We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to switch show from 2-7 year olds to 9-14 year olds (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2016, A Show By Joe wrote:
Just by what you asking, I guess you can just come out and say something like "since all you guys are older, I am not going to treat you like kids. For example, in my kids shows I would pull coins from their ears, but not you guys. I am going to give coins back." You can then show three coins, or use a flipper w/ a shell and make them disappear one by one. This could be useful if there happens to be kids in the audience who had seen Misers dream before and equate it to a younger age show.

what does "give coins back" have to do with making 3 coins disappear one by one?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Ambitious Card" and Jay Leslie are both well qualified and successful magicians. They have written several excellent essays, above in this thread. I agree with everything that they have said.

I have 70 years experience performing for young folks from Kindergarten age thru Senior High School, and Colleges. I'm now retired.

From Kindergarten thru High School, my program ran 45 minutes. For colleges, it usually ran 90 minutes.

The props carried in a 13" x 20" x 8" case, which sat on a waiters tray stand. The program was set in 4 minutes, and packed in 2. For colleges, I added 45 minutes to the school show, with some mental material, and/or escapes. The escapes included cuffs and a strait jacket (carried in separate case). With few exceptions, the props and routines performed played to Kindergarten and High School students. The PRESENTATION was varied to suit the audience. I did not do any "kiddie" tricks. I did not encourage kids to scream. (School administrators wanted the students to learn how to be an audience.)

About 25% of the programs were in auditoriums (many with good lighting, and sound) The rest them were presented in gymnasiums, lunch rooms, school corridors (yes!) and, in California, outside on the playgrounds. (I could work almost anywhere.) Audiences varied in size from about 2,000 high school students, in metropolitan areas, to 7 primary school youngsters in rural Montana.

In the small towns and villages in the Western states like the Dakotas Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. I often had audiences with Kindergarten THROUGH Senior High School.

A tour was from September to Mid May, and averaged 400 to 450 programs.

As Ambitious has stated, it "aint" WHAT ya DO, it's HOW ya DO it! With one or two exceptions, I do the SAME TRICKS for Kindergarten thru High School. When I was booked in "alternative high schools", teenage reformatories, mental hospitals, physically or mentally handicapped schools, prisons, and, senior citizen nursing homes, I did the the same tricks. --The difference was PRESENTATION.

To put it simply, the magician, must UNDERSTAND the differences in age groups, and KNOW how to COMMUNICATE WITH WHATEVER GROUP IS "IN THE SEATS"!

Over the years, I had many encores, and standing ovations.

Considering your experience, I cannot think of any way in which I could be of help. IMO, you need to find a well qualified, successful performer to help you learn what is necessary. (A few funny memorized lines definitely won't solve your problems.)

In a thread below, in this same forum, you are asking for help for a show that you have booked this weekend! Why did you book a date like this, to perform for an age group from toddlers to adults, when you knew you were "not ready"?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
398 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I sorry. I do Miser's dream in my "kids" shows (hence making coins appear). I have a lot of repeat customers, so with older kids shows that have seen me do Miser's dream, I like to come out and ask if anyone has seen my show before. Then I will say that in my "younger" show, I make coins appear, but here with you older kids, I like to give them back, and make them disappear one by one by putting one in their ear, and one in their hand, and blowing the last one onto the crowd. I sometimes follow that up with HUEGO by Paul Richards referencing ( but not showing)The Coloring Book. I tell them that they are my first two magic wands that makes it work.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
159 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
You can't really switch a young kids show to an older kids show by changing the beginning. You need a new show.
Good material that is strong helps. However, the most important ingredient is you. Many performers specialize in young kids shows. If you are good at that, then develop your young kids show. If older kids are not your comfort level, forget about it. Do what you like and enjoy.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1941 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2021, vincentmusician wrote:
You can't really switch a young kids show to an older kids show by changing the beginning. You need a new show.
Good material that is strong helps. However, the most important ingredient is you. Many performers specialize in young kids shows. If you are good at that, then develop your young kids show. If older kids are not your comfort level, forget about it. Do what you like and enjoy.

True, better you than me.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to switch show from 2-7 year olds to 9-14 year olds (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL