The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making new cards feel "experienced" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
What is the quickest and/or best way to break in a new set of playing cards?? Need to get the "slick-off." That is, without having to play a hundred or so hands with them. Thanks!
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I usually just put them through their paces with shuffles, springs, and fans. Doesn't take too long before they're how I like them.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Robert, I took your advice and decided to quit looking for the easy way out.

While watching the Packers whip up on the Giants I sat down in my recliner, brought out my board and close-up pad, and just started riffle shuffles and springs on a new deck. Wow......how tough was that, Ha!!!! Thanks!!
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Robert, I took your advice and decided to quit looking for the easy way out. Thank you!!

While watching the Packers whip up on the Giants I sat down in my recliner, brought out my board and close-up pad, and just started riffle shuffles and springs on a new deck. That certainly limbered them up and helped a lot. However, they still have quite a bit of "slick" on them. The cards will still slide some when stacked up for a cut.

Thanks again and maybe there is something that will help more in regard to getting that darn slick reduced.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3399 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Try "Smoking" the deck. (I know you're going to ask...so here goes.)

Hold the deck flexed, as if preparing to spring the cards from hand to hand. Release your hold on the deck just enough to let the cards separate but not spring to the other hand. With the opposite hand take hold of the deck by the longitudinal(long)sides, thumb on one side and fingers on the opposite side. The other hand can now relax and release the flex. You have created space between each card that you can exhale your breath thru. Hold the deck up to your mouth and exhale several times thru the narrow end of the deck. You are creating moisture on the surfaces of the cards that will kill the slick.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22390 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fanning Powder will help your cards not slip around as much.

https://nnmagic.com/store/manipulation-s......-powder/
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
Stanyon, I have been working the cards as you suggested and progress is being made, thank you.

Bill, thank you as well, I probably do need to invest $5.00 on some fanning powder as I work more and more on card magic.

Always so nice to get advice from the pros!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm still using a deck of Bikes that I broke in for split fans and other "white glove" work in 1951!!!

They're not good for card work, but, for the fancy shuffles, etc. they're great.

I rolled each card, one at a time, around a hexogonal wooden pencil, and dusted them with zinc stearate. About once a year, I treat them to a zinc stearate "bath".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
I'm still using a deck of Bikes that I broke in for split fans and other "white glove" work in 1951!!!

They're not good for card work, but, for the fancy shuffles, etc. they're great.

I rolled each card, one at a time, around a hexogonal wooden pencil, and dusted them with zinc stearate. About once a year, I treat them to a zinc stearate "bath".

I am still a fledgling when it comes to card work. I always enjoy what you and a few others have to say on here.

How are those cards not just faded ribbons by now?

I go through about two packs a month working on shuffles and various other moves. I usually alternate between two packs each day to make them last longer. I've been trying to get into the habit to keeping my hands busy with cards and develop new habits in place of old ones. Much in the way Richard Turner does. My mind is always busy so I try to keep it on something constructive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making new cards feel "experienced" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL