The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Please Help (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerome Murray
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Jerome Murray
I have no idea how to tell if any magic I create is going to be good, powerful or even slightly magical I need help with this I have created some routines I think would be very powerful and punch you in the face but I tried them out on some one and well... they didn't react at all could this be partly because they have seen my magic before or I don't know I just need some advice on how to make my magic good. trust me I perform my sleights flawlessly because no one ever notice or calls me out on anything they just aren't impressed by my magic
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
669 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Without knowing the situation or a video to help out, I would say you were not entertaining.

If your presentation doesn't pull them in, then they won't be invested and in turn not care about what you are doing.

I would suggest asking them or video yourself doing an effect and make notes on what you are doing.

Other then that there are books about presentation. They may help you out.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I have several thoughts of the possible reason, and it could be any of these (or perhaps even a combination of several):

*If you performed for friends and family, particularly (but not exclusively) if you have already performed for them before, there is the very real possibility that the social dynamics are just not right and even a great piece of magic falls flat. You should perform to strangers (if and only if you're really ready to present, that is) and see how they play in that setting.

*It's possible your sleights weren't as flawless as you thought. I'll happily take you at your word, but it's also true that many people may be too polite to call you on it. You should consider video taping or performing to a mirror and honestly assessing just to double check yourself.

*It's possible your tricks are good but your presentation is not. Magic tricks are *somewhat* entertaining on their own, particularly if they're good tricks, but to really smack an audience between the eyes, you have to be a good showman as well. Remember that magic is a performing art and don't neglect the performance aspect. As Andy said, the audience needs to care not just about the trick, but about your character and presentation. If this is a weak point for you, Eugene Burger's DVD Exploring Magic Presentation (or a title very similar to that, anyway) is an excellent starting point, and there are many other books on presentation available (a scroll through even the most recent several posts in this section will give you plenty of reading material).

*It's also possible the tricks just weren't as good as you thought, or didn't fit your character. Sometimes trial and error is the only way to know if this is the case. If possible, you could consider joining a local magic club to demo them first in a "safe" place and get some input from others. EVen still, magicians and lay audiences don't always react the same way, so the only way to know for sure is to try them on real audiences.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22390 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What do you mean by the magic you create, are the tricks you are showing learned from a magic book, or are you just making things up that you think are magic.

I suggest you go to the local library, and check out and read the magic books they have to lend. From there you will learn what a magic trick is. The library also has many DVDs available on magic, and they can even order privately marketed DVDs that are not part of the library normal purchase process.

You cannot create magic until you know what a magic effect is, and what it entails.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
If you really want specific advice on specific aspects of what you do, post a video of your performance of one of the effects that you thought should play well, but didn't. There is no other way to get anything but general input, excellent though those general principles and ideas may be.
52PICKUP
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
2 Posts

Profile of 52PICKUP
I particularly like videos of myself performing a trick, illusion, or even just card manipulations or flourishes. You get the perspective of your intended audience and learn so much about positioning, angles of view, etc.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Indeed, 52PICKUP. My sequence usually goes something like this:

I practice just the moves without a mirror.
I practice with a mirror.
I write the full script and routine and practice with a mirror again.
I film myself, revise, and repeat.
Then I show a trusted test audience, revise, and repeat the entire process.
Then I show strangers, revise, and repeat the entire process.
I never stop revising.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
52PICKUP
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
2 Posts

Profile of 52PICKUP
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2017, RobertlewisIR wrote:
Indeed, 52PICKUP. My sequence usually goes something like this:

I practice just the moves without a mirror.
I practice with a mirror.
I write the full script and routine and practice with a mirror again.
I film myself, revise, and repeat.
Then I show a trusted test audience, revise, and repeat the entire process.
Then I show strangers, revise, and repeat the entire process.
I never stop revising.

"The only way to obtain perfection in any field is constant learning and practice." (unknown author)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi "52"!

That's a great quote. --author unknown to me, also!

I've heard the same thought expressed in a slightly more "colorful way":

"When you're through learning, you're through!"

@Jerome: My mother's maiden name was Murray, so we must be "cousins"!

I think that my old friend, Andy, said it very well, and, RobertlewisIR expanded the point. exceptionally well! Then, he followed that in his second post with his very specific system of practice, revising, and testing.

None of us KNOW you, or have any idea of how you perform, how much experience you have, ETC! David pointed out that your posting a video would really provide a much better "picture" of YOU, performing!

52 amplified David's point, and I agree!

My old pal Bill, got down to "basics"! --READ!!! I would augment Bill's advice. ("The man who has himself for a lawyer, has a poor lawyer!") From the way you express yourself, I suspect that you have, up to now, concentrated on tricks, and sleights. Robertlewis has recommended my old friend, Eugene Burger's book on presentation. I would add Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment", Dariel Fitzkee's "Showmanship", and Maskelynne & Devant's "Our Magic" to your reading list. Although "library" books seldom do more than "touch" on showmanship & presentation, I agree with Bill's counseling! He has been "around"! Just about every book that you read, will help to expand your understanding of magic.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It appears that, "like Elvis", Jerome has "left the building", without a response.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Please Help (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL