The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound editing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Hmm...in the Sony (nee Sonic Foundry) line, I'd for for Sound Forge. 7.0 will pretty easily do what you need, not to mention that, IIRC, it comes with a "light" version of Vegas, which will make things even easier (it's simpler to overlap the VO and music when they're on separate tracks, although with the new editing style in SF7.0, it's much simpler to tweak than it was in older versions.

Cool Edit and Sonar will also do what you need, since they pretty much combine SF and Vegas type interfaces into a single program.

Unless much has changed, I'd pass on Goldwave, since last I saw it uses the more "traditional" two-track interface, where it's a one-shot deal to mix the two sounds together, and if you want to move the VO around in relation to the music/change the levels, you have to keep making use of the undo function.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
I use Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge myslef. It has a great interface the visual interpretation of the sound makes editing a breeze. It is great for beginners, but is also used professionally.
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
You all sound like you are getting way more sophisticated than anything I do. I've done all my music on Goldwave and made professional CD's for my hypnosis titles just laying the voice on one track and the music on the second. It sounds like your moving the two pieces in relation to each other after laying them down. Glad I'm just doing easy stuff. Saves on the thinning of the pocket book. Sonic Foundry and Acid are pretty pricey as I recall, but my pricing is from the late 90's so a lot may have changed.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
I have to agree with Cool Edit. I also use it to edit all sorts of sound effects for a Horror LARP that I work with, and it's never failed me yet.

ACID is also good, although if you are creating a long loop, you need to make sure that you don't do anything else on the computer that will make noise. I once did a sound effect drumming loop and about a minute in, I got some Windows noises in there. I ended up jumping to the begining of the track just to make sure the Windows ding didn't reoccur.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Audacity:
As a Professional Voice Actor and doing Commercials, Sound Tracks, Music On Hold CDs etc. for my living, I swear by Audacity. I've had expensive software that supposedly does it all and Audacity knocks 'em for a loop(no pun) as to ease of use. The others have too much stuff you'll never use and cost way too much. As to the above post about Spy Ware...I didn't download any of that garbage and believe me I check.
Audacity is Free and is continually updated so get the latest release. Just go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Killer stuff!

Doug
http://LionPoint.com

By the way...regarding Spy Ware...this junk can be picked up from the download site you get the actual software from. Choose wisely where you get a file...direct from the developer site should be no problem in the case of Audacity.

Thanks
Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Also on a Mac, I use Sound Studio. it is a free download and very basic. But it works enough for me at this point. I think it was originally on some Mac Addict Disks. It runs in Classic mode.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Magicgraham,

For creating music, I would suggest "MTV MUSIC GENERATOR" and for editing I would suggest "Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer"

Hope this helps.

Sal Amangka
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Just wondering since you all use these programs. Where do the midi files or wav files come from? Straight from the dealer? Or do you have to pay for extra FX?

Kevin Vu
Renton,Wa
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I use a shareware program on my Mac called "Jasmine." It's reasonably featured and has the effects I need. The selsct, point and click editing makes cutting and pasting a breeze. Do a short search on Google for Jasmine and Mac and sound and you should have no problem finding it. Low cost, about $15 and I have used it for stereo editing, offsetting and even backmasking ( for a really eerie effect, backmask someone reading the telephone book, overdub it with the same voice, pitched higher and then echo both)..

As a hypnotist and a bizarrist (not to mention a really fun closeup and parlour kinda guy!), this works well for me. Burns to CD audio, AIFF, MP-3 and several other codecs that I never heard of.

Just a thought,

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Although I'm reasonably well-versed in the use of some of the REALLY big software/hardware packages for editing (many thousands of dollars), I recently needed something compact & easy-to-use. I tried Audacity by Soundforge, and I though it was quite good, and easy-to-use. It's FREE from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ , and is available for OSX, Windows, and Unix/Linux. It will even allow you to blend sound effects in with your music.

Good luck, and cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Note that Audacity is NOT in any way related to Sound Forge. It's HOSTED on Sourceforge, a site that hosts tons of open-source projects.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
I'm a serious MacHead from way back.

That being said, I use Sound Studio and Amadeus for recording the source sound through a Sony condensor mike and pre-amp.

If I need to compose with loops I use GarageBand. (which also has a very nice MIDI interface for non-loop composition)

I also have a dynamic action MIDI keyboard hooked up to my iMac.

I produce all the sound for my shows and Phobia House with this equipment.

I'm sure you can do the same with a similar set-up on a Windows based platform.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I just did a few extremely complex commercials for haunted attractions to be used on Clear Channel stations in various parts of the US.
One contained 8 separate mucic sources..13 sound fx tracks and 9 different voice elements with various enhancement FX...Audacity handled it like a dream.
I can't say enough about this great FREE project...it's ease of use beats the pants off the software I paid hundreds for.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound editing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL