The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sucker Punch by Mark Southworth (201 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
He sounds like an adult who realizes that magic is an expensive pastime.
DaCardician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DaCardician
1st day in the Café and the 1st 2 responses to my contribution here remind me why I don't get on with magicians..

Pagasus.. no I don't know what I sound like.. I would ask you to enlighten me but I really am not interested. £40 is not a lot when you think of how much you actually get with this set. I honestly don't know what problem you have with my post. And I don't even know who Mateel is,

Slackering.. Yes I am an adult, and I have always known magic was expensive. I don't get the point of your post?

I thought everyone was entitled to their opinion. I must be mistaken
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
DaCardician,

You made some perfectly good points and expressed yourself well. Pegasus came off rude and judgemental. I think Slackerking was defending you but his post was not completely clear.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
DaCardician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DaCardician
Oops.. if that's the case Slackering then my apoogies. Pegasus post put me on the defensive.

And thanks MagicMike.. I appreciate that. That's all was getting at, for someone looking to test the waters with coin gaffs.. it seems a perfectly viable entry into the coin for a reasonable cost.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The fact you kept mentioning the word 'mere' suggested to me that you wanted to put across to us that you're loaded and that money is no object. If that was not the case then I apologise. I hope you shop around before committing to buy this effect. But if not I wish you luck with your purchase.
DaCardician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DaCardician
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, pegasus wrote:
The fact you kept mentioning the word 'mere' suggested to me that you wanted to put across to us that you're loaded and that money is no object. If that was not the case then I apologise. I hope you shop around before committing to buy this effect. But if not I wish you luck with your purchase.

No mate, Im far from loaded. Cash machines will often give me a digital up middle finger when I try to withdraw a tenner a week from payday.

I just know that magic is extremely expensive.. a lot of things, like coin gaffs, I simply can't justify spending the money on when I don't even know if they will suit me. So by a 'mere' £40.. what I meant was that for £40, I could buy a set of gaffs that I could experiment with, and in the realm of magic products, I feel £40 is extremely affordable for anyone (for what you get - a 14 piece set including S***ls and s***t coins, among others).

Then you would have the option of spending a bit more to make the chips workable if / when they start to not work as well, or purchase high quality gaffs once you know which ones suit you.

Thank you for your apology.. things are very easily lost in translation online, so I will also offer my apologies if that's how it came across to you. I hope you now understand what I meant.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, Slackerking wrote:
He sounds like an adult who realizes that magic is an expensive pastime.

DaCardician - Have been reading your posts & Slackerking is spot on with this post of his. I've been buying magic for half a century now & you wouldn't believe some of the junk I've bought, have never used & never will. But despite all the negativity with S.P. I know its a good buy. Should have, could have come better made out of the box. You can make them much better yourself for about double the money you originally paid as I did. I'm very pleased now with their looks & how they perform & I'm sure they'll outlast me.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Sucker Punch – Mark Southworth

Product description : This is one of the hotest release of the end of 2016, a complete set of gaffed poker chip for a very low price. With what's inside, you can do lots and lots of routine, from 3Fly to transpositions, there is a lot you can do with them. But is it any good, especially for that price ? Let's find out !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a small cardboard box, nicely made and printed, with inside everything you need ! First, you get an explanation video, really well made with Eric Jones teaching you routines and moves. I love Eric, his coin magic is outstanding and there is no better teacher for this kind of routine. You also get many chips in the box, 14 to be precise. The exact content is : 4 thin magnetics chips, 2 red and 2 blue which you can combine in order to make a split chip, whether blue/blue, red/red or red/blue. You get 4 regular blue chips and 4 reds. You also get 2 shells, one red and one blue which are double sided. They're all made out of plastic, they're quite lightweight and they have stickers on it. I don't think the quality is that bad ! They seem durable and I can see myself using them on a regular basis. For the price, you can't go wrong !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Accbg9ls5ZQ

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– I don't like the shells at all, they're too big and you have a big border when you insert a chip inside.
– Some may find that the chip are not well made, I do not think so, I like the weight and the look of them, no problem for me.

THE PROS :
– The way the chips are made is very good for disguising the splits. Since the sides of the chips are black, the split gimmick is nearly invisible.
– I also love the fact they provided you with 2 red and 2 blue thin magnetic chip so you can really adapt your routines, whether it's a transposition of a red / blue poker chip in the hand of the spectator (my favorite) or a 3 fly, everything can be done with the set.
– I do not like the shells but they're usable in a real environment, spectators don't care and won't spot the discrepancy.
– For the price, you can't go wrong, the fact you can achieve almost any coin routine possible with a $40 set is very cool.
– I find the chips to be well made and if you take care of them, they should last a long time.
– I think you could remove the stickers and print new one if you want so, I've not tried it but I think it's possible.

Overall rating : I like this set, I can see myself using the chips for a transposition or a 3 fly, they work well and are well made, 3.5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, you have to get some move down, but if you worked with coin before, there should no problem at all, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Tango is well known for its gaff, if you want a higher quality, you can look to custom coin maker.

If you like my review, make sure to check my other one here : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
What's the best way to apply "optically clear teflon tape" to the Sucker Punch chips?
If it were a metal coin I'd apply a square then cut out along the edges with an Xacto knife, but think I might damage the plastic if I slip up?
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I used one of those compass cutter things perfect result 100% fitted
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
I am thinking about putting SUCKER PUNCH on my to get list. Thanks for all the reviews on this!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, bogie wrote:
I am thinking about putting SUCKER PUNCH on my to get list. Thanks for all the reviews on this!

99 percent have already been assigned to the junk drawer. You're lucky, you have hindsight. Save yer mooler.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quite cool to see Eric Jones perform with the SP chips on America's Got Talent!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLK1mOj7uE
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey this is available to reel magic subscribers at the marketplace.....
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Hi, I bought sucker puncher recently, and the magnetic chips are starting to get tough to split.
From reading the thread, it appear a clear tape would help with the slipperyness.
Can ANY clear tape work?

Thanks!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2017, jugagien wrote:
Hi, I bought sucker puncher recently, and the magnetic chips are starting to get tough to split.
From reading the thread, it appear a clear tape would help with the slipperyness.
Can ANY clear tape work?

Thanks!

I would certainly not go with "ANY" as it could mess your stickers up bad taking it off when you eventually need to replace it (or you are a little off putting it on the first time).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Pete McCabe
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Pete McCabe
Just picked up a Sucker Punch set. Having a lot of fun with it. Pros and Cons, like everything. Overall I am very happy with my purchase—this is definitely a bargain for the gaffs you receive and their capabilities.

Here are a couple of points for prospective customers.

1) Poker Chips have several advantages for magic over coins. The biggest is probably that they are familiar, everyday items. People may recognize your old Liberty halves and Morgan dollars, but they are neither familiar nor everyday. Of course, old, rare, beautiful, silver coins have their own atmosphere, which poker chips will never recreate. It all depends on your presentation.

Another advantage is that the colors are easily distinguishable. I have seen magicians do copper silver routines in the Close up Gallery at the Magic Castle, under controlled lighting, with me just 10 feet away, and it was very hard to tell copper from silver. I had the same problem doing a C/S routine for my brother and sister in a living room. Not with these.

Speaking of which, the Sucker Punch poker chips look like poker chips. If you do tricks with them, and call them poker chips, the audience will think they are poker chips. Poker chips come in an endless variety of designs and colors. No one will think these look suspicious, except maybe a hardcore gambler who notices that the edges are black, which would not be a feature in a real gaming chip. Other than that this is a non issue.

The use of labels is a non-issue as far as appearance goes—again, they look like poker chips. They do not look like poker chips with labels on them—they look like regular printed poker chips. You'll be the only one who knows they are labels. If you don't mention the design, no one will notice it.

I can imagine the label might fade over time, so longevity is a reasonable question. But printed poker chips fade with use as well. I've only had mine for a short time. BTW I saw that someone had a set that were misaligned—those must be defective. Return 'em. Mine are perfect.

2) The sliding action of the Sp coin was, for me and many, maddeningly inconsistent. Finally I realized that if my fingers are dry, sliding is very hard. But if my fingers are even a bit moist, sliding is extremely easy. The difference a tiny bit of moisture makes is remarkable. I wouldn't like to lick my fingers openly during a show, but it's not hard to do secretly while getting ready and it works perfectly. I may have to break out my sortkwik and do the old bit where you put some on your earlobe, so if you need it in performance you idly rub your ear. You can also have a drink with ice, and moisten your fingers any time you pick it up to take a sip.

3) They do not talk. This makes click passes less good but makes your fear of your coins talking much much better! Anything that lets you handle your props in a more casual manner makes the magic stronger.

4) I don't know every gimmicked coin available, but I know a lot of them, and there are things you can do with this set that you can not do with any commercial gimmicks I know. Like this bit, for a transposition effect: introduce the two SP coins, one red-red and the other blue-blue; show both sides. In the course of explaining that the coins are going to change places, separate each gaff and openly swap one piece of each set from hand to hand, thus assembling your B/R gimmicks on the fly. This is where the non-talking quality really shines!

5) I love Eric's Trinity routine. While playing around with it I realized that you can separate the SP coin and put one piece under the SH coin and the other on top. The result is a single unit that can be displayed on both sides and tossed in the air as one chip, and then ditched without talking or coming apart. That's really handy.

6) If you have read Scripting Magic, then 1) thanks, hope you found it useful, and 2) these gaffs are perfect for "Repeat." This is one of the goofiest scripts in magic but the magic, with the Sucker Punch gimmicks, is really incredibly clean and strong.

Highly recommended.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
5) I like your idea for holding out the set of gaffs in combination Nice, and simpler than trying to add in a shim!

4) You've actually stumbled onto an idea that's basically the same as one of the things Chastain does in Cartel Coins: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11647 So it isn't something "new" (what is, these days?) but it is something that doesn't seem to have been done a lot before. Smile

7) I keep thinking about (but haven't yet) getting an extra set and putting a different set of colors on them. You get four-(unique)-colored matrices, three (or four) fly with different coins, etc, all powered by interesting combinations of the gaffs. Which I like the idea of, because most magicians only have three colors to work with: Copper, Silver, and Brass/Chinese (with a hole that I never liked much.)
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You, Pete and awesome tips! Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Just got this. I'm a beginner with coins and I can easily do the "Sun and Moon". I'm very happy with the purchase. The chips look fine and the tutorial is good. I have no problem splitting. I'm having difficulty with the "Circular Change" doing the circular motion with the 1 chip. (Applying too much pressure, it splits, too little I can't get the 'united' chip in motion). Anyone else having that problem?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sucker Punch by Mark Southworth (201 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL