We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Metal Thumb Tip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Does anyone know where I might get a metal thumb tip (for fire illusions, ie. cigarettes)?

Thanks,

HLT
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
86 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
There are always a few listed on ebay. Search "Cigarette through Handkerchief". I am a newer member, but this forum seems to prefer that you not type the gimmick name if it gives away the secret. Most would prefer you asking about a metal TT. It is surprising how quickly you begin to learn all the code names after browsing the site for awhile.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Could you not get away with putting metal foil inside a regular TT?
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc, I don't think the foil would work. The typical thumb tip is rubber. As foil is very thin, the heat, even for an instance, might damage the tip. Of course, I am not speaking from experience--maybe multiple layers of foil would work?

Thanks again.

HLT
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Tim,

You are right. Just went to Ebay--there were several entries to select from, with vintage tips from the 1950s.

I got two tips--one large and one small--for about $17.00, including S&H. They came together.

Thanks,

HLT
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
86 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I was searching the forum for some info on Ross Bertram when I came across an old thread about using a non metal tt for cigarettes. You may find some good info here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......22150#11
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
The conversation about metal TTs comes up now again here and the consensus is that a standard vernet or silicone TT with foil or a piece of damp tissue works just fine....in fact, a vernet will handle a cig without either, but the end of it gets blackened inside, hence the inserts.

That said, ebay is probably your best bet since I don't think they are being made right now.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had a handful of old metal TTs (even a "set", sold by my late friend, Ken Allen.) A couple of months ago, in a "fit" of "cleaning out" a trunk, I gave them to a young lad whom I am mentoring! (Now, HE must find a way to store them!

In recent months, I've shipped several boxes of books, lecture notes and props to him. --His mother will probably "kill" me, if she gets the opportunity!

He wrote that he is "sleeping, standing up, in his clothes closet" because of my disposing of "sams" ("flot" & "jet"). I suggested that he get a strong wall hook installed, and a set of tough pajamas that can be 'impaled' on the hook!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22514 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I purchased P & L metal Thumb Tips and finger tips from Ron Allesi used magic dealer for $15.00 each. He has changed his website to an auction website in the last year or so. These were in mint condition, just like new.

http://internationalmagicauction.com/

If they are not on the auction site, I suggest you contact ron@ronallesimagic.com and see if he will sell you a TT. He had box of them.

I used the Café search engine because I forgot Ron Allesi name, it works very well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22514 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Found some metal TT's you will have to most likely repaint them with Testor's Sand spray paint, and maybe make some adjustments. But they are the only metal TT's I know of being made today.

http://magicgoods.com/products/thumb-tip-copper
zachwyman
View Profile
New user
Maryland
51 Posts

Profile of zachwyman
Thanks for the idea, I've never heard of a metal thumb tip until reading this thread. There could be a lot of possibilities with one.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
More possibilities than you can begin to imagine!

Denny & Lee's Magic Shop is located in a suburb of Baltimore. If you are anywhere near, you would enjoy a visit. Denny's is one of the very few "B&M" (Brick & Mortar) shops left! Tell Denny that I sent you. He will treat you right!

He might even have a metal TT in stock!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3387 Posts

Profile of Julie
I have listed vintage metal tt's in the "for sale" section, if you are in need... Smile

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I would suggest that you seize the opportunity !!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Metal Thumb Tip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL