The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Building the Beginnings of a Career (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
He means use the money you earn to pay for the expansion.

That's the first part.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
SilasJude,

This may be just what you're looking for:
http://dennymagic.com/store/denny-and-lee-lecture-notes.html
It is written by someone that has done exactly what you want to do. And Denny is one of the good ones. His advice is straight from the trenches.

Be careful of anonymous sources selling programs and courses, especially when they have no experience in performing magic, let alone in restaurants, stage shows, weddings, etc.
The Magic Café is about magicians HELPING magicians, and there's plenty of full time pros here that will give you various points of view.
Though I've enjoyed 43 years as a full time entertainer, (and the last 25 years as a full time magician), I still read and heed the advice from Robert Smith, Danny Doyle or Josh London, among many other magicians here.

Regarding close-up magic, I suggest starting with 10 effects you know really well and can perform with your eyes closed among a myriad of distractions.
Also, a tip that I've never seen in print, is to at least know what your opening line is for each effect. Have it down, memorized, and ready to lead your audience into their journey.

Enjoy YOUR journey.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, Keith Raygor wrote:
SilasJude,

This may be just what you're looking for:
http://dennymagic.com/store/denny-and-lee-lecture-notes.html
It is written by someone that has done exactly what you want to do. And Denny is one of the good ones. His advice is straight from the trenches.

Be careful of anonymous sources selling programs and courses, especially when they have no experience in performing magic, let alone in restaurants, stage shows, weddings, etc.
The Magic Café is about magicians HELPING magicians, and there's plenty of full time pros here that will give you various points of view.
Though I've enjoyed 43 years as a full time entertainer, (and the last 25 years as a full time magician), I still read and heed the advice from Robert Smith, Danny Doyle or Josh London, among many other magicians here.

Regarding close-up magic, I suggest starting with 10 effects you know really well and can perform with your eyes closed among a myriad of distractions.
Also, a tip that I've never seen in print, is to at least know what your opening line is for each effect. Have it down, memorized, and ready to lead your audience into their journey.

Enjoy YOUR journey.

Hey Keith, I know it's a bit of a hike, but I'll be at Sarasota County Fair in March with Conjurer. Thanks for your words buddy.

I second the "course" gurus.

I'll give all of my knowledge away for free. Just ask.

-Robert
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always spoken against the courses. Never been a fan of many of them. There are exceptions but generally not a fan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have always spoken against the courses. Never been a fan of many of them. There are exceptions but generally not a fan.

I bought a course once from a "successful magician," who now wanted to share those "million dollar" secrets.

Turns out he'd only ever done like 30 shows.

I've now successfully been navigating the fairs market since 2009. I've learned a crp load. I know things. I'll share whatever I can.

-Robert
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The true irony of many courses is they are put out often by those having trouble finding work.

Not all of them, but many.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi SilasJude -

Here are a couple of previous threads where some courses are mentioned with positive reviews:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

They may or may not be of interest to you.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Silas - welcome to Tricky Business! One of the best ways to grow at he start is to continue to engage here, and elsewhere on TMC. Ask questions and become better at doing so by taking what you learn and asking more specific and directed questions. You will begin to see responses and determine those answers that offer you the greatest value. I found initially, that the best responses I received were the hardest to hear.

Courses- I purchased a few early on and while they were written from a narrow perspective (what the person did to create their own success), they were a helpful step in gaining momentum. I took some of what was offfered that applied to my capabilities and business model, then ignored the rest that did not play to my strengths. As others pointed out above, consider the source of such services. One thing I will add is that many successful performers are not necessarily great teachers and may not be able to offer advice outside their narrow and specific circumstances or vision of success.

There have been many who have offered sound advice here in the years I have participated. Most bounce in for a while -a few years, then leave or come back spiratically. Mindpro and Danny have been by far the most consistent posters and offer sound advice. Danny generally offers many quick takes and Mindpro offers in depth ones.

Once you have spent some time exploring your opportunities, I would suggest you seek personal coaching to steepen your learning curve. I recommended Mindpro to my brother -who wishes to pursue entertainment full time - and he has shown tremendous progress under his guidance.

Best of luck to you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
SilasJude, to help start you out, you should be using your present position at the place you are performing. Get some table tents printed and at the bottom in small print put Gratuities Accepted. This will increase your $12.50 income. Next if you have the opportunity converse with the customers as to there visiting the place you are working. On vacation, regular visitor, what do they do for a living, etc. The let them know that you also so private parties or get together. If you have a business cards, offer them one and get one from them or get their contact information. When you get home, send them an email, how nice it was to met them.

As you build your contact list, this can be on way to get into making Magic performance a career.

I know nothing about Buffalo's economy, but here in the mid-west close up magicians charge $50 to $75 an hour for restaurant work.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, I recently did some research into the current Buffalo and surrounding areas economy for a coaching client I'm working with and it is a strong, decent market. Should be no problem getting established as you may not have to face some of the concerns in other, more out of the way areas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Building the Beginnings of a Career (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL