The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » How useful are these books? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
Hi all! Not sure if this is the right place to post but after clearing out some old family things this Christmas, I came across these two books and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on if they're good for someone just finding their feet with card magic? I have tried to attach photos but not sure if it's worked (I think my internet connection is too rubbish) so they are, "The Royal Road to Card Magic" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, and "Esp Card Magic" by Nick Trost.

Interested to hear any opinions and other recommendations. Thanks! Smile
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
_The Royal Road to Card Magic_ is considered a classic text on the subject. The summary at the GENII Magicpedia says:
-----quote-----
Royal Road to Card Magic is a book by Frederick Braue and Jean Hugard to provide a stepping stone to the more advanced and less accessible Expert Card Technique
---unquote-----
Retrieved from
http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?......rd_Magic

It is a great introduction to card magic. It is so highly respected among magicians that it has been adapted twice to video/DVD by two different magicians:
http://dennymagic.com/store/catalogsearc......yal+road

The reviews at amazon.com average out to four stars.
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Road-Card-M......rd+magic
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Forty years ago, I recommended RRTCM to a young lad whom I was mentoring. He bought it, he read it, AND, he used what he learned from it to help make a iiving for thirty years.

Unfortunately, he died of a diabetes complication at 51, but, he always considered his investment in RRTCM, a "good one".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
That's really encouraging, thanks guys. I know it's a bit lazy and I am trying to read as much as possible but with work and other things time slips away sometimes! So, I really want to try to read the good stuff! Any other good recommendations?
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Here is an excellent essay by Jamy Ian Swiss about this subject:
http://conjuror.community/jamy-ian-swiss-creativity/
tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
Thanks Steve! Smile There are some really good suggestions in that link. I have a few more books and things thaty were my Grandad's that I have to get through first but after that, I will definitely start working through ones in that article. It's also really cool that he has put down a non-magic book that all magicians should read (the Werner Herzog one). It actually begs another question: are there books/films/anything (!) that are a must for all magicians?
rgemagic
View Profile
New user
uk
55 Posts

Profile of rgemagic
I think RRTCM IS A great book it's what got me started but once card college was written it got superceeded. However I would suggest reading card collage first as otherwise the first book is frustrating as you know it all but I did it because of its brilliance.
tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
Thanks rgemagic. I have just sourced a copy of Card College on Amazon, well, quite a few actually! I guess I start with volume 1?! Smile
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Start with volume 1 as it covers "the basics" and is a good introduction. Volume 2 is quite good as well (All of them are!)

Carter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » How useful are these books? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL