The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Missing word / term (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Hiya

I need the English term for routines that look like the trick gone be wrong but suddenly there is a surprising, unexpected end.

In German it's "Aufsitzer Trick"
Knock knock...
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
The term you're looking for might be "sucker trick." A typical plot will have the audience believing they've discovered the secret, or believing the magician will fail. In the climax, it is revealed that the audience did not really know the secret, or that the magician has not failed.

I've also heard this described as "magician in trouble" or "magician in peril."
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Doug's answer is probably what you are looking for, but there are other approaches that are close that you might consider.

"Spectator as hero," "garden path," "thematic interlude," and even "false premise."

PM me if any of these are of interest, or ignore if Doug's answer is complete enough.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Literally between your German and English would be a "Flop" Trick, but I think it probably hints at "Flip-Flop" Trick. The English idiom "Flop" means to fail or unsuccessful, so a "Flip-Flop" would mean to "make an abrupt reversal of failure".
(Just to beat a Dead Horse! haha)
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Thank you for your help.

I try to construct a routine as an example.
A spectator picks a card. After a few shuffles and some mambo jambo I try to find his card in the deck. And I fail, lets say 3 times, I shrough and turn around pretending walking away. On the back of my jacket is a big card showing the value the spectator picked.

Hope it explains what kind of effect I'm talking about.

Greets
El
Knock knock...
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Tommy Wonder called them "failureffects" (Books of Wonder Vol. 1). It seems that the term has not been widely accepted by the magic community. The general thinking is (extremely abbreviated) that "sucker trick" shows a lack of respect for the spectators, while "failureffects" just describes the presentational effect of failed attempts before the successful climax.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Missing word / term (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL