The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » KICKSTARTER - HOW TO BE A MAGICIAN (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quite cunning how they've effectively used Kickstarter as a pre-order mechanism.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I already am a magician. I certainly have no need for Ellusionist, or a kickstarter.

It's just imported slum from China.

If you're a beginner, spend your money on the Mark Wilson "Complete Course".

If you're serious about learning to be a magician, invest in the Tarbell Course!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2893 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Dave Dee did this stuff Marketing stuff for Suckers & beginners then you spend more money ! what a Joke Markrting Guru's
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
At the end of the day; E are a company who's target market isn't really professional magicians; but teenage kids that have a passing interest in magic; because let's face it; its a much bigger market. Doing something for complete beginners seems a logical next step for them although like others have said; I'd prefer to see crowd funding used by creative types and start ups without the means to self fund. I was similarly annoyed with pebble for launching their last watch through kickstarter. In truth though; it's hard to really care isn't it? They're not really doing any harm to anyone; even if it is a little odd.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I agree with Paul. Kickstarter was intended to raise capital for those starting a venture. More and more, it is being used as a mass-marketing method. While not in the spirit of the original intent, it is an out of the box approach to reaching (new?) markets. In the end, E is a business and is looking to make a profit. This is probably a very effective method to do so. No one is done forced to contribute and ultimately the market will decide (with their wallets). It looks like they have. I got "into magic" by running into a magic shop in an Orlando shopping center nearly 25 years ago. While I bought a pre-packaged set with a video (it was VHS the ), I was grateful and had a blast entertaining friends, family and people in my dorm. It hooked me.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, Waters. wrote:
I agree with Paul. Kickstarter was intended to raise capital for those starting a venture. More and more, it is being used as a mass-marketing method. While not in the spirit of the original intent, it is an out of the box approach to reaching (new?) markets. In the end, E is a business and is looking to make a profit. This is probably a very effective method to do so. No one is done forced to contribute and ultimately the market will decide (with their wallets). It looks like they have. I got "into magic" by running into a magic shop in an Orlando shopping center nearly 25 years ago. While I bought a pre-packaged set with a video (it was VHS the ), I was grateful and had a blast entertaining friends, family and people in my dorm. It hooked me.

These two most recent posts are spot on. Ks was originally intended for projects to raise capital via crowdsourcing, but as it is also a business, they only get paid when a project is succesful. As such, in the past several years, companies have been using it as a pre-order platform. As these projects are more likely to succeed, it does make sense for them to try to attract projects from companies following this mold.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
At the end of the day it's free advertising outside of the usual magic audience.

Unless there is a Kickstarter registration fee?
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
430 Posts

Profile of ekins
EBay went through a similar transition. Originally it was the giant garage sale on the web. Individuals selling there stuff. Then it gradually turned into a large marketplace with many of the sellers using eBay as their only storefront. Things mature and change as people find different ways to use it and the owners find ways to expand their market.

-Brian
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1300 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
It seems to be a load of repackaged props and old magic tricks taught on a dvd. How do I buy Smile
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
I love how this turned into an Ellusionist roast. Seems the leather-jacketed PR gang doesn't know what to say!

But then again, Daniel Madison does not exist.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, ianchandler wrote:
I love how this turned into an Ellusionist roast. Seems the leather-jacketed PR gang doesn't know what to say!

We know what to say.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1350 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:

We know what to say.

Delayed April Fools?
Official Thread Killer
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
88 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
Even though it might not be for everybody I think it is not wrong.
Yes, I also think that Kickstarter should not be used that way and that they maybe could have just sold it on their website but it generates some publicity and that might be good.

From what is visible it might be an interesting compilation for a magic kit.
They have a thumbtip, some invisible threat, some sponge balls, a paddle, a (probably gimmicked) sharpie, a "bite" coin, and a reel.
That is a great number of useful items for beginning or intermediate magicians and I have never seen a comparable kit like that.

Even though Ellusionist is not the world best seller of magic products and their products always look better in the videos as they are and many people seem to dislike them, a lot of their products have a decent or good quality.
So maybe it is worth it's money.

And yes, I have backed it already because I like to collect magic kits and also always wanted some of these small black linking rings (which should be really good) and they had them as a really cheap add-on.
So I will try it and see if it might be nice.
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
I have mixed feelings about this... for magicians, this kit has nothing really to offer. For "informed beginners" (those who know about real magic shops, IBM, SAM, etc.), this kit is probably not something to pursue.

BUT...

As a product from a company who sells magic and wants to make money, its probably a pretty good idea. This just seems like another cheap magic kit that every "pitch magic shop" in Vegas (and other tourist locations) sells everyday. They are overpriced and generic, but, there is a market for that, for good or for bad. Souvenirs of all types are overpriced everywhere and magic is no exception.

Then of course, there are those people who don't really want to become a magician... they just want to learn a few cool tricks for their friends, etc. These people aren't interested in quality, etc., they just want the result of being able to do a few tricks when the situation presents itself. I've purchased more than a few overpriced "how to" courses in my life for a variety of things and mostly FELT like I got my money's worth because the knowledge was valuable to me.

They have already sold/raised over 80K for this... so, there is obviously a market for it.

Interesting debate...
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2016, TheRealMagicMike wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this... for magicians, this kit has nothing really to offer. For "informed beginners" (those who know about real magic shops, IBM, SAM, etc.), this kit is probably not something to pursue.

BUT...

As a product from a company who sells magic and wants to make money, its probably a pretty good idea. This just seems like another cheap magic kit that every "pitch magic shop" in Vegas (and other tourist locations) sells everyday. They are overpriced and generic, but, there is a market for that, for good or for bad. Souvenirs of all types are overpriced everywhere and magic is no exception.

Then of course, there are those people who don't really want to become a magician... they just want to learn a few cool tricks for their friends, etc. These people aren't interested in quality, etc., they just want the result of being able to do a few tricks when the situation presents itself. I've purchased more than a few overpriced "how to" courses in my life for a variety of things and mostly FELT like I got my money's worth because the knowledge was valuable to me.

They have already sold/raised over 80K for this... so, there is obviously a market for it.

Interesting debate...

I have seen stories about this on a few different non-magic sites like how they marketed Pyro. I have a feeling a ton of that 80k is from the die hard E fans who buys everything they put out.
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
155 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2016, Matthew Crabtree wrote:
I have seen stories about this on a few different non-magic sites like how they marketed Pyro. I have a feeling a ton of that 80k is from the die hard E fans who buys everything they put out.

I imagine you're right... without an extensive list, these kind of numbers would be very hard to pull off.
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:

We know what to say.

Which is?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » KICKSTARTER - HOW TO BE A MAGICIAN (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL