The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing Outside in Winter (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
So I have a gig, performing outside, downtown, before Christmas. 3 hours at a time for a few days as part of the Christmas activities

Temperature around here often drops below freezing.

My questions: Have any of you guys performed magic outside in below freezing weather.
I'm thinking I may have to wear gloves, which will eliminate a lot of sleight of hand tricks with cards and coins.
Any thoughts on tricks that might work on 20 to 30 degree weather?????????
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Better start building your cold tolerance now. Prof nightmare shouldn't be to hard with gloves. Is this for families I'm guessing
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Your first trick will be getting anyone to stop and watch in that weather.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

That's very I love magic but wouldn't stand for 15 minutes outside to watch a show. What is the background for the event
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

In that weather that is
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
There will be tons of people as downtown is decorated with lots going on.
So there's no question of getting a crowd. It's more of getting ideas that would work for a 15 min or so magic show.
Ropes are a good possibility, I think. Perhaps linking rings.
It's an area that I've never seen discussed - probably because most people are sensible enough to not try to pull this off LOL
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I do the x-mas markets in Germany in December. so long shows is not good. and if you do sleight of hand that would be a problem too. best thing to do keep it short and visible. good rope routine, linking rings (they can be cold on the hands), monkey bar etc.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Here is my question...Are you on a stage or are you in a situation where you have to pull a crowd like a busker?

If you have a stage, it'll be easier to get people to come over for your show.

If you're in a situation where you have to pull a crowd, then my question to you is you're $cr3wed.

As a busker, I know to head to where it's warm because no one is gonna watch a show in the cold...anything below 50 degrees, you can forget about it. Anything between 50 - 59 degrees, you may get a few to stop, but your hats are gonna suffer.

...and, if you are not a busker and have no experience how to work the street, it'll be the most depressing outcome you could have expected.

My suggestion would be to dress in a santa suit have a change bag and produce candy canes from it, for the kids. You'll be a hit, but you won't be doing much of a show...tell a few Christmas jokes.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Nice santa trick
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I am comfortable busking in temperatures down to freezing assuming that there little or no wind for about an hour to an hour and a half. I find that when I finally get cold, it seems to happen quickly and it helps to eat something that digests quickly in order to recover. I disagree with cbguy on whether people will stop -they will, but it depends on how they are dressed and how windy it is. If it is 30 degrees Fahrenheit and Christmas time, people in my town come dressed to be outside for the festivities for a couple of hours.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Herr Zauberman!

You have not answered cbguy's question!!!!!!!!

Friend Yoder's point, that people in his area will be dressed for winter weather (temperature, NOT A BLIZZARD!) is a critical factor.

cbguy ia a busker, and his point is also important to heed--especially the financial one!

In the early '50s, I worked with a juggler, outdoors in Norfolk, VA, for a Christmas promotion in the parking lot of a big store (K Mart or Walmart size). It was COLD, by Norfolk standards, but not windy. and, not quite freezing, but, almost! It was sunny. The program was well promoted.

We were on a platform. The "stage" floor was 4 feet above the ground, so a standing audience, could see us. The store provided a good sound system, with a stand mike.

We each did 10 minutes, and, it worked. For each show, we drew about 150 people, They stayed for the 20 minutes. The agent who booked the gig, AND, the client were both happy.

I seriously doubt that we could have gathered that big a tip--and, got a good hat, if we were busking. (The weather, the platform, and the sound system certainly helped.

Both Charlie Byrd, and I were experienced performers. (He was an old timer, and, I had broken into the business about 5 years before, in a carnie side show tent.

We did highly visual & funny material, Charlie was a sight act, and I used a couple kids from the tip. I did a C&R rope with a gentle sucker bit, the Misers Dream, and Disecto (arm chopper). My Misers Dream routine, which I wrote up in my book, used no fancy sleights!

It was like doing a "free act" in a fair grounds. IIRC, we did a ten minute show every half hour. We were there about 90 minutes, total.

We both dressed warm, and, only took off our winter overcoats when we were performing. We had a thermos of hot coffee, and, simple snacks. (In cold weather, one maintains body heat by dressing appropriately, and eating!)

KIS-MIF!--Keep It Simple & Make It Fun! The show must MOVE! I would do three tricks. Opener, middle, and closer.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Thanks for all the great advice.

I won't be on stage but rather on ground level. The event has run downtown before and there are tons of people.

Fortunately I being paid a set fee and won't be passing the hat but doing a "busker Style performances".

If the weather stays at freezing, I'm not to worried....I'll just have my hands a lot in the pockets. If it drops below freezing, I'll probably need gloves which changes things immensely.

Hopefully global warming will be a factor during these days Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
The first tricks that comes to my mind are the egg bag, do as I do torn & restored napkin, prof nightmare, thumb tie, bill switch, mouth coil routine. None require finger flinging.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The OLD Lyle torn tissues to paper hat, using red and green tissues would be easy and it would fit into the Holiday theme.

The ancient Cords of Fantasia with red OR green ropes (NOT "AND"!!!) AND red and green silks, would be easy (cold hands)also, and it would involve a couple of kids. Angle proof. no set up, too.

As long as you don't need to hat them, you should do OK.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The OLD Lyle torn tissues to paper hat, using red and green tissues would be easy and it would fit into the Holiday theme.

The ancient Cords of Fantasia with red OR green ropes (NOT "AND"!!!) AND red and green silks, would be easy (cold hands)also, and it would involve a couple of kids. Angle proof. no set up, too.

As long as you don't need to hat them, you should do OK.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I once gambled on an outdoor gig involving two hours of strolling/close-up magic in a "Town Center", i.e., outdoor mall. I booked the performance the week before betting that the temperature would be mild--it was for mid-November. Instead, the temperature was in the low 40's, and windy, so the wind chill factor made it feel like the 30's. Although I wore 2 pairs of long underwear, multiple long-sleeve undershirts and other layers of clothing, I was really cold and could barely manipulate my props because my hands were so cold. I wore gloves up to the point when it was time to perform, then removed the gloves for the performance, then put the gloves back on until I began again. This helped a little bit, but not enough. My hands were still cold, and I had trouble even doing sponge balls! Now I never perform below 60 degrees. Good luck--I wouldn't be able to stand around outside for long periods of time and perform in freezing weather.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I've been trying to see what tricks I could do with gloves on.....boy does that change things.

Anyways, I'll dress warm & let y'all know how it goes.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2016, Zauberman wrote:
I've been trying to see what tricks I could do with gloves on.....boy does that change things.

Anyways, I'll dress warm & let y'all know how it goes.

Box tricks
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Just buy one of these to keep you warm. It even has secret pockets

https://moresca-clothing-costume.myshopi......37941379
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I used to be a "Mailman Magician"...performed outside regardless of temperature, rain, snow, etc..

I admire any performer who stands outdoors in sub-freezing, or sizzling hot conditions and still have the energy and enthusiasm to perform magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing Outside in Winter (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL