The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Interested people list (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We all keep lists of past clients and contact them on an appropriately regular basis. I know this and it is not my question.

My question is, do you keep lists of people who have voiced interest in seeing your show? There are people who enjoy my work and are always asking when and where they can see me perform. Of course that is an ego stroke. I am thinking about setting up some kind of list to e-mail these people directly, rather than a word press or web site. Anyone do this? If so what platform do you use? I have to imagine people like this make good free word-of-mouth advertising.

Before you ask, no, I do not have a herd of groupies following me. This would be a short list.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have tried this in the past with minimal results. When I was on the air I would get people all the time who would ask this and yes, they would indeed come out to my public appearances and performances. However, after retiring from t.v. and radio, when it pertains only to my performing itself, to me this falls into the same category as people coming up to you after a show telling you how great you were, how much they enjoyed the show and so on. While these comments are nice, they are very superficial, technically obligatory, and rarely carry their weight at face value.

Many people just say these things or ask these questions as it seem to be the expected etiquette thing to do. I do have a email list that I will include them on and when I'm in their area will blast them, and it can get a handful of direct results, but rarely worth much more effort to me personally. Funny you should use the word "groupies" as many of us as performers do have a small hardcore group of fans that want to come to every performance they can, want to talk to you like we are old friends, and start getting the feeling like they are an insider to you. This can be very weird and strange. I've even tried purposely not to let them know of my shows, yet they still seem to find out and will drive hundreds of miles to a show or even a string of several shows in a row, often trying to stay at the same hotel as you too. It is very odd. That has been my experience with this. I too would be curious to hear others.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I appreciate your answer Mindpro, and I am not trying to be funny or rude.... You sound like you are less describing a groupie and more describing a stalker. Good gosh, people really did that to you?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
For the record, I have had a couple of those too (seriously). Oh, I could tell you some stories. The word "fan" is used very casually these days but in reality it is short for "fanatic." That's what some of these people are truly defined as.
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
462 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I agree very much with it producing minimal results. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing at all, but each business person has to consider how much time and effort it is worth putting into tracking that sort of thing.

I tell people that they can sign up for my email newsletter and show them how to do it and leave it at that, or invite them to "Like" my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, etc. They only really actually do it about 1/4 of the time, even if they excitedly say they will do so.

Most of the time if I actually collect business cards from people, I put them into an email folder in my Constant Contact account (which I've been growing for many years) and send them the occasional just-for-fun emails (like video clips) or updates about my public shows and such like. The rest of my folders are current and previous corporate clients, event venues, agents, etc. But I don't think you are trying to turn this into a thread about how to do email marketing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Interested people list (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL