The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now Unveiled from Dark Artifice: ORACULUM by Bobby Hasbun (210 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
Just want to do a shout out to Bobby.

What a wonderful book! The Oraculum reached my shore a while back, but I only opened it last week to celebrate the birth of my best friend's daughter. Her fortune was told. Many more to come.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
This book simply rocks.... I have used it twice so far for small groups and it made me look great.

I have to say that the thinking that went into this just blows me away. The tarot addition is the icing on the cake.

Ray
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
59 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2017, Magical Dimensions wrote:
This book simply rocks.... I have used it twice so far for small groups and it made me look great.

I have to say that the thinking that went into this just blows me away. The tarot addition is the icing on the cake.

Ray

I absolutely agree. The more I use it, the more I like it.
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
After using this a fair amount for almost a month, I wanted to post my thoughts on the usage of it.

This will come as a surprise to no one who owns this, I’m sure, but: this book has lived up to my highest expectations.

I’ll start off by saying that nearly everything I find myself doing lately is in the context of some sort of reading and not “Oooh! Spooky item from beyond the graaaave!”-type stuff, so I’m coming from that viewpoint.

First off, my biggest surprise was how much/often I can use the book to glean the desired info for any myriad of uses which may or may not involve the book beyond that. Being able to say “Before we begin with [whatever], I’d like to have you clear your mind and focus on the energies that follow you. To help with that, if you could read and contemplate on the fortunes that relate to you here…” and I provide the book and simple instructions. They do the front part. Back part. And I’m set. The querent is told to contemplate these things so they are in the “proper, focused mindset” for the reading.

More often than not, I then go into a full Tarot reading, guiding the end result towards the cards in question (I use Baukin’s Unholy Grail so even with a full 78 card deck this is still relatively easy) and then bring it back around to the book (which will reveal the two cards of note.) This is a fantastic ending, and one I don’t milk as a magic trick. No “leave them turned down, read the fortune, then turn them up—oooh, they match!” No “ta da!” Just a response to their surprise that, in fact, this means that they have their head on straight and they “know the right path.”

A couple times, I have not went back to the book at all. Using the Hedge Tarote, I can lead them to a situation where the card leads to specific week (that includes their birthday.) I do a reading on them based on that card, then reveal the date implications of the card and ask if that means anything to them. (If anybody else does this, keep in mind that since you’re inventing the sequence of suits to seasons for the explanation, you can grab the appropriate value of any suit—makes it pretty dang easy, and it opens you up for a more accurate reading depending on the person so you can preemptively decide which suit based on their personality.)

Finally, it goes without saying that I’ve done more simple presentations with only the book. These have been some of the best. I’ll admit that there’ve been a couple times where I just have someone look up their birthday, read their fortune, and I give them a reading based on the two cards. No trick. No effect. Just a cardless reading. If someone didn’t know the tarot well, this could be done with the card meanings in back. Querents have found this very interesting. Admittedly, the first time I did it the intent was to continue on to an effect. But it created such a nice moment and they seemed so satisfied that I just let it be. It’s testament to the books versatility, I suppose, that it can be used in this manner.

So, there you have it. From the effects right out of the manual, to more in-depth effects, to non-effect readings, to simply using the book to get the desired info from the querent to be used for a completely different purpose, the book has served me well so far and proved its flexibility.

I’m giving it three thumbs up.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Pasteboard,
Really nice post...

I have posted my first time using this down in 'Inside the Crypt'. This thing is simply great because you can reveal the gain information whenever you want... Long after the book is put away. I really like the tarot being part of this book.

Ray
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Ok, I just got a call for a show this Saturday night for a large group of over 100, so I would like to do this routine. How could we make this play big?

Or do you guys think that this is better for a one on one or smaller groups? I know that it plays well for smaller groups because I have already done it.

I think that the CODEX V might be better for a larger group....

Any suggestions on making this play a little bigger? Even if I don't use it for this show, it would still be cool to think of ways to use this for larger groups.

Ray
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Ray

I agree with your instinct that Codex w/ play bigger.
Put it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it, describe how long you
had been hunting for an example etc..
Loved One Routine may be best ?
You could Hold hands with one hand and each hold the book w/ the other. (Hands holding book outmost to audience.)
Perhaps allude to "Day of Death" after reveal. (Of course if using a straight up spec data reveal)
Where in your set will you be putting it ?
Best wishes
DD
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Gismologic wrote:
Ray

I agree with your instinct that Codex w/ play bigger.
Put it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it, describe how long you
had been hunting for an example etc..
Loved One Routine may be best ?
You could Hold hands with one hand and each hold the book w/ the other. (Hands holding book outmost to audience.)
Perhaps allude to "Day of Death" after reveal. (Of course if using a straight up spec data reveal)
Where in your set will you be putting it ?
Best wishes
DD

Yes, I think that CODEX-V would be better suited for a larger crowd. I decided not to use either one. If I did, I would have placed it toward the end of the program.

You have nice suggestions for using the CODEX-V and I have made note of it. I like the idea of placing it on an easel with a proper cloth covering it. That sets the ambiance really nice. I will work on building a routine and see where it goes.

The show went really well, and I did luke Jermay's 'Vibrations' for the first time.

Thanks,
Ray
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
I know how to solve the riddle. It still takes working it out. I can't believe I'll be the one. I think I'll end it this weekend. So... I'm the lonely one, the only one who has a clue?
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Good luck Reese! PM me a clue!
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
59 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
If you can figure it out, Reese, you deserve the prize ... gook luck!
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
joemcdull
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of joemcdull
So far, I can only figure out the number refer to the number of blank square in each row of the alpha chat and omega chat, and since both chat has 13 column, adding them together makes it 26 letter, my guess is assign each column a letter column(i.e. First Columns blank square = A, second column blank square = B ......
But I was stuck at a point only getting meaningless words, maybe something about the wax seal envelope which contains the COA, good luck figuring out the rest if my post can help you
KRMarlo
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
7 Posts

Profile of KRMarlo
I just need to add my thanks to this page. Bobby, this is a true work of art, I absolutely love it! I've been playing with the regular edition, and it has integrated seamlessly into my reading with Christopher Gould's KADAR, and the added emotional punch it has given the experience is top notch.

I SO glad this got placed on my radar. Terrific work, Bobby. Much appreciated!
Paul Forster
View Profile
Regular user
Harrogate
179 Posts

Profile of Paul Forster
Is this book still for sale? It looks like a pre order on bobbys website.
Paranormal Entertainer
www.paulforster.co.uk

Proud member of PSYCRETS - British Society of Mystery Entertainers

Member of the Harrogate Society of Magicians
www.harrogatesocietyofmagicians.com
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, Paul Forster wrote:

I ordered yesterday and got an auto-confirm from Bobby's system, so I expect so.
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, Paul Forster wrote:

Hi Paul. Yes, Oraculum is still for sale (though not many are left). If the 'aged' option is selected upon checking out, please allow 3-5 days for the aging process before shipment. Otherwise any unaged orders ship within 2 business days.
magic259
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of magic259
Hi Bobby, over the last few weeks I have been familiarise myself with the Oraculum methods, routines and reveals and I can say without doubt that this is an outstanding piece of work. The thought and detail that has gone into Oraculum is staggering and I think that the routines / reveals are only limited by ones imagination. I like the fact that Oraculum lends itself to different audiences / situations ... on one hand it can be used to present a relatively light routine / reveal (multiple methods), but on the other hand it can be presented as very dark and mysterious (once again with multiple methods).

Lastly, there has been mention (even speculation) of a Tarot Deck that you (Dark Artifice) may release to compliment the Oraculum ... is that a real possibility for the future, and if so, do you have an update?
Paul Forster
View Profile
Regular user
Harrogate
179 Posts

Profile of Paul Forster
My finger hangs over the pay now button. However, without tipping the method, does this require any maths at all? I suffer from a form of dyslexia but with numbers. Even basic maths is near impossible for me. Appreciate your answers In a pm should you now want to say on the open forum.

Thanks
Paul
Paranormal Entertainer
www.paulforster.co.uk

Proud member of PSYCRETS - British Society of Mystery Entertainers

Member of the Harrogate Society of Magicians
www.harrogatesocietyofmagicians.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

This has to be one of the best buys in years.....
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Just an update from an earlier post of mine "Down Below" to fellow Spooky followers on Oraculum.
First a Contrast between Mr. Hasbun's Codex V and Oraculum.

- The Codex V I've been using this past year was purchased from Luca Volpe and it's REALLY aged & distressed, kinda like Outlaw's fine Book of Answers.
- The Oraculum SE is very lightly aged and has a course beige/tan canvas-type binding. Perhaps Mr. Hasbun has found it better to let performers bash it about to get to whatever point they wish. I agree that this is a sound approach that allows for customization.
- Chris Gould reminds us that "Aging takes..Ages."
- Codex has a classic ribbon page marker that does increase some latitude with reveals..
- Oraculum is larger.

The Works
- Nicely expanded and really enables performers that don't do "Divination" to get a nice intro into the world of READINGS" This may be the ultimate contribution to folk that haven't yet been at that end of the pool. This makes Oraculum a very powerful tool in your Kit. - REMEMBER - Specs LOVE to talk about themselves AND Oraculum play s perfectly in this respect as a segue to doing a Horoscope/Tarot effect, or a wide range of "staggered" reveals to several specs.
- The additional coding allows for obtaining a date of Birth JUST by hearing them read a few lines out loud.
- With the knowledge you obtain in a virtual & transparent way, the challenge w/ ORACULUM is to "slow the horse down" and ease into whatever reveal feels right.
- For performers that don't currently do a Bizarre Tarot effect- this perhaps the best integration into darker themes.

Reveals
- The combo of Oraculum & Tarot opens up a wide field of potential.
- Idea number TWO (ANCIENT) is something many of us have done. The "Countdown" principle is perfect for an understated and astonishing reveal,
- Oraculum lends itself to the use of a wide range of other props, I have dusted off my antique "Hand of Cleopatra" to reveal Zodiac signs and THEN get a feel for their Date of Birth I have found it hits MUCH harder if your CLOSE and not exact!

Summary observations
- Codex V and Oraculum are beautiful effects. I am very pleased to have them both in my arsenal.
- Oraculum can be a mind-bender, along the lines that there are multiple layers of experiences for a "Sitter" and the group around that sitter. Oraculum perhaps plays bigger than Spectre in that I have done it around a table-top of ten and everyone is involved, passing around the book checking their own fortunes while engaging in the reveals. I do LOVE Spectre and the back-story is just perfection though!
- Codex V has a more "Arcane" feel to it (to ME!) and allows for a somewhat quicker and very hard hitting journey to reveals. I believe it's perhaps better for "Stand-up" Parlour in that the "HAND" pages can easily be seen in these situations. The "Loved One" routine hits hardest.

In sum - WOW
I have performed Oraculum around 10 times, and the more comfortable you become with it, the better you understand and learn pacing and suspense.
In certain settings I have obtained the data and recorded it for use - later.
I personally have found the "Countdown" method that ultimately gets to two Tarot Cards is fantastic to seque into a quick three card past/presentFuture read or jump into a 9 card read. I use the Deck of the Basta$d.
There is another reveal I have used which employs a pendulum to divine the specs two "Tarot" guides- using a FACE DOWN Major Arcana.
Another PERFECT follow up is Chelman"s "Immortal" from Capricornian Tales"
I tend to think of Codex V as a swift, emotional, stand-up Book- test, that is best used in certain circumstances.
I tend to think of Oraculum as one the most powerful,unassuming and versatile tools for close-up Bizarre.

Hint to new owners - Outlaw's Reflections is perhaps the best "Gateway Drug" into the method. ( Although there have been many other fine effects that employ a similar principle.)
DD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Now Unveiled from Dark Artifice: ORACULUM by Bobby Hasbun (210 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL