The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Magic Forum- Thoughts? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I've been a fan of stack exchange for a while now. I see they're considering making a magic forum http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposal......gaUYZJw2

Any thoughts?
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Why would you promote another forum on here? I don't get it.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
They give some examples of the type of questions that would get raised and unfortunately it feels more like a potential exposure forum than antything else.

Always the danger if not run by experienced magicians.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9986 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Seems like a kiddie pool
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I think I'll just stick with the Café it seems the coffee is better not to mention the company!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5081 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I agree with all four responses before mine and would add, There have been many "other forums" started since the Café' came into existence but most fail in comparison of numbers and "quality" members. Some are even pretty good, although small and seem to fade away over time. The Café' still continues to grow every day. I have been a member since early 2003 and have seen many "hills and valleys" but the "cream always rises to the top" of this virtual coffee cup.

Yes, others exist but I too will stick to the Café' as my go-to meeting place.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2016, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Why would you promote another forum on here? I don't get it.

To be fair, the premise of this forum is "magicians helping magicians". Discussing a new site or forum falls under that description imo. Given the size and prominence of the Café, one could argue that it has a dominant position (de facto monopoly) in the world of magic forums. Barring discussion of other forums or sites would constitue an anti-competitive practice that would not serve the interest of the users.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22561 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shikina, you asked and the members answered, I hope you were helped. Don't like the answers. Why start an argument? Is that your attitude toward people that disagree with you?

No one has bared anything,

It is true, that the ones I have looked into all closed down after a very short time, not being able to keep up with people not staying within the rules.

It is not helping magician to tell anyone how tricks are done. That is not help but exposure of closely guarded secrets, that they must pay for to find out.

Not a forum I would be interested in, always giving secrets out and get nothing in return for what I have acquired over 60 years in magic, I have paid my dues, they should also. Just because someone wants to know, does not mean they have the right to know.

Anyway, once they get their answer, they will be gone, and not return until they want another answer. A forum is a discussion group, not a tell all website. Questions asked and answered is not a discussion.

Why don't you go to a college and tell them you want to become an electrical engineer, and they should tell you everything for free.

If you decide to screen you members, and only let actual people interested and practicing magic, then maybe you might have a forum that will be worth something. As it is, it is just a "I want to know" exposure site.

Not very ethical!
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Bill, with all due respect: Shikina wasn't the original poster, so your attitude toward him is a tad uncalled for. Not to mention wrong, seeing as your talking to the wrong poster.

With regard to exposure mentioned by someone else...ha, well whilst not outright exposure, quite a few posts and discussions on here border on that term a hell of a lot.
The there's the whole 50 posts thing to gain access to forums that talk even more openly about effects and methods... but don't get me started.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington
219 Posts

Profile of Orlan
I love StackOverflow and StackExchange, been a user since the beta days- when Jeff Atwood was the main (only?) developer behind it and Joel Spolsky was complaining about Jeff's estimating methods and the fact that he didn't know C.

Having said that, I don't think a magic forum fits their mission statement of making information easily accessible to everyone.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Obviously this forum serves a completely different purpose than the magiccafe.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Bill Hegbli, you have no room to talk ethics Buddy, or manners. Shikina is an excellent member here.
James

Quote:
On Nov 8, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Shikina, you asked and the members answered, I hope you were helped. Don't like the answers. Why start an argument? Is that your attitude toward people that disagree with you?

No one has bared anything,

It is true, that the ones I have looked into all closed down after a very short time, not being able to keep up with people not staying within the rules.

It is not helping magician to tell anyone how tricks are done. That is not help but exposure of closely guarded secrets, that they must pay for to find out.

Not a forum I would be interested in, always giving secrets out and get nothing in return for what I have acquired over 60 years in magic, I have paid my dues, they should also. Just because someone wants to know, does not mean they have the right to know.

Anyway, once they get their answer, they will be gone, and not return until they want another answer. A forum is a discussion group, not a tell all website. Questions asked and answered is not a discussion.

Why don't you go to a college and tell them you want to become an electrical engineer, and they should tell you everything for free.

If you decide to screen you members, and only let actual people interested and practicing magic, then maybe you might have a forum that will be worth something. As it is, it is just a "I want to know" exposure site.

Not very ethical!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bingowashisname-o
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of bingowashisname-o
Quote:
Not very ethical!

Neither was it ethical when you pirated the flap card and refused to pay Hondo for his work.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Didn't Rob Bromley invent the modern flap card?
bingowashisname-o
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of bingowashisname-o
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2016, Yuan Moons wrote:
Didn't Rob Bromley invent the modern flap card?

Hondo recently put out his version, Bill bought a pirated copy and when he was told it was pirated, he refused to pay Hondo what he was due.

Ethics.

Sigh.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
545 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
Why start an argument? Is that your attitude toward people that disagree with you?

A fine example of hypocrisy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Magic Forum- Thoughts? (4 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL