The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup and Balls--Overcoming Single "Handedness" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Hi all,

This is a followup to comments I made on the ambidextrous thread. The problem is developing skill with both hands. Here is something I am experimenting with--it is essentially a drill. It is meant to develop muscle memory, especially in the off hand.

Take a cup and three balls. Grip (palm?) one ball (I use the third and fourth fingers--this of course can be combined with the French drop, etc.), lift cup, and deposit per usual loading. Repeat until all three balls are under the cup. Then do it again, over and over.

After doing it for several minutes (5, 10, 15, whatever) with one hand, switch to the other and repeat. Alternatively, the drill could consist of doing three balls with the left hand, then three with the right.

The primary object is to develop muscle memory. It can be done as a general exercise during practice with cup and balls, or as an exercise on its own.

The idea behind this is to concentrate on one difficult move, with the intention of integrating it into the larger routine. It is the equivalent of a basketball player practicing free throws.

I did this about an hour last night, and I felt a marked improvement in my ability to perform with my offhand. Of course, like anything else to get real results one has to keep it up for several weeks or months.

Henry
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1293 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I usually use my offhand first when I learn new sleights. I am left handed. Someone tod me that f you learn with your off hand first then your regular hand you will learn quicker.
I have found that to be true.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Mobius,

That is an interesting idea, and I may give it a try (although for now I am pretty much a rank beginner).

Right now, when I "do" the French drop with my left hand (ironically, I am left-handed too), I feel like the trick would work better if I just cut it off!

Thanks for the suggestion.
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of medievalmagician
Must be a growing trend....left handed as well.

I am looking at revisiting the cups and balls and need to practice.

Practice should be about technique, not speed. At times I've also used a digital camera to review what would be seen from a spectator's POV.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Progress Report

Well, about four or five times at this (30+ minutes) and I have improved remarkably. I am now doing French drop and loading of cups.

HLT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup and Balls--Overcoming Single "Handedness" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL