The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To mentor in LA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Hi:
My teenage son was accepted into the Hollywood Magic Castle Jr. program but dropped out when he felt unaccepted and alone. Now I have lots of stage magic in my garage, lots of props, music, books and ideas...all gathering dust. I'd like to help a dedicated young lady who wants to develop her dance/gymnastics abilities into a fabulous stage magician.
No Melinda wannabes, or cute girly assistant types. A new breed of female, ready to take her magic to another level - which would mean competing in some "male dominated" competitions later on. Remember "Galena" from TV's "World's Greatest Magicians II" and her unique approach to stage magic? How 'bout Cirque du Solei and their perspectives on entertainment? That's where I think young lady magicians should be headed. Is there a candidate out there in the LA area who'd like to stretch her talents and go for it?
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Call Jeff Thomas at Hollywood Magic.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I've always appreciated Jeff McBride's magic, but I have never met the man personally. I think he is the guy to talk to. Jeff is such an artist.

That's great of you to think of others, wkitwizard. You are a true wizard.

All the best!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Jeff McBride is a true artist. He asked my son to perfrom with him both at the Magical Empire and during the It's Magic show in Glendale. He also provided many opportunities to exchange ideas via letters and emails to my son.
A class by himself.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
I am a student of Jeff's, and he is one of my most respected mentors. I believe he can help you out greatly. Even Abbi, his wife, would be great help.

Tom
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Wow, a lady magician!

Have you heard of Lisa de la Vega? She's totally awesome! Check her out here

http://www.ellusionist.com/Them-Totally-......ians.htm

and here

http://www.magicxlive.com/

Jeff McBride is a person you should contact.
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
Dean dill would be the best,if he is available deandill.com his shop is in glendale. you can just call or drop by. he's closed on mondays
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
To all those who posted reply here, thankyou. I've been coached by Joanie Spina to contact college drama departments, as well as dance studios. I did both. I've contacted the website, women in magic, and heard back nothing. I've contacted Luna Shemada as well. Is there really so few lady magicians in the country? So many props, costumes, books, tapes, and even a fog machine, but no one to who can utilize my willingness to mentor them. Sad.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes there really are very few women in magic. Why does the student have to be a female? Why not lend your help to the first motivated,dedicated and eager student you can find, male or female? The gear belonged to your son, it's not as if the equipment was designed for a female magician. You've said;

"So many props, costumes, books, tapes, and even a fog machine, but no one to who can utilize my willingness to mentor them. Sad."

I'm sure there are folks out there that would relish the chance to have your help. If you insist that the student be a female you will likely have to wait a while.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
I appreciate your answer, but I believe young ladies deserve a chance in this male dominated field. Why not give assistance to the few who want to belong to the art?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
If that's your goal why not take on an African-American student? There are those that would say the art is severely lacking in magicians of color. Not that finding a student would be any easier but its a thought.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
LadyofLight
View Profile
New user
California
7 Posts

Profile of LadyofLight
Hello,

I am in shock at the response from this but so so so excited I discovered your topic!! I am a female! I don't' think that there are so few women, it's just sometimes seems to be a bit like a men's club. (try reading the topics from a female viewpoint, you'll see what I mean) Not that men are bad!! I'm just saying. Anywho - I am an aspiring magician and am trying to put something together. I am currently an associate member at the Magic Castle and have been learning from Stan Gerson, a dear friend of mine. I use to do children's parties but have really become greatly interested in stage magic as I am an actress by trade. I have a few neat things I picked up at Daytona Magic and have been trying to build an act and get a few things so I can test for my magician membership at the Castle.

Anyway, I sure am interested!!
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
I am very glad to see a female magician teke up my offer! Everyone has their own way to express their magic, I just want to help them get maximum impact when they do it.
Doing "tricks" is one thing, creating a meaningful experience for an audience is something totally different. Music, color, costume, theme all go together to create something an audience will gladly embrace.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Wkitwizard,

While I have no doubt your intentions are good and based on wanting to help I have a few thoughts.

After greeting aprox 5,000 newcomers to the Café in the last 2 years,(this doesn't show up on post count) you'd be suprised how many return back to magic after a hiatus. Some times, the hiatus is simply a matter or months other times it's after families are raised, school is finished..you get the idea.

I felt somewhat sad to hear about your son's experiences and questioned whether he gave up magic forever? Would there be the possibility that he may change his mind (although he may appear adament at this time) after a few years? How does he feel regarding your idea? Is he going to regret his items are not going to be available to him. Is he going to be a participant in your endenvor?

Apologies for being nosy and I don't want to appear to be the damper on your wonderful idea and cheers for LadyofLight to have found you. It does seem to be the perfect scenerio for you both considering you live in the same State.

I'm only writing this as, recently in Food for Thought and even in this forum, many magicians have purchased items and yet couldn't part with them. Something told them that they may once again rediscover magic. Finding effects that have been sitting on their dusty shelf somewhere in their house and feeling like a kid again at Christmas rediscovering the love of magic. Could that happen to your son?

I've often said this and it always suprises me when magicians on here claim there are few woman in magic. I've found that not to be the case. My own 120 member ring is run by a female magician and some members such as Juliana Chen and Keiko Muto have recieved worldwide or national recognition. There are even many female members at the Café, but chose to remain quiet about that fact. I'm sure most of you assume you're always speaking to another male if there is no avatar but that's not always the case. It's true the numbers don't reflect the same percentage as males joining rings but even 20 years ago there was a higher number of males in music groups than females. That's no longer the truth today as it's equal. I forsee the same thing in magic.

Again, I didn't write this post with any other intent than to wish you both good luck and possibly bring to light that while your son claims he might want nothing to do with magic, that may change.

Chrystal
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Thank you for your message. My son is going off to bootcamp in the US Navy in May. He's signed on for a five year hitch, plus three more years in the reserves. He walked away from magic without a backward glance. I've left magic before, but always came back with a more mature outlook and deeper sense of the way it could be performed. Thanks to Jeff McBride and his fellow artists who genuinely nuture the wonder that magic can bring into people's lives, I've found out where the art should be headed in the future. My garage full of stuff, and library of books and tapes will be available for sincere performers who want to take their act to a new level of audience impact. It will though, remain in my family, just in case a future star in waiting in the wings. I hope there are many interested individuals in the Los Angeles area who'd like to take advantage of my offer. I don't promise miracles, only honesty and a desire to see the art reach new levels of emotional connection to audiences. Not just another gaggle of tricks, paraded on a stage with boring monotony. I've seen my share of yawns and rolling eyeballs to last a lifetime.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Wkitwizard;

Thanks for the response. It does sound like you have the best intentions and the right motivations behind this kind gesture. I wish you and those involved the very best.:O)

Chrystal
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Thank your again! At one point in my life, years ago, I thought Doug Henning or David Copperfield would try a go at opening a few magic studios, where young or inexperienced magicians could learn the serious aspects of performance art. Unfortunatley that did not happen. What an opportunity! There could have been a whole generation of young magicians trained in the basics of theater, movement, and showmanship, along with the tricks. Jeff McBride has done his own unique thing with his Masterclasses, and I applaud him for it. It's too bad though, a promising magician in some little town in the outback, can't travel to a studio and learn how to grow in his craft. Books, tapes and laymen will never take the place of an environment where a person is free to grow at their own pace, and get immediate feedback from instructors who've seen the best. (sigh)
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Seasons come, and seasons go, while I've yet to find ANYONE who will take advantage of my offer. The above "ladyoflight" actually borrowed my equipment, music and act, but a few weeks later found out she was pregnant and everything fell through. A young teenage boy from the valley was interested, but his mom wanted him to perform her own vision of magic and he never followed up with the offer. I had a long conversation with Diana Zimmerman at the Castle about helping out the jr members who wanted to excell-and I had NO TAKERS! Unbelivable! Surely, there's someone who could benefit from my desire help?
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Still have over two hundred magic magazines, closeup, stage and parlor magic to give away. Yes, give away. Just need a good home for all of it.
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Please don't contact me just to fill up your display cases with more apparatus, books and DVDs. I want to see my magic go to a young person who truly wants to grow in stage magic and theatre.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To mentor in LA (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL