The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Discovering the Siberian Chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Well, I was interested in learning the Siberian Chain and since I'm home (not in LA) for spring break the hardware store was closer than a magic shop. So I experimented. With some chain, a padlock and 2 steel rings I made my own Siberian Chain.

First of all, I was not trying to avoid paying for a premade chain and instructions on how to do the escape. I mean I DID make my own and pay money for the materials. I wanted to get the experience and satisfaction of discovering the method to what I perceived was a very simple escape.

I uncovered a method but I'm afraid it might not be "correct"

Should I care if the method I uncovered is correct or should I assume it is and enjoy it?

If you care to answer my more specific questions please PM me. I will not ask for the traditional method, rather, I will just describe how I have gotten the chain off and you can tell me "sounds good," or "keep trying"

Please do not rain on my parade by saying "Just go buy a cheap chain with instructions and learn the secret man..."

I AM HAVING FUN! Even if my idea of fun is experimenting with some ugly chain and a lock, that's my own business.

I'd rather experiment on something like this, it's my "tinkering" personality, even if the escape IS dirt simple. Hopefully I'll exhaust my creativity before breaking down and purchasing a chain escape book.

I thank you in advance for your interest

Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hey Brad,

If what you have come up with works for you then you must decide if you really want to know the real secret, will knowing it actually change anything or change the method in which you do it? Please do not take my words out of context, I am whole heartedly congratulating you.

The chain has been around a long time and many different methods are available beyond the standard norm.

Glad you made your own, when I saw the ones that are sold by "Fun Inc." I almost fell down laughing. Making your own and coming up with your own method (wheather the actual one or not) gets you on your way to making the escape "yours."

If you are REALLY dieing to know the norm method please PM me and I'll walk you throuh it if you are willing to share your method in exchange (I won't use it but I collect info like that.) Cheers and again congrats.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Ok...I figure two ways of connecting are similar, easy and fast release.

But...if I'm locked up in another way that looks much like the other two methods...there's no way out. Bet that's handy.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
In the standard method there are two ways I know of that will not allow for release, this is so you can put it on a spectator first and let them try.

In using that ploy you need to be very fast in putting it on yourself so no one catches the "extra bit"

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Whatever the method to attach to the spectator, I noticed the reason you can't escape is because the lock secures a single loop of chain around your wrists sufficiently tight that escape in't posible.

Whereas, the escape methods involve slack.

I might not have discovered all the combinations yet, but it is interesting.

Brad

I just tried some methods.

The two non-escape lockups for me involve...

the final locking of the lock (IE an issue with longer chains)

or

turning the chain in a different direction after passing through the 2nd hoop.

I see the first as way more deceptive as it looks innocent up until the locking, but it might be a problem if someone accidentally does it while locking ME up.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The U.F.Grant and Abbotts manuscripts have a few non siberian chain ties in them to play with when you get tired of that one. Both can be had for a couple dollars. Just chunks of chain, no rings and borrowed locks.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-03-30 03:05, BradleyNott wrote:

I uncovered a method but I'm afraid it might not be "correct"

Should I care if the method I uncovered is correct or should I assume it is and enjoy it?

Hi Brad

What is "correct"? If it works and it fools then well done and stick with it. You may find when you check out the books that you've re-invented the wheel, but till then you'll have a great time and learn a lot!

regards

Riley
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I also made my first siberian chain at home. Though I found the technique for escape in the september 2003 issue of Genii. I say if your method works for you .....go for it. Also I am glad to see that you are experimenting with posible new ways to perform an older trick. As for the manufacturing when I was just starting out as a locksmith getting materials were difficult and if I was able to find a place that would sell them the materials were often expensive for inferior product so I started making my own. I can't imagine that magic materials should be this way but then again.....
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I think the siberian chain escape is excellent as a "underwater escape" as it's very safe, and very fast. You can even use it in conjunction with brige jumpers, and bridge jumpers leg shackels. It just "adds
" to it. I've done it that way. Yes you need to practise, but the siberian chain escape is fast, and PERFECT for uderwater escapes. Ed, (Eddini).

P.S. Using thumbcuffs in conjunction is good as well.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I agree that usually it is a fast/easy escape. At a senior citizen's center a couple of years ago I was doing the siberian chain escape and asked two men to help me into the locks and chains. Turns out they were LOGGERS and knew how to get every bit of slack out of a chain! Not only that but they actually locked my skin in the padlock! I was willing to tear the skin but couldn't. I had to admit defeat and ask that they redo the lock. I then proceeded to get out but it was a bit lack-lustor after that. I was thankful it wasn't an underwater escape that time. Smile Live and learn I guess.
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
So I personally found this escape in an old book called "succesful conjuring"- I looked through my closet and foundan old dog leash that I thought I could try it out with. I perform it now with the only addition being a padlock in addition to the clip. When I practiced this with my partner I found only one wy to REALLY secure it making the escape impossible w/o the key (ah those boy scout knots).
As far as the right way-I can barely remeber the book b/c I've completely adapted what I do for this chain. For a long time I felt the need to hide before escaping since it was so easy-now I just act a little more. Smile
drink water...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Discovering the Siberian Chain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL