The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you do when people want to inspect your a egg bag? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
What do you do when someone wants to inspect the egg bag after performing the trick?

Is there somewhere that sells two egg bags for the trick: one for the trick with the gimmick and one to switch with no gimmick so you can hand over for inspection?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been using the Mardo/Sterling egg bag since 1952. Nobody has EVER asked to inspect/examine the bag, before, during, or after I've performed with it. --Nobody!!! --And, I've performed it for some very particular senior high school groups!

The egg bag is a classic prop. One must have a ROUTINE! The first time that I saw it done, I was somewhat less than impressed. It was in a movie in the early or mid '40s. The scene was a party in a living room. Each guest did "something". One played piano, one sang, one told a funny story, and, one dragged (!) a little bag from his pocket, turned it inside out, then back "inside in". He snapped his fingers, reached in the bag and brought out an egg. Replacing the egg in the bag, he snapped his fingers again, and showed the bag empty. Then he sat down. I didn't care if I ever saw an egg bag again!

In December of '51, I was helping behind the counter of the old Edmar Magic Shop (Norfolk, VA) I tell the whole story in my book, but, will edit it for this post.) Senor Charles Mardo lectured for Ring 103. His lecture was basically, his act. He PERFORMED the egg bag! It was a SIMPLE, FUNNY ROUTINE. He got LAUGHS, and APPLAUSE at the finish.

I bought one the next day. It became a big feature in the act, I used it for 50 plus years. Except for a ten year period when I used
doves (including the dove bag).When the doves died (old age)I put the egg bag back in. It always plays very well, for kids,adults and mixed groups.

I published my routine in my book. It's SIMPLE & FUN! (runs 3 minutes)

From the way you talk about it, it's apparent that you just DO it. You need to PERFORM it, using a GOOD ROUTINE.

Jay Marshall and I had a "formula" for adding a "new" trick to one's act:

1. Learn how the trick is DONE!

2. Learn how to DO it!

3. Learn how to DO IT SO THAT IT ENTERTAINS PEOPLE!!! (that's the hard part!)

Now! What type, or style of bag do you have? Tarbell? Sterling/Mardo, Miller/Malini, or the old "standard"???

Note! there are several others, not so common, e.g. The Tommy Windsor "bank bag" that uses a "golden" egg, the Gen Grant bag with a net corner, the Percy Abbott which uses a thin silk bag? (There are others!!!_

Tell me what type you have, and, perhaps I can recommend a routine.

The main thing to realize is: It's an EGG trick, not a BAG trick!

I check this forum every day!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Senor Mardo Egg Bag.
I would appreciate a routine.
Thanks!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.!

From whom did you buy your bag? Most of the people that I know, who sell the Sterling/Mardo bag, provide a basic routine!

I'm just curious!

Harold Sterling, who, as far as I know, originated the bag that bears his name, in the late '30s or at least before 1941. I have a copy of Harold's original instructions. In a Sterling catalog of '41, (IIRC) Harold credits Charlie Mardo with originating the "outside the bag vanish of the egg".

I first met Mardo, in 1947, when I was 16, in Bob Stull's magic shop in San Francisco. We became friends.
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Penguin. I have "The Senor Mardo Egg Bag" by Martin Lewis DVD.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Abbeylane, I think Dick is right (of course). If people are asking to see your egg bag, it might be that you're letting them focus all of their mental energy on the "How did that happen" aspect of your performance. Entertain them and leave them laughing, and you'll take heat off the mystery itself.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
Also another thing is to change the emphasis from "How did that happen" aspect as Doug described it and shift it to convincers that prove that there nothing strange about the bag.

Have a look at Denny Haney's egg bag routine from his promo on youtube and you'll see that he throws a convincer out from the start by simply having the bag turned inside out and patted by the spectator establishing from the out set the normality of what he has shown. Denny continues with these simple things like getting spectators to check when the egg is there and when it isn't at each phase of the routine helping to continually establish the disappearance and appearance of the egg.

With enough entertainment as Doug suggested directing them away from the bag littered with these subtle convincers I feel you should minimise the suspicion on the bag.

For egg bag routines get this download called Knowing the Egg Bag: http://www.lybrary.com/knowing-the-egg-b......699.html

To see the Denny Haney routine go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aUhDAqU_zw

Magically

Aus
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Borrow a knit hat from a kid in the audience, use it as your egg bag, then return the hat to the kid who loaned it to you. No examination problem, and much funnier than using a store-bought egg bag prop. See: "There's An Egg In Your Hat" in the Mini-Mysteries Book 4 at The Magic Nook.
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Thanks guys. You're probably right; it's not the routine but the person doing it. Lol

I'll watch the links and see what I'm missing.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll PM you (today, I hope)
Russo
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of Russo
A routine - the egg bag is my Lunch Bag- (after asking if the kids take a lunch to school or picnic) - mentioning ALL kinds of Junk food then an Egg, because I'm on a diet- doing the regular routine- when I get the egg- mention its hard boild- do the crack the egg on a vol. head(spreading the fingers feels like a raw egg)- I'm only kidding -said to the kid- then ask Vol. where eggs come from- You with loud whisper say'PUBLIX(my local grocery store) as if Vol. said 'publix'!!- you then mention and show eggs come from 'chickens'(my egg bag turns into a chicken-at the finish).. Any Help?? Ralph(ruso)Rousseau
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry Russo! When Gen Grant first brought out his "chicken" egg bag in the '40s, I thought, and still do think, that, the magician who uses it, has destroyed any idea that the bag is not gaffed.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My solution to that objection is to produce my "chicken hat" from the borrowed child's hat. At the very end, I cram everything produced back into the child's hat and give it back to him to wear home - at which point he finds the hat as empty as when he first handed it to me. Clearly, the magic is within ME and not within his hat.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I also make my egg bag my "lunch bag." I have "Harry's lunch" scrawled on it. I produce a peanut butter and liverwurst sandwich, some prunes (but I point out they are supposed to be called "dried plums" not prunes because "prunes" make people think of pooping) and the egg.

I think when magicians put a lot of emphasis on showing the bag empty, having the spectator reach inside it, slamming it against their knee, etc. etc. it only makes people think about the bag being gimmicked.
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Interesting points Gomerel. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you do when people want to inspect your a egg bag? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL