The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Buddha by Jean Pierre Vallarino (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
You are sitting down after dinner, just before coffee, and you pull out some empty cups (6, 7, 12 or more if you wish) -- and then you present a small Buddha statue. You turn your back so you cannot see what is happening. You ask a spectator to hide the Buddha underneath a face-down cup, and to mix up all the other face-down cups on the table. Without asking any questions, you immediately find the hidden Buddha!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22194

Does anyone have this? Comments?
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Interesting. It probably works just how we think it does, but it is priced right. Might be worth a try if it is 100% reliable.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mystification,

When you said "It probably works just how we think it does", that is my dilemma. If it works exactly the way we think it does, then it's not really new and I already have what I need to perform this. If it works because the Buddha is dark colored and the cups are just slightly transluscent, then I would be terribly disappointed. If it works with one of the old-fashioned methods, like a hanging thread, then again that isn't anything new.

Maybe someone who has this can comment on whether this is the application of an old principle to a Buddha statue or whether there is something else new here.

KJ
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Having watched the demo I rather like the look of this, but would welcome the thoughts of anyone who has this.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1892 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I got it and do like it, as it does not rely on electronics (which I do actually love, BTW, electronics, that is)
Uses similar method as Vino Sense, if you are familiar with that, so method is nothing new but works well, and super-easy to do. It's fun to do as he does in the demo with 12 or 15 cups. Nothing to do with the color of statue, and you can use short or tall cups.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of academy
This is a very old effect by Mr Vallarino. I bought it many years ago. I don't know if this is the same version or an update. What I have is a special statue and a special ring to "detect" the buddha. Never used it because you need to stay at a very close distance from the buddha to detect it. Of course you can buy more high tech detectors available on the market and use one of them instead of the one provided.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1892 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
He stresses in included video that the gimmick supplied is preferable, your PK ring won't work so well.
wil3923
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wil3923
Received it and finished watching the explanation. I think the demo is a bit misleading, which means what you see in the performance may not be what you are expected to get. I am saying this because I doubt that Mr. Vallarino did not use the exact same method as he explained in the tutorial. I think you cannot perform as clean and smooth (means knowing which cup has the statue by just a single wave of hand in those MANY cups shown on the trailer) as him.
However, you get all the thing except the cup and the gimmick is good IMO.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, dooblehorn wrote:

Uses similar method as Vino Sense, if you are familiar with that, so method is nothing new but works well, and super-easy to do.

Quote:

He stresses in included video that the gimmick supplied is preferable, your PK ring won't work so well.

Yes, I agree with both the above statements. The idea/method isn't new. A PK Ring isn't as effective and you will need the special detector to detect the Buddha quickly and efficiently.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thank you for the input.

One of the hardest things in magic is knowing whether you are purchasing something new or not, something that is going to improve your magic or go into a drawer to collect dust.

These posts were very helpful. It is now clear to me that this is not something new, but rather a less expensive version of something like Sixth Sense.

Still perhaps a good buy for someone, but now you know you are basically choosing between this more inexpensive, more limited capability tool or something more expensive with greater capabilities, like Sixth Sense.

KJ
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
61 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
I just turned 65 and have been doing Magic since I was 8 after taking out a book called More Fun With Magic from the Elementary School Liabrary. Since then, even as an adult, finding out how a "trick" works, especially if it is very simple and I paid a bit too much...gives this let down feeling.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I just bought myself a second one, it always pays to have at least 2 of what you use.

And yes, before I bought my first one several months ago, I knew exactly what I was getting, I have several other effects that work the same and have used them going back almost 20 years.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I just tried it with the Buddha from my Fantasma Chop cup - yep Good To Go! Plus I loved how the not to reveal but reveal was done by dooblehorn - funny and stupid at the same time.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1892 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, rklew64 wrote:
I just tried it with the Buddha from my Fantasma Chop cup - yep Good To Go! Plus I loved how the not to reveal but reveal was done by dooblehorn - funny and stupid at the same time.

Did not mention anything that was not already mentioned in this thread...oh, and don't refer to thread comments as stupid, makes you look stupid
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
57 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
Gentleman - there is not only fishing go round, but out & out 'exposure' & I am seriously disappointed that yelling out that the trick 'works with a magnetic' gimmick; i.e. Quote:
"He stresses in included video that the gimmick supplied is preferable, your PK ring won't work so well."

academy writes:
"This is a very old effect by Mr Vallarino. I bought it many years ago. I don't know if this is the same version or an update. What I have is a special statue and a special ring to "detect" the buddha. Never used it because you need to stay at a very close distance from the buddha to detect it. Of course you can buy more high tech detectors available on the market and use one of them instead of the one provided."

Vallarino is known for his incredible hand-speed and skill, so give the man a break & respect . . . but I would say that it's too late.
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1221 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Juno Temple wrote:
Gentleman - there is not only fishing go round, but out & out 'exposure' & I am seriously disappointed that yelling out that the trick 'works with a magnetic' gimmick; i.e. Quote:
"He stresses in included video that the gimmick supplied is preferable, your PK ring won't work so well."

academy writes:
"This is a very old effect by Mr Vallarino. I bought it many years ago. I don't know if this is the same version or an update. What I have is a special statue and a special ring to "detect" the buddha. Never used it because you need to stay at a very close distance from the buddha to detect it. Of course you can buy more high tech detectors available on the market and use one of them instead of the one provided."

Vallarino is known for his incredible hand-speed and skill, so give the man a break & respect . . . but I would say that it's too late.

Why bother opening a two year old thread just for that comment
Still you got your 50 posts
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
5 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
When I was presenting this recently one annoying (!) SPEC kept staring at my hands in a way that I had to keep them a bit higher from the cups that were also very close together. It made the effect a bit cumbersome. I came up with a presentation that also allows for an out. I put numbers (say 1-20) on the top of the cups, and the name of different playing cards on the inside of the cup. Earlier In the set I had asked for a "volunteer" and pretended to mess with an invisible deck that I set aside "for later". After I find the buddha I ask them to look at the inside of the cup and do the invisible deck reveal. If I happen to have the cup wrong I can rescue the effect with a "poor magician got it wrong..... but actually I was right all along!" reveal. As a bonus a spectator will often say "But you have written the K of hearts (example) on the inside of every cup" - and you get to show that each has a different card written inside. I also feel that prolonging the effect takes some heat of a possibly obvious method for buddha location.
Hope this may be of use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Buddha by Jean Pierre Vallarino (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL