The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » None of Them Knew They Were Robots - Art Vanderlay (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Supposedly, this is Art Vanderlay's last release to the community. I was lucky enough to get a review copy. Here are my thoughts:

Theta Sigma: This is such a fun presentation! The presentation revolves around time travel to reveal a selected word. The word must be forced and the manuscript doesn't teach how because the focus in this routine is on the presentation. I don't want to say too much about it because I don't want to give anything away, but it is so fun and so weird. The spectators would definitely remember this one. It is one of the coolest reveals of a thought of word.

Ele-Mental: This is a basic equivoque effect centered around the elements, but I do think it is quite effective. Art said this routine made him one of the most sought after performers at a psychic fair, and I can see why. It leaves them with an interesting keep sake which will remind them to tell others of you. This said, I would never perform this effect; it's a bit too mystical for my personal approach, but I can see it working well for many performers out there.

Creepy Cryptids: This is Art's use of the newer principle in mentalism. In essence, you are able to read the mind of someone who is thinking of a mythical creature. You show a post card of the world with numerous mythical creatures. They think of it, and you are able to name it. It is great use of the principle and would work most of the time. I say most of the time only because I can imagine a trouble making spectator could just ignore one part of your instructions which would make it more difficult to read their mind. Again, this is great, but I don't necessarily see myself performing it. It doesn't fit my performing style very well.

The Familiar Book Test: This combines Art's version of an Al Mann technique with the principle from the previous effect. In essence, they open a book anywhere, remember a word anywhere on the page, and you tell them their word. It seems a bit more like an idea rather than a real thing at the moment, however, I think it has a lot of possibility. It could perhaps even be made a bit more specifically by actually publishing a book through lulu. It's a clever idea which very well might work. The force of the page is actually quite genius.

Elements of Choice: This is another equivoque routine using elements and the name of someone the spectator loves. It's actually a very nice presentation which really makes the effect valuable to the person you're performing for. Essentially, they are able to find the blank business card which has their lover's name written on the back. It's a very nice routine.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeesy: A very nice card force with no cards or props of any kind. I'm not entirely sure how original this is, Peter Turner definitely has something along the same lines as this, but that said, I believe it to be a legitimate force which would work in a pinch.

U.T.S.F.F.A.A.C.A.A.N.E.B.T.E.H.Y.E.S.M.A.V: This is Art's take on an ACAAN plot. The number and card are forced but in a very fair way which uses no props. I like this idea a lot actually and I can see it being very successful. It is about as clean as it gets.

Prediction Impossible: This is actually 2 ways to predict an event on Facebook. It's a great idea and you can predict the event days, weeks, or even months before the event actually occurs. Its a workable idea for the right venue, the right time, and the right place. I did check before posting, and yes, it does indeed work Smile

Yhtap Elet: 10 audience members make drawings on index cards and drop them into an envelope. A test is done to find the most psychic person in the audience. This person comes on stage. Another spectator also comes on stage and empties the drawings from the envelope into a large bowl. This spectator picks out a drawing, looks at it, remembers it, and then stands on stage. The performer gives the most psychic audience member a couple of tips about how to read minds. Then this psychic audience member makes a drawing on a pad. It perfectly matched the drawing the spectator is thinking of. This is quite clever as well. It reminds me a lot of Ken Dyne's "Whisper" though. It has a lot of similarities. I guess the main improvement here, is that you genuinely tell the spectator how to read the other person's mind. I can't really say too much, but you are cleverly able to give the psychic audience member some advice which will genuinely determine what drawing the spectator is thinking of. Nice thinking.

My Last Effect Ever: This is actually genius. It's a way to predict the headline. This would actually be genius if you combined it with another method as well. For instance, send someone an envelope, meet with them a day before the show to show them how to open the envelope on stage, and then the next day, they are to go out, buy a newspaper, and come to the show with their envelope. They do all of this, and you have successfully predicted the paper. Sadly, this won't work for us in the USA. But those in the UK have a real treat at your disposal!

All in all, this is some great work with some great ideas. Some of it doesn't fit my style, but regardless, the thoughts within are very nice and practical. It is just $20 from:

https://artlastebookever.blogspot.cl/

Definitely worth the bit of dough.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3382 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I wonder if this is Art Vanderlay's final e-book in the same way that the Hammersmith Odeon gig was Ziggy Stardust's final concert?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
I wonder if this is Art Vanderlay's final e-book in the same way that the Hammersmith Odeon gig was Ziggy Stardust's final concert?

We shall see! It's always dangerous to say something is the last one!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12231 Posts

Profile of John C
Why would he make such a claim? I'm sure he has more ideas.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Thank you so much for the review Madison!

It is indeed my last eBook ever! That doesn't mean my last release ever though! ;-) I still have two more surprises up my sleeve!

Really pleased you liked the content, it was hard parting with some of them.

Kind regards
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Effect descriptions have now been added to Lybrary, Penguin, Amiras Ideas and my site.

Kind regards.
Art
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Really fantastic title! Best of luck with this Art.

Best,

Atlas
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
"Your headline prediction is the cleanest version I have ever seen! Please don't let this be your last release" - Neal Scryer

Cheers Neal!

Kind regards
Art
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
214 Posts

Profile of debjit
I got a copy of this too and am really pleased with it. Here are my thoughts on the effects:

Theta Sigma:
I love "magician in trouble" plots and this is a great one. It's basically a funny presentation idea to reveal a forced word, playing card, etc. It might also make the spectator believe in time travel Smile Will perform this one!

Ele-Mental:
This is a 4 object equivoque script which hits harder than a regular prediction. Suitable for casual situations.

The Familiarity Principle:
2 effects are taught using a principle from Bob Cassidy and combined with few other methods. The principle has a lot of potential and I'll use it to create effects which will fit my style more.

Elements of Choice:
This is another equivoque routine using the 4 elements and a name written down by the spectator. I can see myself performing this for couples on weddings, anniversaries, etc.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeesy:
A quick propless card force. There are chances of not hitting but they're slim. Even an ACAAN presentation is included.

Prediction Impossible:
A cool method to predict something on Facebook in advance using multiple outs.

Yhtap Elet:
A drawing duplication where one participant reads the mind of another. Like the thinking on this.

My Last Effect Ever:
A brilliant way for UK magicians to predict tomorrow's headline.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá

We are very happy to see Art Vanderlay-Impossible Prediction on BGT!

You can learn it and more at this eBook "None of Them Knew They Were Robots "
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
kollo
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kollo
As the headline prediction is "for UK magicians": Will the headline prediction work in germany?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » None of Them Knew They Were Robots - Art Vanderlay (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL