We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins as Art (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I really love the art in coin making. Please share images of any coins you find beautiful/artistic. Hobo nickels are a very interesting facet here. Challenge coins and medallions, too. Please include them if you like. I'll find some images to post. I've recently been looking for a bear coin to add to a set I'm working on. Effects include: spellbound, and David Roth's "The Table" with Canadian nickels. If you know me, you know I love animals and nature, so maybe you can do the math on that. Or, just follow the link in my signature- it'll fill in some blanks for you. Here's the beautiful bear coin I found after a fair bit of searching:

Turkey 1 lira 2011 year of bear diameter: 26mm
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Instructions for adding images to a post can be found in the Café F.A.Q.s here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php#bbcode
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Do some mock coins I made in photoshop count?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2204 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I've always liked the Walking Liberty halves, especially the eagle on the back with its unfurled wings.....

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9129 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have always considered coins as art, also as treasure. Smile

*Oh, and a few nice "bear coins" for you Laurie. Smile

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+coi......_AUICSgC
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thank you for your posts! They sure do count, Matthew. Thank you for sharing. Interesting broadcast message sent out last night. Smile
Treasure, yes, Marion, indeed! Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've been looking, too, for a deer coin. Here's one I found that might work nicely with my larger moose medallion. Presention for Bertram's "Ten to One". Though the size change won't be as extreme, I think it will work well to tell a little bit about the deer family. If I can find a pretty one a little smaller, that'll be nice, but I think this will work, too, and might actually make for a more realistic presentation. Goal in working on this set is that effects can stand alone or be rotated in and out or combined to form a longer show. Here's the aforementioned coin:

Estonia 5 krooni 1993 brass 26mm. Roe deer.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Look what I found:

$50 Silver Coin Canada 2015 Beaver 34mm

I haven't really bought coins at this price, though I think some of my silver coins might be getting close to selling this high. At least this one's $50 for $50- I don't understand how they can be selling face value $20 or $50 coins for more than $100, but they seem to manage. This one would certainly fit my presentation, indeed. Wonder what else they've got ... Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

I haven't found a description to go along with this one yet. Bronze art medals. I've seen several nice ones with farm animals. Some of french origin. Some attributed to an E. Dropsy. Some antique- very nice. I'll keep looking for more of these. I like the bronze/antique bronze look very much. Have a mini cup in that finish. The beaver medallion I have from the Medallic Art Company/Northwest Territorial Mint is similar in tone. Leaning to copper tone, I guess. Some of the others I own are more of a brass tone. All are beauties, in my opinion. Smile

On with the search, now...
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Those in keeping with the above, are antique agriculture medals- real awards. I don't think I knew about them. Some real beauties. I may post a few more.

Here's a challenge/spinner I stumbled on. Very cool:

Token Medal Vintage Advertising GAINES DOG FOOD Spinner Pointer Whitehead & Hoag
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
Check out the girfter coins from murphys magic they are modeled after the hobo coins...they look even better after they have been softened.
NPortMagic
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I gave those a brief, perhaps vague, mention in the "broadcast message" reference above. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I really do like these agriculture medals alot. I know about prize ribbons at the fair, but I don't recall having heard much about these. I assume they were given in gold, silver, and bronze, but I haven't seen any gold ones yet. Smile Such beautiful work, and I'm really seeing a trend in the depiction of the "farmers", too. Interesting. Smile

Art Nouveau agriculture bovine species farmer, bronze medal Diameter 45 mm. Haven't found a date, but a lot of these are antique. Lovely.

This came out fairly large. For a smaller view, try this link. If you click "view image" from there, it will take you to a pic you can magnify larger than the one I posted. Options... Smile

More about these here: https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/publ......1-e.html I wonder if the library would consider ammending the title to read "Hayday"... Smile Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2016, magicalaurie wrote:

I haven't found a description to go along with this one yet.

I found another of these, dated 1899, 41mm.

Here's another pretty medal from 1917 Argentina:

Competition and exhibition of cheese. This is a large one at 50.5mm
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's a fun one:

Societe d'aviculture de l'Yonne by Charles. bronze. Another large one at 54mm.
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
Wow, these look tremendous. I'm switching from card collecting to collecting this.
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit

Interesting story on these coins which dovetails nicely with some of my other lifelong interests (no, not the occult).. fringe subcultures, social pranks/commentary, and "mass hysteria."

10 yrs before Satanic Panic overtook the US in the 80s, on a Danish Island a quiet clerk named Knud Langkow began one of the most interesting but little known long running hoaxes of all time. He decided to convince everyone that a Satanic cult was running amok in Denmark by staging fake sacrificial sites and planting coins such as these all over the place- especially churches. He was basically a troll and these were his calling cards er coins..Shortly after his suicide on NEW YEARS EVE 2004 the prank was revealed by Danish magazine Politiken.
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
A "Hobo" coin hand-carved by my friend Valerie Vaughn who runs Goonie's Hobos. She's incredibly talented and a real first-rate cutie of a hobo. http://www.goonieshobos.com/bio.php

I did see those Grifters coins. They're neat lookin.
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
This is a cool thread BTW. Keep it going guys!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins as Art (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL