We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Club Card Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Here is one of my latest routines. Video was shot at the comedy club. Hope you like it. https://youtu.be/S_yX4NjWg54

Bairefoot
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The audience like you and your timing is good. I found the plot a bit confusing.
I always prefer to try and write a new premise for stuff like this rather than add jokes to an old one. Good job though it went down well.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks.

Bairefoot
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of philraso
I never liked 6 card repeat. Saw your newspaper T&R - very nice job.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thank you fellows.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I know in the past you have posted asking for criticism so I am assuming that you are doing the same here. If that is not the case let me know and I will ask for this post to be removed.

Just a couple of things regarding the magic element of the effect. Taking the cards out from the case and then weaving them together doesn't help the illusion of there only being 6 cards to start with. In fact it makes it look like you have way more than 6 cards. This isn't an ideal situation to be setting up in your audience's mind just before you start the trick.

Added to this, your handling of the move for showing the cards as 6 is... a bit closed and not entirely handled like the others. The end result of these points is that the robustness of the magic gets somewhat undermined. For a comedy act you may feel, that doesn't matter. But I always think the stronger and more robust you make the magic the more sound a foundation there is for the comedy.

The audience liked you and the jokes you were delivering.

The routining of the effect, while it works, doesn't quite work in the most ideal way though. Your false ending to the effect wasn't topped with a kicker and consequently the routine as it's currently structured feels like it drops off at the end.

But all that aside well done well done, they sounded like they were really enjoying you.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks Sealegs. Everything is a work in process. I will look at what you are saying. Thanks again. They funny thing about this routine is that the people always say where do all those cards come from just like in my card manipulation act. By the way I also put my things out there thinking that some magicians might want to hire me for their rings and learn how to make money at doing magic. And you for people like you who want to help.

Bairefoot
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
One more thing Sealegs whats your website?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I'm not suggesting that the count and what leads up to it doesn't produce the end result for you. When the comedy is hitting an audience's guard is down and most things will sail by without a thought or any scrutiny. But on those nights where the audence doesn't instantly warn to you, and you have to really work to make them like you and care about what you are doing, a really robust technique, that will be under a lot more scrutiny, can act as a much better foundation to work from than a less robust technique.

To my mind a comedy magic act best serves them self and their audience by making the magic and the comedy both as good as they can be.

Re my website; it genuinely isn't worth the visit. I put it together in about 15 min and iIt only exists to provide some kind of web presence that directs anyone trying to find me to my agent.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I agree with everything you said. Thanks. I have always had very strong misdirection and that helps with technique. Thanks again.

Bairefoot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Club Card Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL