The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WikiTest - The Wikipedia Book Test (172 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20..24..28..32..34~35~36 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
And never mention David Blaine when you perform if FFS.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
The action Dave used in his performance was no way near justified. People who do nirvana own this like myself will think this must be the motivation for having to use their phone - which to be honest is not justification or motivation what was performed on that demo of this. So before me or anyone in their right mind hits the buy button, please tell me there is a more justified and motivational way to look at your phone - as the way Dave did it is no way near strong enough, logical or justificational enough
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I have had so much fun performing this for colleagues and friends today!

Thought I'd help clear some things up! So first of all, you genuinely do not have to touch the spectators phone. Everything is well justified and whilst some presentational aspects of this will help your credibility greatly, its so well constructed, no one as questioned a thing. Secondly, the justification for acquiring the information. There are currently three methods included for getting what you need. Each is really well justified and so well constructed. There is no reason for anyone to question a thing! If you've seen David Blaine perform it on TV and have those kind of reactions, surly its evident that not only does the effect work, but it works incredibly well. Thirdly, strangely no one has mentioned, the genuinely end up on a real life wikipedia page! They will never found anything suspicious! Its diabolically clever and made me smile so much! And lastly, Exposure. I saw earlier this year maybe even last year, the Dynamo magic set had WOW in. That magic set has sold countless amounts and I have seen it for sale everywhere. I was so concerned that I wouldn't be able to use WOW in my gig because of this. One of my corporate gigs this year was for a toy company. I used WOW and as always, it was awesome! I don't think people knowing it's an app necessarily tips the method because they still don't know how it works. There is even a post further up in which someone says, Okay, so I get part of this but how does that give me the answer?! Furthermore, one of the methods doesn't really rely on the app persay!? Its an old magical principle.

So hopefully this has helped a little bit! Get it, don't get it, either way, Im happy with my purchase! Smile

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Why don't you simply use your phone as your notepad instead of bringing around a paper notepad and a pen?
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Sorry Jamie, completely disagree with your comment of even if they know it's an app it won top the method etc - if they know it's an app there is no point in performing it! What's the point in pretending to read someone's mind etc but they know your using an app to get the info - they don't know how your getting it but know a trick app is involved. It's a complete contradiction to you even performing it.

Plus if one of the ways taught to get the peek is what Dave used in performance then absolutely 100% this will not fly by with anyone. There literally was no justification or logic explained why he had to pitch his phone up. The first part was using motion as holding the phone close to your chest, well you don't need to pick your phone up, look at it and gesture by putting it close to you. You do it normally in a casual manner without your phone.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
You do not need to refer back to your phone as often as you saw in that performance- don't use that as the benchmark example. All the actions are completely justified and your phone is out of sight way earlier in the typical routine. Especially if you have a smartwatch. Also, everything takes place on the spectators phone that you never touch- so its hard for any spectator to backtrack that an app was involved since nothing was installed on their device, let alone the actual layered very deceiving methods at play.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I'm just hoping there is a stronger justification than what Dave performed. But surely if dave was to demonstrate this on his show, he would have used the strongest peek technique possible? It perform it an illogical and unjustified manner why he had to pick his phone up.

But those saying this was a weak way of getting the peek, I'm trusting you - I think
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, PRINCE wrote:
I'm just hoping there is a stronger justification than what Dave performed. But surely if dave was to demonstrate this on his show, he would have used the strongest peek technique possible? It perform it an illogical and unjustified manner why he had to pick his phone up.

But those saying this was a weak way of getting the peek, I'm trusting you - I think

Prince have you seen the David Blaine performance of WikiTest there is a section edited out and that is the motivated part. Also you can also use a smarwatch for the peek if you have one. Either way the effect is well scripted and motivated by Marc.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
There are multiple peek methods with the app, but the one he used is extremely justified if performed properly.

When he did this he awkwardly stared at his phone for awhile, and didn't make it seem natural.

When I do this I make a call-back to the impossible odds, show them my calculator on my phone which shows the odds, and get my peek right in front of them. Extremely smooth and natural.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I did assume/guess Graham that the time DB peeked was edited out but it would have been nice to see even him use a logical and motivated action - and seen the way he peeked, what he said etc. But can someone say using the calculator method of this justification to launch calculator, just before getting the peek, then out of the 3 ways taught, is this the strongest, weakest or medium in your opinion knowing the 3 different peek methods?
Thanks
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
One of the most important qualities in mentalism is confidence.

Given your tentative and worried reaction to the reassurances from every one who owns this effect, I'm not sure it would be the ideal effect for you.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Hahaha - let me assure you this is more than an ideal effect for me. Performing as a professional mentalist I'm a tad more experienced and wise than you may think.

Just a little comment for you Martin, one of the most important qualities in mentalism is not being naive and understanding that society are not stupid or dull and more educated and intelligent than you may think. Whether it be magic or mentalism your audiences job in their eyes is trying to work out how you did something. The moment anything is illogical and unjustified then that's the moment it happens - nothing to do with confidence in this aspect.

After you walk away from performing this your spectators will start discussing how you knew the info. THEY WILL discuss the fact the time you looked at your phone! If someone feels it was not logical and justified enough as to the reason why you 'had' to look at your phone, they will just come to the conclusion that was the time. Regardless how clever it may be how it got to your phone, they are satisfied enough to stop scratching their head.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I don't even own this effect but I can figure out several ways to make any peek invisible from watching the performances clips.

Everyone who has it has vouched for its effectiveness. And some of them are the most trustworthy, experienced performers on the Café.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Yep your right and once you have this and know that a peek needs to be involved, then you could/should ideally come up with other ways to get the peek if you don't like the suggested ways.

Plus as you said which is also what I said, so many have endorsed this and credited the other variations for the peek making it completely justified and logical.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Prince as I mentioned in an earlier post if you own a smart watch: You can gesture with your hand to the spec to hold their phone to their chest so you cannot see what they have put, and in that moment you get the peek from your wrist in a natural way. There are numerous effective and direct ways to achieve this throughout your performance You have the advantage. As others have recommended and suggested.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Whether you are peeking an imp pad a CT a wallet or a s****h and delayed read the timing of the peek comes down to the performer. In Davids defence in actual performance David uses one of the other peeks that doesn't use the phone so in the real world his phone is away before the word is even selected. For the demo he used the basic peek because not everyone will have the other thing, as this isn't the way he does it in the real world the timing isn't perfect.

Personally I think it would have been perfectly fair to do it exactly as he does it in the real world because it would be a true representation but David felt that it wouldn't be fair to those that don't have the sort of "time" that some of us have. Likewise the most justified and simple self contained peek shows a bit of the method that Marc would prefer is kept hidden. Personally I think a full unedited performance from start to finish would show just how motivated and deceptive this is but that's not my call and I have the utmost respect for Marc so if that's what he wants then I'm not going to argue.

When it comes to backtracking the random word that is merely thought of (i.e. The book test part) cancels anything else out.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Prince you're missing the point..

I don't get the peek by looking at my phone before launching the calculator. In fact, I get it in real time while showing them the odds. The calculator is never not on the screen. It isn't closed or changed or anything. They see everything. Therefore it's very fooling.

But also, there are sneakier ways to get a peek than the calculator.

PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, gtx magic wrote:
Prince as I mentioned in an earlier post if you own a smart watch: You can gesture with your hand to the spec to hold their phone to their chest so you cannot see what they have put, and in that moment you get the peek from your wrist in a natural way. There are numerous effective and direct ways to achieve this throughout your performance You have the advantage. As others have recommended and suggested.

Graham

Too true and yes if you think, there are numerous discreet ways to do/get the peek
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, TheDirectionalist wrote:

I don't get the peek by looking at my phone before launching the calculator. In fact, I get it in real time while showing them the odds. The calculator is never not on the screen. It isn't closed or changed or anything. They see everything. Therefore it's very fooling.

I'm not asking to know etc so apologies if this is coming across. I'm just imagining from other comments that after they search, you then comment about the odds. You then bring your phone out facing you. As you press the home button you get the peek then quickly press it again which brings your home screen on to which you launch the calculator. If this is correct or possible then just don't know why Dave didn't just perform it like that.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, PRINCE wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, TheDirectionalist wrote:

I'm not asking to know etc so apologies if this is coming across. I'm just imagining from other comments that after they search, you then comment about the odds. You then bring your phone out facing you. As you press the home button you get the peek then quickly press it again which brings your home screen on to which you launch the calculator. If this is correct or possible then just don't know why Dave didn't just perform it like that.

I don't want to reveal too much, but no that is not how I get the peek. You can get the peek while having the calculator open and while showing them the odds. In fact if you wanted you could have the calculator open the whole time on a table nearby. You could pick it up show them the odds, then put it back down without pressing the home button or closing the calculator.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WikiTest - The Wikipedia Book Test (172 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20..24..28..32..34~35~36 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL