The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Plays Big and packs small (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
What are you doing in your kid shows that

PB & PS?

Temple Screen with silk loads and a ten foot pole for the final load.... kills by the way Smile

Rope

Jumbo Cards

Dye Box (not so small but my only "prop")

20th Century Silks

Card Silks

Aldo’s Knot Knotts

Party of Six by David Acer

What’s Next

Juggling Balls and Silks

Balloons

I could do 40 minutes easy with rope and jumbo cards but my goal is not to drive them away!

Smile

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4811 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thing's that are 'easy to carry' is always something on my mind.

A "Square Circle" for a special birthday (a friend) is okay once in a while, but can be a real pain to carry.

Some items that come to mind would be:

1) What's Next (a classic)

2) In the news (another Tenyo, but play's big) kid's really love it.

3) Acrobatic Silks (need I say more?)

4) Any good rope tricks

5) Linking Rings (another classic)

6) Any Jumbo card effect's

7) $100 bill change w/mismade (play's big)

8) A Change Bag (unlimited use's)

The above list has enough magic for an entire neighborhood, and best of all, everything packs flat in your case, and is light!

Just my two cents! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi John!

My favorites!

1)Goshman Sponge Balls

2)Monster Hat

3)Large Nesting Wand

4)Dove Pan With Candy

5)Mouth Coil (my favorite!!!)

6)Professor’s Nightmare

7)Card On Ceiling

8)Rainbow Wand

Sincerely,

Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
My whole kids’ show packs in one small case that acts as my tabletop when I screw it onto the flanged, fold-up table base.

Basic rule of kids’ shows (which are usually done in someone’s home):

The host/hostess does not want you filling up space that s/he has allocated for activities; what s/he wants is for you to fill up time!

If you bring more than one case, you may give a great show; but you’re being a pain in the butt to the host/hostess (who, after all, is the one that is usually paying you!)

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
True enough. However, since I also do ventriloquism, I have to bring a second case--the one that holds Rudy Redwood, the star of the show!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Knife through arm

arm chopper

ritual of the pentagram by Burger

making blood seem to ooze out of the birthday childs head

Gypsy monte

finger fantasies using a meat cleaver

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yeah, right, Ichazod...

Didn't you forget the bullet catch?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Scott, naturally the "one case" theory is just that -- a theory.

In your case (no pun, honest!), you obviously need a second case and that's fine. What I meant was the performer who shows up for a forty-minute show with four trunks!

Ichazod, on the other hand, obviously needs a second case -- just to remove the body parts! Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Smile

Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Alright Ichazod, I wanna book you for my Halloween Party next year! Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
I just got Dan Harlan's "Pack Small Play Big Kid's Birthday Show" video. It is pretty good and provides some guidance on how to plan and pack a suitcase to do an entire show. His use of a ditch bag is I think, a great way to "clean up" after each routine. Does anyone else use this? His "Shake It Up" routine is really nice. Although I didn't care for some of the others (but I'm not a 10 year old!) It really got me thinking about developing a show that I can do..

Anyone else seen this video and what are your thoughts.

Paul
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Thanks Paul, I was wondering about that video. I may have to get that one. Good point BTW about not being a 10 year old. That is something that I need to keep in mind from time to time when choosing new effects for my kid show.
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Bev Bergeron put out a video through, I think, US Toy Company which showed him doing a children's birthday party. Even his table packed small!

No, I don't sell it but you may get it from Bev at

http://www.bevbergeron.com/

No offense, but I think a lot of parents are not happy with the performer producing anything from the mouth, though the kids usually don't mind Smile

Brian Flora has a routine with a mouthcoil on his outdoor show video which gets around this.

I use (and sell) an egg-bag made as a fez. And did anyone mention the colored paper tear to hat?

The coloring book, especially if it is a bit unusual, always seems to get a great reaction.

And multi-color ropes which join together.

Hope this helps.

Have a Magic 2002

John Williams

http://www.ezytodo.com/aladdin/

subscribe to our free ezine
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
funmagic
View Profile
New user
Patrick Cordier
29 Posts

Profile of funmagic
All very interesting comments, but after spending all my life in the Entertainment Industry I am a firm believer in "Showmanship" and prefer to make my performing area as 'Magical' as possible so I use a suitcase type Roll on table that contains all my props (OK it's heavy but it's on wheels). I also have my Rabbit and Dove in separate cages decorated to appear 'Magical' without revealing the contents. 90% of my props are of the play big/pack small type but the REAL showstoppers are just too big to carry in a normal suitcase.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Funny you should mention Dan Harlan's play big, pack small, kids' birthday show tape.
I have it and watched it and really was not all that impressed, at first. I watched it and said, "Gee, this is not all that." But, I had a lot going on, so I put it away for later reviewing.

After watching it again, that little voice inside my head (d**m those aliens and missing time), said 'This is workable, stuff.' His presentation style is not mine, nor did I expect it to be!

I did not like what he does with balloons, not my kind of humor, so I took that out and use a running balloon gag, which turns into a rather nice large balloon gift for the child.

His productions are cool and give you something to work with--how about putting your name on the candy wrappers, I have seen these before, just wish I remember where.

So, after watching the tape again, I gained a few ideas and two tricks, and a different view on how to think about doing kid shows. As I am new to magic, this was a nice help.

At any rate, this tape does have useful information on it, Just absorb what is useful, change what you do not like or use and pack it small.

Kevin Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Kevin,

I agree with you. And your comments apply to almost every tape I view. My opinion is that Harlens not what I would classify as a top Kid Show entertainer. In a mixed audience it is workable, but, like you, what he did is not my style. Some thing are useable though. If it matched your personality.

Please don't take that I didn't like what he does, I am different and I know my style would not be liked by many others.
Dennis Michael
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Hey Dennis,

I am happy to see someone understood what I wrote! Yes, Dan does have some useful information, but it is not me, nor is it for most of those I know who, work childrend's parties. This should not discount some of the tricks he does do, which are good. I however would say, if you had a choice between his tape and say, David Ginn or Sammy Smith or a good book, I would go with David, Sammy or the book.

On a side note issue, when you buy a tape, (or book), no one should be trying to copy what they see 100%. You have to change it, add and subtract things and make it your own. Dan's style is not mine, but I hear he does good business-power to the brother! I learned a trick or two, which I will be able to use, so the tape was good for me-how much value can you place on a trick, you will perform a few dozen times? For me, I can say, worth the cost of the tape.

Just me ranting after a long day, on the street.

Kevin Smile
Ed the Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Whittier, Ca
32 Posts

Profile of Ed the Magic Guy
Tricks that I like to perform that pack flat and play big are:

Color Changing Silks,
Mouth Coil,
Blow Tube,
Cards Across,
Professor's Nightmare,
Cut & Restored Rope,
Sketch O Magic,
Miser's Dream,
A Balloon routine with the birthday child,

Any of the tricks that have an object appear on the back of the helper (I use one by Ken Scott with a birthday cake).

All of these have comedy and bits of business throughout.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ed,

Where did you get your comedy bits?
I am a collector of such bits and I am always looking for more. It is these comedy bits that make the act entertaining.

Kevin

Although what you say is true, however, for the beginner to gain confidence, a large portion of some skits are so powerful, that they should be copied for learning purposes. For example, Sammy Smith's VHS Video Blow tube routine is short and real funny. His moves are excellent and should be used. Now, one can build on it by a silk production, then end it with a silk vanish.

Another example is David's Ginn's Disecto routine. It is very close to the routine done by Eugene Coyle in Hudson's Chopper Cappers.

When it comes to entertaining the kids, a beginner will be "eaten alive" if he trys to be original. Originality comes with experience, experience comes with doing numerous shows and seeing what works and what doesn't for the entertainer. Although this may seem like I advocate copying another, I don't. It's using what works to break into the field and discover oneself. It's a start but it will not make you famous and rich. If one really thinks about it, we all started out this way in our distant past!
Dennis Michael
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Things that play "big" and pack "small" are often flat and large. Like the three "find the queen" cards, fraidy cat rabbit (which replaces the bulkier hippity hop rabbits), paper tears, what's next, the trick with the three rabbits cards and the carrots, effo the elephant, and what's next.
Other tricks that fit this catagory squish or pack really small like sponge items, appearing and disappearing canes, silks tricks, rope tricks, appearing pole/wand/etc.
Finally, if you do them, balloon animals play really big and pack really small.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Plays Big and packs small (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL