The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Hire Rush representing me? I never heard of them. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I just Googled Magical Mary and see an ad for me in nearby Stockton.

I don't know these people at all. The ad looks like it represents me and there are photos of me one might have found online but the phone # is not mine.

I did not follow up yet.

I'm wondering if any of you have found this popping up lately.

Any insights you could share?

-Mary Mowder
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Sounds like a scam to me. Using your good reputation as a performer to get quick cash at the last minute, and then never show up. :/ I'd report 'em.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
To whom?

Would you contact them and ask who they are or ...?

-Mary Mowder
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Hmm, local authorities, I'd think... I'm not a fan of giving the offender the heads up. What is the website?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hirerush.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7391 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I would contact HireRush and ask them to remove the listing. If your website has a copyright notice, you can point out that they are using your photos and information without your permission.

Also, you could put a notice on your website saying you're not represented by outside agencies. Or say something along the lines of contacting you directly at only the phone numbers on your website (not other websites) for bookings.

- Donald

P.S. It would seem the number on their website for your listing is the same area code as HireRush. Looks like somewhere in the Las Vegas, NV area. So, because you are based in California, it would lead one to think they put up the listing themselves.

Also, if you google the phone number that they list in your listing, it shows odd results (try it).

If you don't get anywhere with them directly, you might try their registrar or website host. That info is available via a whois lookup.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9757 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I looked at this and have a different perspective than Mary. I don't at all think it looks anything like an agency or agency representation. If anything it seems like more of an Angie's list or services listing site. My guess is they are doing this to try to hope those they've included for free initially, will generate some business and then later they will likely add a fee for listings and hope that you will be a paid advertiser.

Like Donald said, if you do not want to be affiliated with them, contact them and ask to be removed. Or contact them and ask how it works. What happens after an interested customer contacts their number. Do they contact you and want to charge you for the lead? Is it free (for an initial period)or are they seeking memberships?

This service directory approach is nothing new and performers typically do not do much from them, but who knows? They of course will generate quite a many links that will help them in online searches and positioning.

They'll likely offer you the "it's free advertising" angle which you'll have to decide it its of interest to you. However, I saw nothing claiming to be representing you as with an agency, granted I just glanced at their site without going too deep.

Let us know what you decide, what you find out and how it turns out.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7391 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Further expanding on Mindpro's thoughts, it's entirely possible that they created the listing based on your listing elsewhere. For example, if you're also listed on Yelp with photos and a business profile, maybe they grabbed the content from there. Or Gigsalad, Gigmasters, PartyPop, etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9757 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. In the beginning they probably feel that is the only way to compete and establish themselves. Mary, were you the only one from your area or do you recognize others as well? Can you tell from their text where their content came from?
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
A closer look at the contact info indicates it's a Ukraine-based company. I track the number of hacking attempts on my website, and Ukraine/Russia remains at the top of the monthly list of attempts, followed by China.
In addition to that, the address is appears to be a UPS store box in Las Vegas, which is another red flag.
A search in the internet Wayback machine shows their site was first published in 6-2015. A click on the first entry of that page will show you the many, many categories of businesses they are targeting.
A look at their who-is listing will not give much info because of their privacy listing, but it does show their domain registration of 5-2015.

Be careful about advice you receive from anonymous sources.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
They did get the photos and write ups from things I put online.

The other listings are mostly companies I don't know but I do see at least one I recognize.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

-Mary Mowder
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I'm not sure if it was a call from this organization, but I got a call yesterday from an obvious overseas company wanting to book show in Denver for a client. The caller told me that the client pays the service, and I get paid from their headquarters in Las Vegas on the following Friday after my show. I was specifically told not to discuss my fees with their client. The caller hung up on me when I suggested that the client pay me, and I would send them a commission payment after the show.

The show was a Christmas party at a well-known Denver event center. I know the people who plan events there and it will be easy to figure out who the client is by the booking date. I'll try and follow up and post more information here.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
HireRush
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of HireRush
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
I just Googled Magical Mary and see an ad for me in nearby Stockton.

I don't know these people at all. The ad looks like it represents me and there are photos of me one might have found online but the phone # is not mine.

I did not follow up yet.

I'm wondering if any of you have found this popping up lately.

Any insights you could share?

-Mary Mowder

Hi, Mary!

I'm Antony.

I represent HireRush. I'd like to reassure you and say that we don't want to steal your clients or clients of any other providers. Our goal is to make a convenient service that would help clients to find suitable providers for their needs.

I'll try to answer your questions:

- We direct to you all the calls from your ad. This is done to protect you against spam and advertising calls. All clients who are interested in your services will still be able to reach you. We also offer a very useful function - call from the browser. It allows customers to call you directly from the browser for free. You can try it yourself and verify that you will receive a call to your phone number.

- Publishing on our site is absolutely free. You can ask how we make money. Answer is that we get the money from advertising and we have paid features that give providers a lot of benefits. You can find paid account features at the link below https://www.hirerush.com/profiles-plans

- Our company is located in 2 countries, the US and Ukraine. So do not be surprised by that, it is a normal practice in the world Smile

If you have any questions, you can call us +1 (646) 781-8765 or write us an email hirerush@hirerush.com.

All best, Antony
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9757 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So how did Mary's listing/info get on your site in the first place? Without her knowledge or consent? How long will it remain there?
HireRush
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of HireRush
We have found the information about Mary service in the internet open resource which doesn't object taking info.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20017 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certainly since she has objected it will be taken down, correct?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9757 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
"in the internet open resource," What the he** does that mean?
HireRush
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of HireRush
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Certainly since she has objected it will be taken down, correct?

If she objects we will delete her services.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20017 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn't this thread itself an objection?

Why should she be required to do anything? Shouldn't you have asked her first? I am confused.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Hire Rush representing me? I never heard of them. (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL