The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » An interesting idea to play with. (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I had an interesting thought the other night that maybe some of you might want to explore.

Lots of performers do a BIRTH date reveal.

But imagine this as a hypothetical scenario: you take your participant on a journey - perhaps in a dream that you have them imagine. While there, they are walking through a cemetery and come across a tombstone that stands out for some reason or other. When they read it, they are horrified to see that it has THEIR name inscribed on it and.... date of death - which you reveal, through any method used for birth date revelations. Doesn't have to play out exactly like this, but the idea has gotten me thinking about ways to make this more interesting and applicable. Perhaps it could be the actual death date of someone they once knew (who has passed) instead. It is heavy and rather dark, but some folks like that sort of flavor.

I could see this somehow being incorporated into a spook show or possibly a seance setting, or even just a straight bizarre show.

Thought I'd pass it along and maybe open up an interesting discussion. What do you think?
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Codex V allows for any reveals you care to spin.
Timon has a particularly good routine he has shared to owners.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Gismologic wrote:

I forgot all about the Timon death date script. Thanks for reminding me. It's a good one!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Gismologic wrote:
Codex V allows for any reveals you care to spin.

I'm not familiar with Codex V. It looks like it may be something I have to check out.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Well....that's disappointing.

I can't part with hundreds just to find out what it "is". Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
It's a wonderful book... I have one
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
David Parr does a routine called the "Last Dream" (he was actually selling the custom tombstones with your name on them for a while) it was about a dream seeing the tombstones then realizing your name was on it then the date
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
It's also in the book he did with Bob Neale called the Magic Mirror
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Well....that's disappointing.

I can't part with hundreds just to find out what it "is". Smile

Sudo, keep your eyes peeled...from time to time one comes up on the secondary market. It is a wonderful prop.

All the best,

David
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks for the info guys.

@gothicmagic: Yes, the Neal routine is wonderful and something I immediately thought about pairing this idea with. Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
During the journey, they could stop at the grave, rub away dirt to reveal the date...do your routine and add in a form of ashes in the palm or arm...no mention it, let them discover it if you see what I mean...
I've asked to be banned
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Nice idea Iain!
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
This thread caused me to buy a copy of codex from a fellow Café user. Thanks both literally for turning onto this great item and sarcastically for causing me to spend more money!!!
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
At last year's ICBM Gathering, I presented a version of Christian Chelman's 'The Immortal' from Hauntiques. It involves an audience member who represents the fictitious character in a story. He is obsessed with knowing his date with death.

Whilst the tension wasn't over obvious during the performnce, the audience participant told me later that his stomach muscles tightened and his heart rate quickened as we drew nearer the climax! Other members of the audience also said that they were similarly gripped!

To be facing that sort of knowledge is a quite heavy and daunting experience, even within a performance of entertainment.

Handle with care!
Stories....?....That's telling!
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Anyone know where hauntiques is still being sold? I can find Capricornial Tales but not Hauntiques.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I don't know how bad you want it, but...
https://www.amazon.com/HAUNTIQUES-Bizarr......0211J1HY

He is also a member here, so you can PM him directly.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Not that bad!
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
A correction: Christian Chelman's story "The Immortal" can be found in Capricornian Tales, not Hauntiques. As others have said, it is a very good story and effect.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Apologies - my mistake! Smile
Stories....?....That's telling!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, Leslie Melville wrote:
At last year's ICBM Gathering, I presented a version of Christian Chelman's 'The Immortal' from Hauntiques. It involves an audience member who represents the fictitious character in a story. He is obsessed with knowing his date with death.

Whilst the tension wasn't over obvious during the performnce, the audience participant told me later that his stomach muscles tightened and his heart rate quickened as we drew nearer the climax! Other members of the audience also said that they were similarly gripped!

To be facing that sort of knowledge is a quite heavy and daunting experience, even within a performance of entertainment.

Handle with care!

Christian's "The Immmortal," is a wonderful piece of theatre when presented properly. Here is my take on it:

https://youtu.be/HMvLGHgl2J4
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » An interesting idea to play with. (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL