The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Has Anyone Used The Referral Site "Alignable" With Any Success? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
464 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I'm not trying to re-start tired old discussions of online referral sites, but a good friend (non-magician/performer friend) who runs a successful flooring company recently referred me to the site and recommended it.

I've checked it out but haven't signed up. It seems fairly new, and like Thumbtack seems mostly geared toward making local connections right where people live.

Just wondering if anyone here has ACTUALLY USED IT and whether or not it has WORKED for you--meaning that it has translated into actual GIGS and not just "good leads" or "hopeful prospects" like so many in the "testimonial" section of the site talk about. I tried searching other threads here on the Café about this and none showed up. I'm also not trying to discuss the usefulness of such sites, as that has already been beaten to death here. Just looking for feedback on this site specifically.

It can be found here: www.Alignable.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22179 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Nope, never heard of this website, but it looks a lot like LinkedIn. This is the 2nd similar website to LinkedIn, I have seen in the last few months. Don't know why they took so long to copy the originator.

It is a website more for what they say, Networking to look for a job. I did sign up with LinkedIn several years ago, and I don't see how it would help a magician getting gigs. Unfortunately, to actually make contacts, that is where you have to pay for the next level of service.

If you can make Linkedin or Alignable work for you, then there is nothing wrong with sites like this. In magic, I have never known a magician to assist a person in obtaining shows, building a Vegas Act, or any of the things needed to get a foot in the door, so to speak. I get a lot of people wanting me to connect with them, to build a group, but I have never had an agent, want to connect. And, I don't see the purpose of connecting with another magician, of which, I get several referrals a week.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
464 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I have had a premium LinkedIn subscription for quite a few years and the best value it has rendered to me is that I can look up pretty much anyone (in the corporate realm anyway) to know who to connect with, and can create and build mailing lists (carefully and properly, not spammy). I also make part of my living as a corporate speaker, so that is where it seems to benefit me the most, particularly with connections at the local level.

Like you, Bill, I don't see the point in connecting with other magicians or mentalists there, so I don't.

While I see a number of agents present there, they rarely accept any invitation to connect because they know the deal. They are there to be visible to potential and current clients, not to be hit up by people like me looking for work. It has it's place that I believe is useful, but each person has to determine to what degree it can be useful to them and what they're willing to put into it. But I digress as I don't want to make this topic about the general usefulness of such sites.

Since searches about Alignable here have resulted in nothing, I assume no one (present on the Café, anyway) has been using it, or at least hasn't thought enough of it to discuss it if they have. My friend says it's a good place for her "to send me referrals." My point there is that she has my contact info and I have hers, and we don't need someplace to "do that through." I.e. if she wants to send me a referral, then by all means do so as there's no special tool needed for that. If I have someone to send to her, then I know how to put them in touch with her and her company.

If down the road someone finds some real value with it in a way that doesn't seem apparent right now, perhaps a search will result in a further discussion about it and we will know more. As of right now, though, I don't see the usefulness of it as it does seem to be more about job/career searching; I already a job and that is working to keep my calendar full with gigs and Alignable doesn't seem like a tool that is going to help me do that.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9681 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2017, CurtWaltermire wrote:
While I see a number of agents present there, they rarely accept any invitation to connect because they know the deal. They are there to be visible to potential and current clients, not to be hit up by people like me looking for work.

Yes! Great point and so nice of you to be respectful of you to understand that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Has Anyone Used The Referral Site "Alignable" With Any Success? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL