The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic on Audio books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Has anyone heard of books like Royal Road to card magic or Bobo's modern coin magic in audio form? I am legally blind and any magic books in audio form would be very helpful in my learning process.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
BlindWizard, I've never heard of any foundational book in magic being made available as an audio book. I would think the challenge would be that such books rely heavily on illustrations to explain certain things. I believe the Darwin Ortiz book 'Designing Miracles" is available in audio form, and I would think that books that discuss magic theory or history would work well as audio books, but perhaps not sleight of hand.

Of course, this just means that you have to be the first one to create such a thing. You have the market to yourself!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
With the clear description of hand and finger placement that most books take audio books would be possible. Perhaps I need to find an experienced magician to learn from or at least someone to practice with.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of Russo
Isn't there a contraption that when its put over a book can read same - also any GOOD FRIEND - though NOT a Magician - possibly could read and tell from pictures -what to do - Just a thought.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8637 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have worked with several persons with visual impairments on learning performance magic.
The successes came from kinetic learning rather than just auditory input as "reading what is in the book."

The material must be "translated" to form good mental images, combined with their ability to feel hand and body positions.

Obviously, a performer who looses sight in later life can learn from just being read to, but a person who has never seen a magic effect performed cannot do easily.

It is a challenge for any magician who would wish to mentor a visually impaired - and perhaps an eBook guide would be marketable.

Issues like audience engagement and trick selection would have to be individualized - for me, only though continuous mentoring and observation.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
BlindWizard, I've heard of several blind magicians. Perhaps you could reach out to some of them for advice on learning magic.

In my home state of Minnesota we have Jeffry Smith, who performs as "The Amazing Jeffo." You can probably contact him through his website: http://www.amazingjeffo.com

Richard Turner of San Antonio, Texas, is one of the nation's foremost card experts. You may be able to contact him through his website: https://richardturner52.com
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2016, BlindWizard wrote:
With the clear description of hand and finger placement that most books take audio books would be possible. Perhaps I need to find an experienced magician to learn from or at least someone to practice with.

What part of the world are you in?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
What part of the world are you in? [/quote]

I am in Oklahoma City.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic on Audio books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL