The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Journey by Matthew Johnson (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Hi Martin

One deck on the table from the start.

MJ
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Thanks MJ, it's on my wish list.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Are there any face-up dealing procedures in the release?

Thanks in advance.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Hi Martin

No, there are no face up dealing procedures. You do have multiple versions so you can do it with a borrowed and shuffled deck or you can do it with a single deck on the table where the spectator deals. There is also a version with a gimmicked deck where the deck is on the table from the beginning and is never opened until the card and number are named. After the deal is mad3 to the correct number and card the deck could be examined.

I prefer the face down approach as to me it adds mystery to the effect and more emphasis on the important card.

In ACAAN plots something has to give to make the effect happen as far as the parameters of the effect go. I try and stay as true to the parameters of the effect while at the same time making it an actual version that you will use, ie workable in the world of performing, instantly resets and repeatable. I believe the versions on "The Journey" meet these parameters.

The gimmicks included can be added to any deck and as a bonus my original work that started this journey many years ago is included for completeness. The new versions however are a big step forward in both effect and creativity and I'm really proud of them.

Cheers

MJ
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks Matthew. Very much appreciated.
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I'm almost afraid to ask, but without the gimmick, how much sleight of hand is involved in this? It's shipping now so I'm hoping to see some in-depth reviews of this effect soon Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I received a pre-release copy of the DVD, and I will give a comprehensive review soon.

I am at work now, so no time to dive in.

More later.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
mickym
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of mickym
Will appreciate in-depth reviews, pros & cons. Thanks.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So being a lover of ACAAN's, I was lucky to be able to get a pre-release copy of this DVD.

The DVD if I remember correctly is about an hour and a half.

Matthew teaches you 5 different versions you can do, some with gimmicks, some without.

In 2 versions, the deck is not on the table from the start, why? Because for completeness, Matthew teaches his original effect he created a couple of years ago, in which they name a card and a number, and then you pull the deck out, and they themselves can deal. For those that have Matthews original version that he released a couple of years ago, you know what I am talking about. The alternate 2nd version is a streamlined version of the ACAAN that he released a couple of years ago, that is stripped down, and makes it a lot simpler and easier, methodwise.

There is also 2 gimmicked versions, in which the gimmicks can be added to a normal deck of playing cards. One gimmick version requires multiple gimmicks, while the other gimmicked version only a few. At initial viewing, since I don't use many gimmicks, I thought I would not like the concept of having gimmicks in your deck, but then again, look at Helder Guimaraes, for those that have studied his work, he doesn't care what is involved, as long as he achieves the desired effect. As Matt stated above, there are no face up dealing procedures, I believe the face down approach adds more suspense, tension, mystery, to the whole thing, but then again it also depends on how you structure and present this. I actually liked the 2nd gimmicked version, and think it is something most of you would want to check out. What Matt has done is added layers of deception within the ACAAN realm, as to apparently have someone name a card, and then a number, and then the card ends up at the chosen number. What I also liked about it, it that it lets you focus on your presentation.

Now bear in mind, there is something in 2 of these versions that you need to do, and you need to practice, but for card workers, it should not be a problem.

After viewing the DVD, I was already doing it, and I am a mentalist.

The final version that you saw in the trailer, uses a borrowed shuffled pack, and they name any card, and then any number, and the card is there. Holy grail?

not exactly, but what Matthew has added here which he should be proud is multiple versions of doing the ACAAN using no gimmicks, gimmicks, some gimmicks, and sleights, in which you as the magician, can look at the whole big picture, and then decide what avenue you wish to explore, that is the key thing here.

You can even think of more if you are creative, and combine 2 methods, to create YOUR ultimate ACAAN, that only you will do, and that you feel comfortable with.

Matthew explains every detail on this DVD, even in cases where it may seem that you will feel stuck, but there is always a way out.

For me this DVD gives you the information, knowledge, ideas, and tools for you to choose and pick from your style, and what you want to work on.

Plus, you get 5 different methods, for you to dive into and explore.

I got it since I am an avid collector of all things ACAAN, and plus, I am always open in learning a new technique, method, or whatnot when it comes to ACAAN.

Quality of the DVD is good, Matt I believe filmed this at Blackpool, and the performances were also great.

Matt has taken influences from different creators, and tied them into this final product.

Difficulty level: Depends.....if you are good with cards, and want to learn the advanced methods, then you shouldnt have a problem.
If you are not, and want to have another ACAAN to do with family, and friends, do the gimmicked version instead. Not hard to do.

Like everything in life, some people might buy this, and not like it, because of this or that, or because of the gimmicks, or because of the dealing.

Really, in all honesty, who cares, the effect is what matters, and how you structure it, present it, and carry it out. The rest is up to you.

All in all, this is a worthy investment, since Matthew teaches you not 1, but 5 different methods for ACAAN, including the one he released a few years ago.

If you watch this DVD, I am sure, even if after seeing the 5 methods, you will not perform one of them, that you will think of other ideas on how to do an ACAAN that fits right with you.

If you saw the demo, and werent satisfied, then don't purchase it, its that simple.

If you were intrigued, or want to learn more methods of the ACAAN, then this is def worth taking a look for the myriad of ideas that you get.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to write such an in depth and honest review.

MJ
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
"Like everything in life, some people might buy this, and not like it, because of this or that, or because of the gimmicks, or because of the dealing.

Really, in all honesty, who cares, the effect is what matters, and how you structure it, present it, and carry it out. The rest is up to you.

If you saw the demo, and werent satisfied, then don't purchase it, its that simple."

What is this weird approach that's been creeping into reviews?

If you like it -great. If other people don't like it- great. Don't try to pre-emptively dismiss their opinion by saying "who cares" and 'it's that simple".

Nothing is "that simple" and plenty of people "care" about the details.

Look forward to reading more reviews-including from purchasers. This review doesn't make it clear if the reviewer was given the effect for free.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Nobody was given a free copy as far as I know.

MJ
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
"So being a lover of ACAAN's, I was lucky to be able to get a pre-release copy of this DVD."

Not sure if that means for free or not
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2016, takeachance wrote:
"So being a lover of ACAAN's, I was lucky to be able to get a pre-release copy of this DVD."

Not sure if that means for free or not

I always think it's important to be upfront about these things. Alex may well have paid for his pre-release copy, but it would be nice if he could clarify.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
If someone writes good reviews of things they get, of course they will get free and pre-release to review. I always wait for the people that have to wait and buy the product for more realistic reviews. Same with the "big name" endorsements, not worth much.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
If someone writes good reviews of things they get, of course they will get free and pre-release to review. I always wait for the people that have to wait and buy the product for more realistic reviews. Same with the "big name" endorsements, not worth much. I do like the ACAAN plot, but there has to be give and take on every routine.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Just to clarify, I did not get this for free, I paid for it in full.

$39.95

Do I think it is worth it? Yes, there are a myriad of ideas presented here as I stated above that will get your mind spinning.

Whats nice is that there are 5 variations, so you can choose one that you like and run with it.

Ill be honest and state is the only ACAAN's I currently use at the present time are Asi Wind's and the one I created a few years back called XCAAN.

Last week and this week have been hectic since I have some visitor here from the USA for my work as a mechanical engineer, and I havent had the time to really practice, just saw the DVD, and thought I would give my initial thoughts.

Being an ACAAN collector, I have been collecting ACAAN methods from everyone and everything, including, Barrie Richardson, Matthew Johnson, Marc Paul, Peter Turner, Patrick Redford, Joe Barry, Asi Wind, just to name a few.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks for clarifying Alex. I have to be honest and say that the sheer amount of free stuff you seem to positively review has made me rather wary of your reviews. No offence intended. Just being honest.

But if you made top dollar for this and like it, that changes the equation.

Thanks for your detailed review.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Here are my thoughts....

Overall this is a great project on ACAAN. I too am a collector of all ACAAN methods as I'm kind of obsessed with the plot.

Matt teaches 5 versions: 2 require sleight of hand, 1 version is anytime/anywhere with a borrowed deck and the others involved gimmicked deck (multiple gimmicked versions taught with everything from 1 to multiple decks involved).

The sleight of hand versions will require what I consider to be an advanced move- I have pretty good card skills and that move isn't in my arsenal... not to say it cant be learned with practice, but just wanted to throw that out there.

The gimmicked versions are very clever, well thought out and combine multiple methods to achieve the result.

Is this the grail? No, but its still a very good ACAAN. One of the strengths of this approach is that it plays fairly direct- too many ACAANs get bogged down in procedure- this does have that in some versions to an extent, but it feels natural and adds to the presentation.

The production quality is great- the DVD is very well produced, as you would expect from the Murphy's team, and you get a live performance of each of the 5 versions, as well as detailed explanations.

I struggle a little bit with the value of the overall package. In the ad copy, it says "You will receive custom gimmicks to create your very own Journey deck"... well lets be real, these arent "gimmicks" and were not really necessary to include in the package, so I thought that was a bit misleading. There are some "gimmicks" involved, but you will need to make it up yourself (no arts and crafts projects here- this is easy to do). And depending on the version you want to do, you will need to have multiple decks on hand to create your deck- so there's an additional investment beyond the $39.95 price tag depending on the version you wish to do. With that said, I appreciate the fact that including all the cards required would bulk up the packaging, add to the price, and if that version isn't for you, then those materials/decks were not necessary. So I respect that decision, but I do think its worth clarifying so you now what you're getting into here.

All in all, this is a great project for anyone interested in ACAAN, so if you like the plot, you wont be disappointed in what Matt has to offer.

One last thing, if you are having trouble "removing the deck", you can make slits down each of the edges of the box, which give it some flexibility. Those that own this should hopefully know what I'm talking about as it makes something you need to do easier to accomplish.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

TuneHV

Thank you for the review and I am thrilled you enjoyed my work. As you mentioned "it plays very direct!". This is important to me and always has been through my years developing this. Obviously with the ACAAN plot something really does have to give but I wanted to try and be as true to the plot as possible.

While you say the gimmicks are NOT gimmicks I kind of disagree (although obviously I am a little bias). I consider anything foreign to a regular deck a gimmick and so when coming up with a description for the effect I felt that gimmicks was appropriate Smile

I love the idea with the slots down each edge of the box. While not necessary it would indeed help and is a great piece of insight. Thank you.

All the best.

MJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Journey by Matthew Johnson (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL