The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? Doubts (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Hello how are you?
im new to magic and im reading some books, watch videos and training.
yesterday I started to read Tarbell Course.

I did some pocket shows in christmas, birthday parties and one show in kindengarten.

what I realized is that some tricks are very interesting for some person and some other don't care about.
I know that some presentation is for children and others for adults, but in a kids show some kids ( with the same age) like some trics and others don't.

my doubt is:

Its a matter of experience with magic, to know if a trick is good before to show this?

thanks.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of Russo
Don't just do a trick - have a reason for it-- a story -- etc. you can always try it - if your satisfied its- ok -Keep going. Ralph
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Kleberdexter!

Tarbell will help! You're just starting! I've been "at it" for 70 years, and, I still learn new things!

The old Latin proverb, "FESTINA LENTE"! (Make haste slowly!) is important to remember!

An infant learns to crawl before he learns to walk!

It's not necessary to learn every sleight, the first day!

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." --S. H. SHARPE
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Thanks Dick Oslund. Im very happy with your advices. I look for you at Google And I see you book And dvd.
I try to fine some shop that send it t brazil.
Thanks.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
what I realized is that some tricks are very interesting for some person and some other don't care about.
I know that some presentation is for children and others for adults, but in a kids show some kids ( with the same age) like some trics and others don't.

As Dick has pointed out before, magic in itself is not necessarily entertaining. It is the magician's presentation that is entertaining - or not!

And the path from beginning to an entertaining presentation often leads through many shows that could have been better. What will make the next show better is that you take notes - in your mind or on paper or in video - of what worked, what didn't work, and what you can do better next time.

No one asks for perfection - especially from a beginner. Even the best pros have days when things don't go completely right! Did you do your best? Did you try yo see where you can improve? Then you are well on your way!! :8>)

Just make sure it's all fun, for you and for them.
Ed
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
There is no such thing anywhere in the world that will be universally liked by every person. But with experience, you'll have more luck writing your scripts to appeal to as much of your audience as possible. A good way to get started on that path is to study magic presentations that do go over well, but instead of paying attention to the tricks, pay attention to how the magician presents them. Don't try to just copy them, but learn from what works and what doesn't as you watch, and as you perform. After each performance, take an honest inventory of what worked for you and what needs to improve.

I recommend you should study the books and videos of Eugene Burger as a good resource on presenting magic, as well.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Thanks ED_Milis. I was get the focus on the tricks and not in presentations. Ill change this.
I took some notes but just of the tricks that did in some show.
Ill take notes of every presentation.

Robert ill search for the books and videos of Eugene Burger.
Thanks.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Eugene is a friend of about 40 years. He is an experienced and successful magician, and, an author of some very good magic books.

RobertlewisIR, made a couple of very good points. His comments reminded me that another friend (and, another "Eugene"!) Gene Anderson, would audio tape every show, years ago. On his way home, he would listen to audience reaction, etc. to his show. He was scrupulous about changing even a word or two, that wasn't "right"!

Yes! PRESENTATION is critical to the success of a magic trick (and, the whole show, too!).
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Taping a show is a good idea. If you can swing it, get a video camera at every show. Doesn't have to be a good one; you're the only person who will see it. If you can, try to film from different angles at every show, just in case something looks different to different parts of the audience.

When you go home, consider doing this. First, turn the video off and listen only to the audio. Fix any mistakes, of course, but also check to see if you're interesting to just listen to. A good presentation should still be entertaining even if the audience can't see any of the action.

Then watch the routine with the sound off. You're looking for any mistakes, any suspicious moves, anything that seems out of place. Throughout the show, it should look like you did nothing, and that the magic truly happened by magic.

Then watch it all together and make a final round of notes. Be brutal to yourself at every stage, because that's the best way to improve.

I'm also a big believer in rehearsing (at a certain stage in the process) to the camera, and going through a very similar process, even before I show it to anyone.

Of course, these tricks aren't always possible for every piece of magic or every show, but you'd be surprised how helpful they can be.

I didn't hear the recommendation from Gene Anderson (in fact, I don't remember who I heard it from; maybe Ken Weber's book, though I think I heard it earlier than I read that), but it's good advice regardless.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8641 Posts

Profile of funsway
When first performing back in my teen years I made a wise decision to perform as a team with other young magician as a team.

This enabled each of us to observe the audience (and parents for kid shows) and deal with audience participation better. ALso ..

Faster set up/breakdown. Protection of props. No delays/boredom between presentations. Less personal practice for a longer show, etc.

Of course, less income -- but we spent it all on new stuff anyway.

We also had adult mentoring for the local Magic Circle on individual tricks and presentation skills.

So, there is value in having a practice buddy, and also a performing partner.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Thanks RobertlewisIR.
Now im studyng to improve my presentations and Ill try to record my next presentations to view what aspects I can improve.
I don't have videos of my presentations, just photos.

Thanks Funsway.
I think nowadays is easier to take advices of others Magicians. In the past this communication just can be done by mail ( with magicians of other country) and its not too fast.
I think the better aspect of internet is this, I can communicate with big magicians arround the world (like you and others friends in this post).

Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? Doubts (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL