The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which coins to get (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Trace3k
View Profile
New user
Vancouver Canada
21 Posts

Profile of Trace3k
I am going to be treating myself to an ex******ed ] and a Fl******r. I'm looking for reasonably well made but am not looking to break the bank. These will be my first gaffs. Where would be the best place to shop?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3306 Posts

Profile of warren
Funny you should bring this up as I'm also looking at getting a S***l set and !@#$**r myself, Jamie Schoolcraft has some great coins, good customer service etc however he is a bit expensive however if it wasn't for the dreaded import tax I would probably get all my coins from him.

What I'm most likely going to do is use magikoins who's based in France for my S***l set and to get the !@#$**r as whilst this will save me some cash will still allow me to purchase a quality set.

The other mid range option is JB Magic which once again offers great customer service, good luck with your search and keep us posted how you get on Smile
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I am in the same boat. I may invest in coins from Lassen but from what I hear, it will be painful dealing with him through email. I wonder how Schoolcraft compares to Lassen?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3306 Posts

Profile of warren
Ash2arani I've emailed Lassen myself quite a while ago and I'm still waiting for a reply, from what I've read and been told you will have much better success if your able to contact him visa phone however living in the UK this isn't really practical for me.

When I've contacted Jamie Schoolcraft on the other hand they have been reasonably quick to reply, there are two main camps when it comes to the top coin men which are from all accounts Lassen and Schoolcraft so I personally can't see how you can go wrong with either of these two and the only reason for me using magikoins of France for part of my order is purely due to the high import tax I would have to pay if I got my complete order from the USA.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, warren wrote:
Ash2arani I've emailed Lassen myself quite a while ago and I'm still waiting for a reply, from what I've read and been told you will have much better success if your able to contact him visa phone however living in the UK this isn't really practical for me.

Google voice is the way to go for that.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Yeah, Google voice is the way. I am still debating whether I get an expanded [ set from Lassen or Schoolcraft. Any advantage of one over the other (not price)?
Trace3k
View Profile
New user
Vancouver Canada
21 Posts

Profile of Trace3k
What do people think of Roy Kueppers work? They're more in my price range. Or maybe Johnson's.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5333 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Both Lassen and Schoolcraft do nice custom coin work, but in my opinion Lassen creates the absolutely best coin gaffs available. Until I got a few from Lassen I had no idea just how good his work is. Unbelievable quality.

Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3306 Posts

Profile of warren
I have no idea what google voice is ?? it must be my age Smile
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Thanks J-Mac. I will probably try to get in touch with Todd after the New Year Smile

Warren, google voice = free calls to the US over the internet Smile But it may be tricky to set up now.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3306 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the info regards the google voice although after the research I've done I think that Jamie is the man for me personally.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
966 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I LOVE my Barbers Deans Set (Schoolcraft), fast delivery, amazing work. My two cents.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There are a couple of threads (older) discussing dealing with Roy.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I love lassen work. I have invested a lot in his coins and it was worth it. It's hard to get ahold of him and you'll have to wait but his coins are a piece of art
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
If you're not a professional, I recommend Johnson Products.

If you're a professional, go with a pricey set. You can write it off on your taxes.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Trace3k
View Profile
New user
Vancouver Canada
21 Posts

Profile of Trace3k
Thanks, Jim. I think that's where I'm going. I'm an amateur just starting multi-coin tricks.
aspiring Magician
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of aspiring Magician
I own the 3CM from Schoolcraft, the split coins and CSB from Roy Kueppers. Both sets are very nice but I have a small issue with each. Roy has been helpful and easy to get a hold of. I have dropped my split coin set several times practicing and have had to purchase new magnets from Roy several times. I don't know if it is the magnet but when I have dropped my 3CM set the magnet has never been effected. My CSB set from Roy is great but the coin started to separate and I had to use crazy glue to fix. Again he has been very helpful and the coins are great but are a little sensitive to handle.

My 3CM however has got little to no use because it takes a very noticeable action to separate the inner coin from the regular sized [. The x[ works great. When I contacted Jamie he explained the gimmick wasn't really designed for the half dollar size (mine is a Walking Liberty set) and so the weight of the coin doesn't work well with the 3CM. He suggests to get the dollar size coin.I didn't know this until after I purchased and received the set. It put me off a little because if you're offering high end coins you should only offer sets that will work for their function.

Anyhow the coins look good but it makes performance difficult because you basically have to shake your hand very noticeable to utilize. I mean very noticeably.

As for Todd's I have tried to contact him and look into purchasing but he is very hard to get in touch with. Basically when you do get a hold of him be ready to make your decision and purchase because you might not hear from him again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which coins to get (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL