The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Journey by Matt Johnson (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I just want to put in a good word for this new release, available for purchase in most of the usual places (Penguin, Murphy's, your local magic shop via Murphy's, etc.)

Matt provides FIVE solutions to the venerable ACAAN plot, and there is something here to please anyone who digs this trick. There is a FASDIU impromptu version that implements an admittedly knacky move yet is quite the fooler if mastered. Three of the five versions allow the spectator to deal down the cards. All versions except the impromptu involve extensively gaffed decks that cannot be examined face up (though the spectator can quite readily handle and deal them face down without suspicion). There is no memorization required (unless you want to), and the mental arithmetic required is minimal. The handling required to achieve the card-number coincidence is easily mastered with a little practice, with the set-up and gaffing of the decks facilitating this. Matt includes some "proving" subtleties that remedy somewhat the fact that the spectators mustn't see the faces of the cards. The biggest bonus for me from the video is Matt's implementation of Josh Jay and Dan Harlan ideas to an equivoque so subtle that it will even sail past magicians (at least the first time).

For anyone who is obsessed with ACAAN like me, Matt's thinking has much to offer and may provide ideas for enhancement of versions one already knows. I do concede that for those of us who've memorized a stack, ungaffed deck approaches such as Asi Wind's AACAAN allow for a much freer handling as the deck is fully examinable and immediately usable for subsequent tricks. However, for someone who has no plan to memorize a stack, or who just wishes to do an ACAAN that satisfies most of the classic criteria without having to know a stack, The Journey is a great acquisition. There is a lot of ingenious thinking on this DVD that make it well worth a look for anyone who loves card magic.

Please be sure to do a Café Quicksearch on "matt johnson journey," as there is at least one other extensive review in another forum that I believe most would find especially helpful.

Les
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Thanks so much Les and so glad you are enjoying The Journey
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Fero
Got this one and I ve to say that it is one of the best tricks I purchased this year.
I went throu 3 or 4 techniques but I ve to say the impromptu one is probably the easiest to perform if you can master the move. Matthew goes quite deep in the explanation and the overall quality of the product is more then just ok.
Well done Matthew...
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Thanks so much Fero. So glad you are enjoying your Journey.

MJ
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
This really is an outstanding DVD. The methodology is excellent, the presentation is crystal clear and the picture and sound quality are very good. There really is some great stuff here.
Brian
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Thank you Brian for the kind words. I am so glad you are enjoying your Journey. Mine started 6 years ago. It took me 6 years to bring it to all of you so I am thrilled and honoured that people are loving it.

Cheers,

MJ
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I agree with a lot of what's been said. It's a nice well produced DVD. It's also a very appropriate name. This is Mr. Johnson's journey towards finding his holy grail of ACAAN. Assuming the effect interests you, you may align with his journey or you may not. For me, the only version I'd consider is the impromptu or 'sleight of hand' version. I've seen approaches like this in the past and know, for me anyway, this is a very tricky sleight to perform naturally and confidently. But in he right hands it looks great. So I am fascinated in the challenge. For me personally, I think the A in ACAAN is highly overrated. So my journey has taken me to a variation on Mike Rose's Grail that uses an ungimmicked/borrowed deck and also does away with the gimmicked prediction card. But just maybe this DVD will keep me searching.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Thank you for chiming in Platt and for the kind words. I am happy that my work is helping you on your journey. It's always great to hear from people enjoying my work and to know it's enlightening to others.

MJ
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
My personal ACAAN journey has taken a giant leap forward thanks to MJs thinking. He has opened up a few new avenues for me to explore. While I don't know where my final destination might be I sure am enjoying the passage. This is a great project that is a worthy investment for all those on the quest to find their own ACAAN holy grail.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Thank you Colin.

Enjoy your Journey as I have mine. I am happy to have inspired your work and look forward to where your Journey will take you.

All the best

MJ
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
The impromptu version is defo my fave on the disc.
Trying to get the move as smooth as Matthew but I'm also using The Grail and Asi Wind's version.
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
The impromptu version is my favorite.

The gimmicked versions are good, I just always perfer a nongimmicked deck that I can use for other effects.

-Alex
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

I love the impromptu version too and have been performing it for some time now. The gimmicked version however with 1 deck on the table from the start where the spectator deals is still my favourite. It utilises many great methods that I think come together perfectly here. I am so very proud of this version. I had to wait quite a few years for it to come to fruition but finally it did.

Just on a side note. I don't want to give away method here but for those that own The Journey try gimmicking every 3rd card instead of every second. Something I came to recently but I find it a little easier to handle. For those in the know you should know what I'm talking about Smile

Happy New Year everyone and enjoy your Journey.

MJ
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Is his one on the penguin lecture the same as this is does any one know?
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Hi Karl,

Sorry, not been on the Café for a while and just noticed your post now.

I touched on this in my Penguin Lecture but only one of the versions. There have also been many more updates including the gimmicks you receive with the DVD which make a couple of the versions on The Journey DVD much much easier.

Hope that helps.

MJ
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Thanks mate I have bought it any way since I posted about it and I like it a lot
dr_catman
View Profile
New user
Singapore
74 Posts

Profile of dr_catman
Been looking for a CAAN routine which allows a random number to arrive at a predicted card that's dealt face up by the spectator. Will any of these do that?
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, dr_catman wrote:
Been looking for a CAAN routine which allows a random number to arrive at a predicted card that's dealt face up by the spectator. Will any of these do that?

Yes. He shows several handlings.
dr_catman
View Profile
New user
Singapore
74 Posts

Profile of dr_catman
Awesome. Reserved a copy at a local magic shop. Getting it tomorrow! Can't wait
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Dr_catman,

I hope you enjoy The Journey. Thanks so much for supporting my work and if you ever have questions I am only a message away.

MJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Journey by Matt Johnson (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL