We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where do you buy props and supplies (not a magic shop) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I found that I am always on the lookout for various supplies for my magic addiction.
Some of the places I visit are:

Home Depot / Lowes - toolboxes, tools, various needs.
Thrift Shop - cases, scarves, wallets, glasses, etc.
Fabric Store
Coin shop - Centavos, English pennies, magnetic coins, etc
Local Bank - half dollar coins, $2 bills, sequential bills, etc.
Craft stores - Hobby Lobby, Michaels, AC Moore, etc
Staples - rubber bands, paper, glue, etc.
Antique stores - Looking for surprises.
Auction houses
Walmart -

Sometimes I know what I am looking for and other times I just browse and find surprises.

Did I miss anything?
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Oh yes. A Dollar Store.
Ihor
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
I would add Ebay--lots of fun toys, some vintage!

HLT
Dr. O
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
272 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Etsy.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Amazon, you can find just about anything.....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
St. Vincent de Paul THRIFT SHOPS

I've found RICE silks, a "like new" Morrissey Double Load Dove Pan (worth about $60.00) I paid $1.00, an Abbott "Tubes of Buddha" (value, well over $100.00) I paid $1.00, a MAK Magic Phantom Tube (worth about$50.00) I paid $1.00, RICE SILK Streamer (worth about $25.00) I paid %1.00, and, MANY "like new" polyester "silks" (good for the "Slydini Knots") I paid $1.00 to $2.00.

Also, I've found various GOOD MAGIC BOOKS (worth as much as $30 to $40.00)for a dollar or two. e.g. TARBELL VOLUME ONE with dust jacket (worth about $20.00) I paid $2.00.

Waiters' Tray Stands, chrome plated, "Catalog" cases, salesmen's sample cases, etc. for a buck or two.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
86 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
St. Vincent de Paul THRIFT SHOPS

I've found RICE silks, a "like new" Morrissey Double Load Dove Pan (worth about $60.00) I paid $1.00, an Abbott "Tubes of Buddha" (value, well over $100.00) I paid $1.00, a MAK Magic Phantom Tube (worth about$50.00) I paid $1.00, RICE SILK Streamer (worth about $25.00) I paid %1.00, and, MANY "like new" polyester "silks" (good for the "Slydini Knots") I paid $1.00 to $2.00.

I am guessing that this was at thrift stores around the country as you were performing, or did you find these treasures at your local thrift stores?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Tim!

Yup! It does help to be a roadie!

I found a few items here in my home town, where I'm happily retired, but, all over the USA, I would check out the "locals". I was partial to stores that were associated with churches. (I felt my money was going to good causes.) I collect fictional books with magic in the plot (also carnival and circus novels and historical books related to carnival, and circus. Of course, props were always of interest. In California, I picked up an antique wooden mortar & pestle, used for the watch in the loaf of bread, or other impossible place. My pal Jim Jayes, found a complete Welsh Rarebit pan (in the "housewares department".)

Jay Marshall and I had a "route" of thrift shops in Chicago1
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.!

I sold the dove pan, and phantom tube, gave away the Tubes of Buddha, and many of the "Silkini" silks. (The joy is in the hunting!)

I remember that, at one time, I owned (thanks to thrift shops) a suitcase full of Dan Mannix's "Step Right Up", a bunch of Paul Gallico's "The Man Who Was Magic" and "Too Many Ghosts", and Sid Fleischman's "Mr. Mysterious & Co.".
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
A coin shop is a good resource for picking up certain items.
I was once a coin collector and visited the coin shop I used to frequent many years ago.
He gave me some Centavos and English pennies, gratis.
I bought some plastic coin tubes (web spinner) and miniature coins and steel coins.

Also I go to my local bank every week. They save Kennedy Half dollar coins for me.
The cool thing is that sometimes I find silver Kennedys.
Some of the others I try to match years and condition so it looks the same. Then I spend the rest.
It's also a good place to get $2 bills and sequential singles.

Next to my bank there's a thrift shop the size of a large supermarket. A treasure trove.
Ihor
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1152 Posts

Profile of imgic
Estate sales. Also have craigslist alerts set up for magic items in the towns I travel to.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where do you buy props and supplies (not a magic shop) (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL