The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » String penetration through thumb (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Hello I am looking for an effect where you have a loop of string. put it around a spectators thumb and when it is pulled it penetrates the thumb. connot find an explanation somewhere. who knows this effect?
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Jeff McBride has an effect called Ritual of Liberation, but there is also another effect that I think it is called "Fingerleder" in German. I think they rely on different methods. Do a search or come back to me.
"There is no reality, only perception."
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thanks I will have a look.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Would this be the effect your looking for at roughly 1.10 in on the video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Jr7bbKmEY
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
WARREN that is what I was looking for, thanks
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Blake I searched everywhere for this effect and couldn't find it, I even asked some quite knowledgeable magicians and no one had the answer however if you study the video you can actually work it out.

I placed a loop of cord around the gear lever in my van and messed about with it for a few days and eventually figured it out it but like yourself I would love to find out the actual origins of the effect.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A source was given for this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=625383

Its Called Thumb Amputation, and the method is in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (not the Dover editions), p 323

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
When I looked I couldn't find it but thanks for the heads up John much appreciated Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Warren: I think you were looking in the wrong book. This book is essentially a compilation/reprint of the 3 volume series of books put out by Abbotts. The book I named is published by Squash Publishing in 2005 (not Abbott, not Dover).

Yet it is probably in one of the Abbott's books, but NOT the first volume (nor the Dover reprint).

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Hi John, Yes that was indeed the case I can remember us chatting before about it when I was trying to figure out the mechanics of the effect....whilst I never did find the publication I did eventually manage to figure out the effect which I was pleased about as at the time it was driving me crazy Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » String penetration through thumb (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL