The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Narrowing down the right "card to wallet" wallet for me. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habanero
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Habanero
Hey there,

Hope this is posted in the right section.

I am new to the forms and quite new to magic.

I am interested in picking up a wallet so I can do the Card to Wallet trick. I am learning fundamental slight of hand card tricks, and I think this would provide me with a nice way to make a card disappear, and then reappear in an unsuspecting location.

Here are some aspects I am interested in (or not interested in) and maybe you guys with more experience and awareness of the different options available can make a recommendation. Hoping to place my order this week.

1. I want a billfold wallet for my back pocket, not the long ones for coat pockets. Maybe one that can actually hold bills at their full length in the back of the wallet (thats the kind I have now).
2. I have no need to touch the wallet to the deck of cards, as I am not interested in incorporating the wallet into the routine, other than having it as the location where the card goes. So I am fine with learning to palm a card and putting in the practice.
3. I would prefer a window where I can also store my drivers license, and then the card appears behind my license maybe? This is not necessary though. If it does have this option, I don't want to lose my drivers license by having it slide out of the card entrance, if that makes sense.
4. I want to use it as my daily wallet. I rarely carry cash (but I need a place to put it when I do), only my drivers license and about 5 or 6 cards.
5. I want something that actually looks like a designer wallet, not just plain black, or cheap looking (thats a deal breaker for me). Nice leather with texture is a must.
6. I will probably only use the trick once per display, maybe once per week at most. No need for reset restrictions.
7. I don't think I am interested in using an envelope, just the card in the wallet should be fine for me.
8. No buttons, or money clips, or magnets, or weird metal things sticking out of the wallet. Internal zipper would be OK maybe?
9. No magic related logos or embossing.
10. I am good up to $100 price range.
11. I would appreciate a video instruction DVD or download to be included, since I have never owned / used one before.
12. I would like one that is a "fast" or "easy" load. I don't want to be fooling around with my wallet because its difficult or awkward to load. I just want to palm the card, reach for my wallet, load it, pull out the wallet, and open it to show the card is internally in the wallet, inside of a compartment (not just laying in the wallet when you open it).
13. Oh, and I am not interested in performing to other magicians or on YouTube. Just everyday people who probably have never seen this before.

Hope I am not asking too much, but I know there are a lot of options out there. I am interesting in having this gimmick on me at all times, and being able to make use of it when I have the opportunity.

The closest thing I have seen so far that meets most of my interests would be the Speed Loader Plus wallet. Not sure if it holds bills full length in the back of the wallet? Also, it doesn't have a clear display for your Drivers License, but maybe I don't need that?

Let me know what you would recommend.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Habanero
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Habanero
Excellent recommendation.

Although I am not sure if I like the coin pocket with the snap on the back, I think the wallet you recommended fits most of my criteria. A texture on the leather would be a nice addition, but I do like the functionality of this wallet, both in the daily use, and in the magic application. Now that I see it in action in the video, I do like that the card is in a zippered compartment. Makes it look more unbelievable than if it were just peeking out of a card slot or something. Might go with this one.
KentuckySlim
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of KentuckySlim
I'm a big fan of the Real Man's Wallet by Steve Draun (mostly due to the price point - so I don't feel bad dinging it up by carrying it all the time) and I do currently carry it as my every day wallet: for sale via PenguinMagic.com.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GUgpHRRwdQ
The only downsides I've found so far are the snap closure instead of the zipper in the Jerry O'Connell wallets and the loading of the card is a little bit knackier than the O'Connell wallets.
I personally use my ID as a slide/guide with the Real Man's Wallet and it works perfectly - from what I've heard you do not need any sort of guide for the O'Connell wallets, but I'm not as familiar with those products.
Carta Mundi
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carta Mundi
Http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/r......der.html

This is a great wallet and I believe it meets most your criteria. It's basically the real man's wallet combined with the speed loader plus wallet.
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
You might try looking inWallets by Jerry O'Connell. I have one and the quality is second to none.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, Habanero wrote:

12. I would like one that is a "fast" or "easy" load. I don't want to be fooling around with my wallet because its difficult or awkward to load. I just want to palm the card, reach for my wallet, load it, pull out the wallet, and open it to show the card is internally in the wallet, inside of a compartment (not just laying in the wallet when you open it).

Hope I am not asking too much, but I know there are a lot of options out there. I am interesting in having this gimmick on me at all times, and being able to make use of it when I have the opportunity.

As far as number 12, it sound like you want an automatic Card to Wallet, without any interaction or ability on your part. To my knowledge there is no such wallet. All of them require the performers ability and much be practiced extensively to work out the performers short comings. The use of misdirection, motivation, and abilities all come into play in almost all tricks including the Card to Wallet. Spectator and audience management, as well as your surroundings all come into play.

Being you want a rear pocket wallet, this is probably the most difficult to get away with, because of the human hand and it limitations, and people that may be behind you and to the far sides of you position among the spectators involved and not involve across the room or street.

I don't believe there is a wallet that meets all your criteria, for the reasons I have put forth. Even the Real Man's Wallet is best presented from the front pockets, and the reason given is because the to help prevent the possibility of pick pocketing.

I would suggest with all your conditions, you purchase the Card To Wallet hard bound book, read it and you will come to the answers you are asking. Like most, every suggestion you add more conditions, and that is the way most people are. So get the book, read it and it will help you greatly at understanding this magic effect. There are over a hundred different kinds of wallets and I am sure you will find something you don't like about every one, I know I do when researching them.

I think the most basic wallet would be your best investment, and you can make that yourself, just buy an ordinary wallet, and the book will explain how to make the adjustment to perform the Card to Wallet. From there you will be able to make an informed decision, concerning this powerful effect.

Here is where to purchase the book.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/card-t......er-book/

And yes, with your conditions, you are asking to much of a magic trick that depends more on the performer then then the wallet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Narrowing down the right "card to wallet" wallet for me. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL