The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » KICKSTARTER - HOW TO BE A MAGICIAN (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Just went LIVE > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/514......magician

What do you think?
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Thanks for asking. I think it's a big company asking their customers to pay up front so they face zero upfront production costs.
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
358 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Standard beginner's items at an inflated price - and with the Kick starter risk of losing your money.
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
Are any of the things on here for someone more experienced in magic? I think the idea is awesome, just don't know if it is worth it to me.
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
333 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Ugh...
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of necro555
From the ellusionist email newsletter:

Quote:
:
WHY KICKSTARTER?

Yes, we can afford to fund this ourselves as a company, but the truth is we aren't really sure what the demand would be.

Letting fresh faces who've never heard of magic before be a part of this project on Kickstarter allows us to make magic more inclusive than it's ever been before. Ellusionist is all about being inclusive.

Backers will feel a sense of pride backing their own first step into a new hobby, and it may be something they've always wanted to do.

Magicians even had to try and get a bill through congress to class magic as an ART.

By backing our project with Kickstarter, it helps us to put magic and amazement in more people's hands than ever before. More importantly it shows them the skill that it takes to perform & entertain with magic.

Some people want to be magicians, but they don't know how.

GOT AN IDEA FOR SOMEONE WHO'D LOVE THIS? - BACK IT ON KICKSTARTER NOW

p.s. We've can only guarantee the first 5,000 backers for Xmas Delivery of their new magic kit. So DON'T MISS OUT.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Some highlights that stood out to me...

t's for Dads who want to do tricks for their kids.... dudes who want to impress the ladies (it WORKS)... and any person who wants to do a couple of 'killer' tricks at parties without putting a lampshade on their head!

Here are some more suggestions...

Your Boyfriend or Husband (Now he's less boring at parties)
Your Son or Daughter or Nephew/ (Keep them occupied during your Game Of Throne marathons)
Your estranged nephew you forgot to get a Xmas gift for. (Cheaper than an Xbox)

So lets see Dads dude who want to creep on women at bars then men men men lady men men. It's like they don't think that women and girls are into wanting to learn magic.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think it is stupid. I think you could learn a ton more by subscribing to Reel Magic.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
797 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
It very well may be 'beginner' stuff at an inflated price, but it is targeted toward laypeople.
Think Fastasma Magic sets at ToysRus, but for grown ups.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1350 Posts

Profile of Stucky
This is just laughable. They must need money because no one of substance will work with them anymore.
Official Thread Killer
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Waste of time. Is this a joke?
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I disagree with the comment that it will put magic and amazement back in more people's hands. It will not show audiences the skill. You will risk showing folks the secrets and also how to perform poorly, ultimately cheapening the magic. Magic is not about the tricks! If someone wants to really be a magician it will not be because they bought an overpriced set of tricks. Just my opinion.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Best quote from webpage:
"WHY KICKSTARTER?
Until now, the craftsmanship that goes into these props has been too expensive to bring magic to the mainstream as a hobby."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh man, that is hilarious. Everything is made in China and can be bought very cheaply. Seriously, aim at another market. Magicians know about costs.

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
78 Posts

Profile of Ramius
I remember when Kickstarters were for ideas without access to investment funding, independents to get the project off the planning paper and into reality. This is from a major company, with plenty of production money, and it appears from the trailer, everything is already done. They're just selling it after the fact.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I disagree with this project and everything it stands for.
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
Propdogdan
View Profile
New user
Twickenham, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Propdogdan
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3193 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The product may not be right for you but but that just means you don't buy it.

The project will live or die on its own merit. I salute Ellusionist for investigating a new investment platform.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tomd
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of tomd
Kickstarter has always been intended for people without the start up finances. The platform was born so that creative individuals could go through first time backers and producers, completely nullifying the terrible hierarchy that exists in many creative industries in the 21st century. Good luck getting a film produced the conventional way without insider contacts. The same goes for music, and even scientific fields. Allowing the average man to become a producer (with a perk like a percentage of the profits of the movie), creates a new path for new thinkers, and rewards everyone involved.

The last 5 years has ruined these sites, A list actors and celebrities have been going through these sites for promotion, allowing the 'average' person access and possibly a credit in the final product. These projects could have been funded anyway due to the nature of the people involved, but no, they take the route that an average joe would use as a start up, and they now cover the front page of the site that should be used to show unknown projects and talents.

I like the project ellusionist has thought up, but they have the finances. The project is already done, it's quite clear from the trailer. Why use this site?
btwigg
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA USA
193 Posts

Profile of btwigg
I'm not on the Ellusionist hate train but a Kickstarter for a project they could easily fund themselves just seems weak.
However, there should be no fear in backing the project because Ellusionist knows how to market and they have a talented team.
Speaking of marketing, picking up girls? So juvenile. They should have a Reward Package that includes a TapOut shirt. Ok I'm done. Sorry.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, btwigg wrote:
I'm not on the Ellusionist hate train but a Kickstarter for a project they could easily fund themselves just seems weak.
However, there should be no fear in backing the project because Ellusionist knows how to market and they have a talented team.
Speaking of marketing, picking up girls? So juvenile. They should have a Reward Package that includes a TapOut shirt. Ok I'm done. Sorry.

If you looks this is all off the shelf stuff. The DVDs are done that is how they can say it will be there by Christmas.
I'm not on the hate train either. I have a couple of things from there. I do find it funny that they only talking about males learning magic and using it to creep on women. If this had been Penguin or Vanishing Inc ect ect doing something like this I'm sure the snark would be just as strong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » KICKSTARTER - HOW TO BE A MAGICIAN (30 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL