The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Compitition (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9667 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Right now it appears the trampoline place has better "value" even though they have negative reviews. That ALONE should tell you something.

If only someone would have mentioned these things prior to your opening this place you could have considered them and planned for this.

Also this trampoline place is/has created a opportunity for you that I believe you are missing. (Now don't take this the wrong way...) Take a page out of the Trump/Clinton advertising campaigns. I mean in the sense of direct some focus to the weaknesses of their business and the opportunity it can present to your own. There is ALWAYS at least one thing (perhaps several actually) that any parent is concerned with when shopping for your type of services more than price. Use these two things to your advantage. Your success here will not be based on your games or internal components, but rather the solution and opportunity you are providing to parents and these groups. I would be so excited about this business with the right perspective.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Mindpro wrote: direct some focus to the weaknesses of their business and the opportunity it can present to your own. There is ALWAYS at least one thing (perhaps several actually) that any parent is concerned with when shopping for your type of services more than price. Use these two things to your advantage.

I was literally doing that between talking here. I updated a promo video comparing me to some of my competition, but I am not wanting to come across as slanderous or petty or whatever. So how would you point out the concerns about a particular place (injury, crowds, temperature etc) without being a D-bag?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doing that is always a sign of a business in trouble. It never turns out well.

You build yourself up, not tear others down. Yes look at the campaigns, and look at how poorly those two particular people are perceived in general.

You need to say why you are better, not why someone else is worse. Stand on your own merits.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9667 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, that's not at all what I meant. As I specifically said, "don't take this the wrong way."
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

You said:
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
(Now don't take this the wrong way...) Take a page out of the Trump/Clinton advertising campaigns. I mean in the sense of direct some focus to the weaknesses of their business and the opportunity it can present to your own. There is ALWAYS at least one thing (perhaps several actually) that any parent is concerned with when shopping for your type of services more than price. Use these two things to your advantage. Your success here will not be based on your games or internal components, but rather the solution and opportunity you are providing to parents and these groups. I would be so excited about this business with the right perspective.

"point out the weaknesses of their business that parents would be concerned about" means to me compare the problems with the other businesses and compare them to my own. What am I missing?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That it is a dumb idea no matter whose it is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9667 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Kameron Messmer wrote:
"point out the weaknesses of their business that parents would be concerned about" means to me compare the problems with the other businesses and compare them to my own. What am I missing?

I never said "point out the weaknesses" I said focus on the weaknesses" but not in a direct ad or campaign as in the election (I wa speaking in premise like Coca Cola, McDonald's and many others who do this every day), but in your overall business approach, indirectly. Making a video for social media is also not at all what I was referring to. I'm strictly meaning in the sense of directing focus on the elements of your business THAT ARE CONSCIOUSLY OR SUBCONSCIOUSLY MOST IMPORTANT to the targets of your business - parents, adults, leaders, etc. It is about knowing and understanding the interests, needs, concerns and hot button aspects of those you are targeting (not what you think) often even that they themselves do not realize or identify. This should be part of the foundation of your business, approach and promotion.

The most successful business operate form this perspective of having this understanding of their target prospects and creating a business approach and model based upon this. Nothing will resonate and impact them more. This is why I say it's not about your games, or your magic show (while they may play a role) its about a greater picture of business. As I have also said before, entertainment business is much different than conventional business.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22166 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kameron, you are doing what you always do, justify your position when asking for help. If you have all the answers, why are you asking for advice. If you don't understand, then ask for clarification.

When I said send a card, it had nothing to do with emails. Who sends an email to a 3 year old or even a 5 year old. I was saying to design a greeting card, or have a artist design one for your the idea of your business. Then print it on a greeting card for follow up, use the U.S. Mail service, a physical greeting card. Same for the birthday greeting card, if you have a video picture you can capture of the child, put that on a birthday card and send it with a happy birthday wish. This reminds them of you and they fun they had last year or even 2 years ago.

Billing may not be the norm, but that means they talk and interact with each other. Even if one person sees your ad, that person may say they seen it to another person.

I am sorry, but you just are not grasping the concept of WALUE. Every marketing promotion needs to tell, WHO, WHAT, Where, HOW, and WHY they should be interested in your business. Each word, has multiply answers. Example: Who are you, who is running it, who should I contact.

I find it interesting that because you got 6 booking, all is well again. So after those 6 bookings are completed, and the phone does not ring, are you coming back to the Café and ask why again. Every day there are multipliable births, you should be booked up a year in advance.

The old saying, If you build it they will come is not true for a business that requires people to attend and pay for $225.00.

I suggest you take a marketing course, to understand what it takes to run a business.

In the course I took, they had the head of advertisement lecture. He said J.C. Penny spends 1/3 of their profits on advertising. You spend nothing, and with your attitude toward the town's people you are in, what are you getting - Nothing.

Danny Doyle and Mind Pro, have given you HOW you need to change your perception of your business. And you reject and justify why your are right with everything.

Just keep doing and thinking the way your are, you have to fail before your realize they may have had some good information for you to use.

Don't take this the wrong way, this is how I see what you are saying and thinking, I am trying to make you realize you need some changes in your thinking and actions.

Don't want to do the work, then hire a part time person to do the computer program work. As and if you grow, a business of this nature will take more then 2 people.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Kameron, you are doing what you always do, justify your position when asking for help. If you have all the answers, why are you asking for advice. If you don't understand, then ask for clarification.

When I said send a card, it had nothing to do with emails. Who sends an email to a 3 year old or even a 5 year old. I was saying to design a greeting card, or have a artist design one for your the idea of your business. Then print it on a greeting card for follow up, use the U.S. Mail service, a physical greeting card. Same for the birthday greeting card, if you have a video picture you can capture of the child, put that on a birthday card and send it with a happy birthday wish. This reminds them of you and they fun they had last year or even 2 years ago.

Billing may not be the norm, but that means they talk and interact with each other. Even if one person sees your ad, that person may say they seen it to another person.

I am sorry, but you just are not grasping the concept of WALUE. Every marketing promotion needs to tell, WHO, WHAT, Where, HOW, and WHY they should be interested in your business. Each word, has multiply answers. Example: Who are you, who is running it, who should I contact.

I find it interesting that because you got 6 booking, all is well again. So after those 6 bookings are completed, and the phone does not ring, are you coming back to the Café and ask why again. Every day there are multipliable births, you should be booked up a year in advance.

The old saying, If you build it they will come is not true for a business that requires people to attend and pay for $225.00.

I suggest you take a marketing course, to understand what it takes to run a business.

In the course I took, they had the head of advertisement lecture. He said J.C. Penny spends 1/3 of their profits on advertising. You spend nothing, and with your attitude toward the town's people you are in, what are you getting - Nothing.

Danny Doyle and Mind Pro, have given you HOW you need to change your perception of your business. And you reject and justify why your are right with everything.

Just keep doing and thinking the way your are, you have to fail before your realize they may have had some good information for you to use.

Don't take this the wrong way, this is how I see what you are saying and thinking, I am trying to make you realize you need some changes in your thinking and actions.

Don't want to do the work, then hire a part time person to do the computer program work. As and if you grow, a business of this nature will take more then 2 people.

Yep.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9667 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I think Bill hits on something here that I see as way to common. Guys that get a run or wave of bookings an mistakenly believe "all is well" when in reality it isn't and as Bill says "what happens after these 6 bookings are gone?" It is back to concern or perhaps even panic again. This is not a great business model to operate upon as you are always chasing and hoping for your next booking, then rinse and repeat. This creates the stereotypical ups and downs of many entertainers, especially full-timers.

The time to "do something" is not when things are bad, at the bottom or in troubled times, or in desperation, but when things are on an upswing in an effort to maintain and evolve it into more.

I have often said, I could go anywhere in the country to any decent performer and get them say five, ten or a dozen gigs, but without a business operational system in place, they would simply do those gigs and be back exactly to where they were before I got them those gigs. That is not sustainable, especially for the long-term.

Kameron is sitting on an opportunity that he may not realize or even if he does, know how to capitalize and monetize properly for sustainability and growth. I once had a place similar to Kameron's. We built it up and sold it at it's peak time and never looked back. We went into it with the proper knowledge, plan and business model, including a predetermined exit strategy that was lucrative for all involved.

6 bookings will not really fix anything except perhaps relieve a little stress knowing that rent and electric and payroll can be met for another month.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

My comment about the 6 bookings were not "oh, good everything is fine" It was more "Why is it so slow, now compared to last year?" after freaking out the last 2 days and then getting 6 (now 8) bookings told me I won't have to hang myself. I am fully aware that 6-10 bookings won't save anything but it tells me all is not lost. I want to respond to more because I think a lot of this is mis communication and lack of inflection via internet. I have misunderstood some of the things said here and I have been misunderstood and some things just haven't been clearly stated. One thing is the "not spending money on advertising" because my main focus is Facebook. To clarify, I am not just posting to FB and hoping it gets around. I have PAID facebook ads to specific markets of people. I do spend money on ads. I do trade for radio ads. Facebook is more than "Free social network" advertising and I didn't clarify. I wish I could say more but I have to officiate my little sisters wedding on top of parties... '

I do appreciate the feedback and advice. I am not trying to justify, I just think we are on 2 different pages of the conversation sometimes...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are doing exactly what you always do. Looking for agreement.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
How certain are you that the new place is even directly related to your bookings? Perhaps they are pulling from other potential options.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22166 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Charliecheckers, you are correct, we had a Trampoline place open some years back here, and it was advertised on television. Then the local news reported the same thing about the accidents. Have not heard anything about the business since. Just Google-ed it and found they are a business that opened 5 different places/buildings for different activities.

I don't think this kind of sports activity would be a competition for kids birthday party business. We do have a couple of "party" businesses that will set up the Monte Carlo Nites, parties, weddings, etc. events. These are more of a competitor then for a party room then a huge building with a dozen Trampolines in the floor. It is not really a party setting, just jumping and doing flips. These are more of a fun way to get exercise. But these place charge a lot more then $250.

So the answer is focus on you business and get the word out about your services and keep doing it every day.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

This summer things slowed down a bit and after some research ( a lot of talking to moms) they said in Montana the weather is nice for 3 months so they do things outside, or don't do big birthday things because the kids are not at school and don't see their friends ever day. ok, fine. Then it started to get cold and I wasn't getting as many bookings as last year and some moms said they were getting invites, but they were mostly from the trampoline place. Since they are a big fancy franchise and not a local business it gets a lot of attention.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

I want to thank all of you for putting up with me. I am trying to figure out how to implement all this advice. Sometimes the advice I get here is not as actionable or clear on what steps to take. Communication breaks down in text and things get misunderstood... I have about 10 different ideas for marketing floating around right now and Mindpro is lending a helping hand. On the other upside I have been getting more contacts and gigs so all is not lost. Thanks again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Compitition (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL