The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giobbi Books Overlap? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
143 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Kind of a noob question, so I'll post it here. I've been thinking about getting a copy of Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic, although I'm planning to get at least the first couple of volumes of Card College later this year.

My question is, how much overlap is there between the material in the Introduction book and the V1&2 Card College material?

If it's all covered in Card College, I may forgo the Intro text all together.
Regards,
Eric
ruediger
View Profile
New user
germany/black forest
53 Posts

Profile of ruediger
IIRC - there is a huge overlap...but on the other hand, it's a inexpensive start on your journey into card magic. I can't find my copy (way toooo much books...e-books...dvds on my shelf...)...so this comes all out of my memory...

But since you are planning to buy CC, it is not necessary to buy the introduction...
Funny enough...i bought my copy just to own it...years after buying CC...
regards

ruediger meier
--
no sig at all
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
143 Posts

Profile of cosermann
You're right that it's inexpensive, and I'm willing to get it if there's some unique content. Just trying to set my expectations.
Regards,
Eric
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I am just starting with ITCM and CC. I have read the intro and 1, 1/2 chapters in card college. There is a lot of overlap between the two, yet the intro hits on a lot of points that you don't even see till card college 2. It's a more in depth intro to card conjuring IMHO. Both should be studied I feel but do intro first. Then read the first two chapters or card college. That will give you a total of 8 tricks. How to structure them into routines and with all that you will have multiple ways to do each trick. So you can really make it personal to you.

Keep in mind this is all said from the perspective of literally a blind beginner. I am still studying various overhand shuffles using intro, card college, royal road, and expert at the card table. I feel having the different representations helps.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Eric,

I don't have Giobbi's Intro to Card Magic, but do have Card College and highly recommend them. Given that others have said there is overlap, might I suggest Card College Light? (Not Lighter or Lightest). It is a good complement to the CC series - self working and laid out in a manner that will convince others that it isn't self working, but incredible magic!

Good luck with your studies!

Hudson
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, 55Hudson wrote:
Eric,

I don't have Giobbi's Intro to Card Magic, but do have Card College and highly recommend them. Given that others have said there is overlap, might I suggest Card College Light? (Not Lighter or Lightest). It is a good complement to the CC series - self working and laid out in a manner that will convince others that it isn't self working, but incredible magic!

Good luck with your studies!

Hudson

Everywhere I try to find CCL it is sold out. Is it out of print at the moment?
ruediger
View Profile
New user
germany/black forest
53 Posts

Profile of ruediger
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, 55Hudson wrote:
[..] Given that others have said there is overlap, might I suggest Card College Light? (Not Lighter or Lightest). [..]

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, BlindWizard wrote:Everywhere I try to find CCL it is sold out. Is it out of print at the moment?

At least here -> http://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/produc......e-light/ you can still order it
regards

ruediger meier
--
no sig at all
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
There is overlap in the techniques and theory sections and this is obvious since they are both courses that are supposed to start from the beginning. He actually took parts from CC, revised them and put them in ITCM.

The tricks shown in CC and in ITCM are all different. No overlap there.

So if you're really starting now, I don't see why you couldn't have both. If, instead, you prefer picking only one option, then go for Card College 1& 2. No doubt.

Mark
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
143 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I've been a hobbyist for, oh my, going on 30 years, but have just picked here and there in RRTCM and other places when it comes to cards. So, what I'm really looking to do is hit the reset button on cards, go back to the fundamentals, and work through it from the beginning in a more methodical way.

If the tricks in CC and ITCM are all different, ITCM certainly sounds like it's worth the modest price even for someone planning to purchase Roberto's other books.

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments!
Regards,
Eric
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Sorry!
I checked a little better: there is one trick, called A Phenomenal Memory" which is in both books.

If you are buying ITCM just for the tricks, don't expect miracles of card magic! Although there a few (Belchou Aces Revisited is the best of the lot) that are good for a person who has just started approaching this branch of magic. And Giobbi organises them in a little sequences-routines in the effort of trying to explain how and why it's always better to think about little shows rather than single tricks. But if you've read RRTTCM you already know that Smile

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giobbi Books Overlap? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL