The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi, everyone (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Hello, all,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I've been mostly a lurker, but have always had an interest in magic and more recently mentalism. I'm a thirty-year-old Assistant Professor of Literature at a smaller private university. This gives me a perfect setting in which to practice my mentalism, as students are always eager for a five-minute break from a grueling lecture (especially in the longer once-a-week classes), and I can often link the mentalism material to our topics in the course. I also find it helps that they view me as an authority figure with a degree next to my name. The position of authority in an academic context makes them more ready to believe that all the manipulation is psychological rather than physical. On the other hand, because I'm a teacher I do make sure to emphasize that this is a fun diversion from class, and I use the tired naturalistic/psychological explanation in that context just because it does have truth to it (I love mental forces and the like), and I don't want to abuse my position of authority in case some students might be deceived too much into thinking I can actually read minds.

I really enjoy things like Bob Cassidy's Name/Place and his version of 4DT--there is just such a logical elegance to these pieces that I find both incredibly satisfying and graceful. Book tests are also fun given my profession, and since one of my skills I had before my interest in mentalism was speed reading, I find I can pull of something like the Hoy book test with an incredibly fast riffle that makes the effect very convincing, though it can be quite cringe-worthy when done poorly. It's probably the only effect I'm naturally good at, since my sleight-of-hand skills aren't the greatest.

Anyway, what I've learned mostly on this forum is how little I know, so I'm eager to learn and just wanted to say hello even if I don't yet have much to contribute.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Welcome. Glad to be a part of your journey!
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Hello and welcome!
starstruck
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
111 Posts

Profile of starstruck
Welcome, and have a nice stay!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome January,

I have 98.6 degrees and nobody is impressed.

I look forward to your posts. You have a unique perspective.

-Mary Mowder
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Thanks for the welcome! I'm fairly certain I've already profited from reading posts by a few of you in this thread, so thanks for that as well!

Quote:
I have 98.6 degrees and nobody is impressed.

Smile Smile

As for the degrees, over the past year I've actually become a bit ashamed to have a Ph.D. in the humanities for various reasons that we could discuss on another forum, but at least it gives for more congenial audience of students. I know doing magic or mentalism in a more impromptu setting where people will really try to through you or mess up an effect must be challenging--I can't imagine how you pros handle some of the people you must encounter!
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
*throw you. Darn autocorrect.
CrossMagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CrossMagic
The beautiful thing about Magic is you NEVER stop learning Smile

Welcome and keep topping up that knowledge!

Regards,

Cross
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Quote:
The beautiful thing about Magic is you NEVER stop learning Smile

Welcome and keep topping up that knowledge!

Indeed! I already feel that learning mentalism and magic has greatly helped my critical thinking skills. Despite being an academic who has been learning for a long time, even the simplest mentalism effects made me feel like and idiot. They utterly baffled me. I watched Bob Cassidy's name/place routine on Youtube over and over and over, even on slo-mo to try to figure out how he did it. I still hadn't a clue until I broke down, got his book, and learned how it was done!

I think it's really cool that the precise reason that magic DOES work is that it uses a different approach to thinking than what 99% of people use in their everyday lives. I've really enjoyed exercising that part of my brain. It still feels weak and atrophied, but it's getting stronger!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The world is full of good magic that does not take slight of hand. ENJOY!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi, everyone (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL