The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Closeup Mat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheBaaron
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TheBaaron
I have been doing magic for about 3 months now, and I would like to invest in a real close up mat. I have looked around, and was wondering if there are any mats similar to the rogue's arena [http://www.scamstuff.com/products/rogues-arena] but without the astronomical price. This would not be a mat that I take places, but rather a stationary mat to do videos and such on. Thank you!
Russo
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of Russo
Many people use -rug sample(there borderd) -from rug store- if it would help any.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! Russo, ya stole my line! (hee hee)

I seldom have used a close up mat, 'cuz I was, ordinarily, a stand-up act, but, the few times that I needed one, I would visit a rug/carpet store, and purchase a rug sample. They 'come' in all sorts of colors. They don't fold up particularly well but, they ARE cheap, and, work just fine.

When you get to the point where you are table hopping, etc. you'll learn that there is seldom room at the diner's table to place a mat, plus, you'll usually work standing up. Aisles are spaces for wait staff to use in delivering food!

If you MUST spend that money, buy a good book. I would recommend any of Harry Lorayne's books.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
502 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Hello! Office supply (Office Depot etc..) they have oversized mouse pads in black or other colors. They range from $4 to $13 and various sizes.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/14......use-Pad/
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/89......85-Blue/
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/83......Pad-133/

Blessings,
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
I went to http://www.pattricksmagic.com and really wasn't disapointed. Amazing quality, but Pattrick is the main reason. He sent me not only the mat, but samples of other materials, and as he miscalculated the shipping fee (in Europe, by 2$) he sent me another size mat to make up for it. So I wasn't sure of material, he sent me samplers, I wasn't sure about size, he sent me both. Yup, this is a shameful disclaimer for him, but it is 26 times better than the chinese made one I bought on eBay, and he just deserves it.
Winston Newman
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
25 Posts

Profile of Winston Newman
I second the oversize mouse pad idea, they make a great surface for practice and are cheap as chips. I also have to suggest the DIY option, I am planning on making one soon, I have looked into it and there really isn't that much too them, just a solid board, some rubber backing and a quality velvet sandwiched with some spray adhesive, maybe some rubber feet of some description. Of course if you can work with wood it wouldn't really take much extra effort to make something great.

Cheers, Winston.
dangrey
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of dangrey
That's a great idea to use a mouse pad.
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
I also use a big mouse pad for practicing. For performance I cannot use it, because of the logo on it. And I did not find one without yet.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
Mousepad is great idea to start, but if you're sticking with magic longer, I highly recommend Patrick's mats.
Small Hands
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Small Hands
While I am obviously very new here I would like to offer another option to the above suggestions as to what I did for a practice mat. I simply went to dollar store and purchased a dining place mat for a $1, at hardware store I purchased spray adhesive for $10, and yard of felt material from a fabric store for $8. This is probably enough material to make 6 or 8 mats if I buy additional place mats. I find it works well for a practice surface and is cheap enough to replace if I lose or damage it.

As I progress I will certainly consider buying something better but in the mean time this works well for me.
robbieh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of robbieh
I went to a board game store and purchased a plain colored game mat and a plastic tube to store it in. This helped me to always have a clean level surface that cards can really glide over - but I think the best part of a card mat is that your finger tips can 'sink in' a bit, allowing for an easier time picking up cards - game mats don't give that.

Game mats are used to play collectible card games, so they're rather big - I'd say a foot and a half by 3/4 of a foot? It's the same material as a mousepad, but thinner so it rolls up really well. Ask if they have a plastic tube you can buy, they'll usually have a selection. (Interestingly - when I went to purchase mine, some of the patrons had a mini argument over which color plastic tube was the most 'lucky', really made me nostalgic for the times I used to frequent these shops and have pointless arguments myself!)

Often game mats will have lots of different designs based on the fantasy art in these games, but you can also find plenty of solid color ones, you might have to check one or two stores for plain colors you like, though. I got mine for... less than 10 dollars, for sure. Pretty sure I couldn't find a closeup mat for that much!
Small Hands
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Small Hands
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2017, robbieh wrote:
...I think the best part of a card mat is that your finger tips can 'sink in' a bit, allowing for an easier time picking up cards - game mats don't give that.

I agree, the next mat I do I am going to add a thin layer of foam or batting just to get a bit more of that "sink in action".
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5264 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If you can find one of Dean Dill's mats somewhere, they are really wonderful. This one by Arlen Studio is beautiful too, but hard to find: http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/tab......ttyPhoto
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22403 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I like the Gibson Close up mats at Tricksupply.com , they come in large sizes.

The late deceased Dean Dill was the only magician I know that put his mats on a board. They are not available any longer.
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of medievalmagician
Much like a previous post in this thread, I have purchased from http://www.pattricksmagic.com The mat I received is excellent quality. Previous to that I had used a mouse pad for years for a practice mat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Closeup Mat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL