The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
To complete, I just received email from Illusion systems, that the Vol 3 of Classic Illusion has not been yet written Smile
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
On 2005-03-16 14:39, GuySavoie wrote:

Good first metalworking projects include: sword making (make a straight Katana style sword for under $10 in less than 20 minutes!)

--- Guy

Guy, please expand on this, as my swords take me about an hour each to make. I use aluminum for the blades and clear lucite for the handles. thanks for the help
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
stringsleights
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of stringsleights
Has Anyone built Osborne's "Blueprinted" illusion (or similar illusions utilizing the same method)? If so, what dimensions did you use on the couple of quarter inch thick gizmos inside? Are they to be simply the same size as the doors of the box? I'd like to avoid having to waste money on gizmos of the wrong size.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I just ordered Osbourne's Big Black Book in soft cover. I was wondering, though-how legible are the plans? Will I have any problems reading measurements or determining what hardware to use?

Oh- chill, an incredibly quick way to make steel stage swords (i.e. not sharp, but look and sound good in a stage fight) is to use 1/8" or 1/4" strip steel, chop it to the desired length, and cut the end to a point using a miter saw with a grinding/cutting blade. Cut the steel about 5-6" longer than needed to accommodate your handle (or 12" or more for a 2-handed version.) You've got two options for the handle- Option 1 is to just wrap it in black tape; quick and dirty, it's great for when you need a ton of these (such as for a sword box.) Option two is to cut a closet rod or other thick dowel to the proper length, then cut it in half. Drill holes through both halves and the steel, then bolt all three together with the steel in the center. All that's left is to polish the steel to a shine. There's your fast blades. They are heavy, though- practice like crazy if you're using them for stage combat, because they can do damage if they hit you.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
I have several of Osborne's plans, and find them legible and clear. However, I have a background in detailed modeling, so I had no problem interpreting them. I also have one of his books on illusions, (not his black book) and although not as detailed as his plans, he does include dimensions and illustrations that I think anyone with some construction ability would be able to build them. Osborne covers so many illusions, and each one can be custom built to their own specs.
IndyProillusions
View Profile
New user
Waveland, IN
19 Posts

Profile of IndyProillusions
Wow, You guys are full of information. Maybe I can add a little advice. I built the Asrah base and was shopping around for the form, because building the form from the plans seem a bit impossible. I finally came up with the idea of using chicken wire. I know it sounds crazy, but it's light and made of fine wire. I borrowed a mannikin from a friends dress shop, and you wouldn't believe how well chicken wire forms! Sure it doesn't fold like the expensive ones, but with a little bit of flat black paint and the right lighting, the effect is great. I spent more on the rigging than I did on the form!
"the boundries of reality can always be broken."
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The problem with chicken wire.. as you'll find out.. is that it will snag your cloth every chance it gets.. and the formability is also your UNdoing.. it's too soft.

Real asrah forms are made from heavy piano wire... sure it's a pain.. and hard to deal with. but the seams and edges are SMOOOOOTH...
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Can anybody describe the effect of "Blueprinted" in Paul's "Easy to build Illusions" book? I'm curious as to what it is...the name is intriguing me.

Thanks
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Michael,

The magician claims that he invented a weight lose machine. An audience member invited on the stage who lay down on a table. Then the middle body get covered with a box. The box has a top and a front door. The magician open the top door and produce fake foods such as rubber chicken rubber eggs etc. Then open the front door and she lose weight actually the whole middle disappear.

Best,

Las
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Thanks Las,

It's nothing like I thought.....LOL

I appreciate the info.

Your fellow Canuck,
Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
sier5
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of sier5
Does anyone know how much it will cost to build the aga levitation, and can someone explain how to build a sword. Thank You

Nathan
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
It's way easier.. and cheaper to buy your swords..

as for an aga.. there are so many ways to build it that your quesiton can't be answered.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Nathan,

Osborne's sword suspension explains the sword.

Osborne Has aga levitations plans.

There is a book on the Ashra.
Dennis Michael
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have a lot of osbourne plans but I have to say his "smoke chamber" plans leave ALOT to be desired. No measurements, no info, just a nicely drawn picture of the thing. Skypoint, maybe your background gives you an advantage over those of us who need more help or info, would you agree? I have no background in models so his plans leave a lot to be desired from my point of view.

For 25.00$ I think I'd like some measurements or additional info. I mean it was just an exposed view of the chamber shown in the ad without the exposed view.
This I could have figured out without the 25.00$ "blueprints".

The exposed view just shows someone hiding in the base. This was not very helpful
at all. I was really dissapointed in these plans.

I would say I am an intermediate builder, but even for an expert, building the smoke chamber from these plans would be a huge challenge with no measuerments or
more detailed drawings. I ended up just using it for inspiration but I'm not sure it was worth the 25.00$ Actually I don't think these plans are worth a dime since
they are little or no help on how to actually build the thing as he shows it.

I have never seen a smoke chamber base in real life that looks even close to the base in these plans. It was like nice idea but forget actually building it to scale since no measurements were supplied, no details that would allow you to build the base as it was pictured. This is unfortunate because the base he shows
in his plans looks so much better than most flat boring smoke chamber bases I have seen in real life and performance.

He should have broken it down, shown you the MANY components or parts that make up the base and provided measurements. Had he taken the time to give you more detailed exploded views, it would have been much more helpful. I think a lot of his plans are like this. Good for inspiration and ideas, but forget buying the plans and building the thing as the plans show.

Its a tough thing, figuring out how to deceptively hide a person in this base, and I don't think he ever built one himself, and if he did, he kept the methods and details of this high tech and great looking base largely to himself, something that's not right if your selling people a "how to" guide to building it.

Many of his other plans are shown to scale and include measurements and more detailed info. Still, I love his drawings and they are very inspirational and informative as to how to go about it. I get pumped up just looking at them, and so maybe that alone IS worth the money. How much does it cost to inspire you to take
your tools out and BUILD a grand illusion? I guess in hindsight I got my 25.00$ worth because I did get inspired and motivated enough to actually build a smoke
chamber. that's a prop some sell for 5,000$ or more that I built for a few hundred bucks and some time, and even though my base is different, it still looks *** good and works great.

I guess I'm torn. I mean I can look at most illusions and figure out the method.
If I am paying money for the plans, I'd like more details. Many of his plans just
artistically reveal the method to you and leave you on your own as to how to
actually build it and make it work.

Maybe I should just visit my friend above me there...Dennis's library, he has all those great big books full of osbourne plans and others that will make you feel like peeing your pants from excitement. I can't hang out in his magic room for fear of peeing in my pants. Dennis has the best library on magic and illusions I've ever seen in my life. I'd really move into his house if he'd let me Smile

That kind of inspiration really is priceless, I suppose. I'd say you should find a friend like Dennis,who already has the plans for something you want to build.
Look them over. If you can actually use them, buy them and give the designer his
well deserved couple of bucks, if not, look elsewhere until you can find plans you can actually follow.

I will say, when I decided to do a sawing illusion piece, I used ALL his plans for ideas and inspiration, but then went in some radical directions. Still, the methods shown for his thin model sawings and buzz saw illusions helped me with ideas and inspiration.

If you need ideas and inspiration I'm all for his plans, but if you actually want
plans to build a specific piece you may have to look elsewhere also. Maybe I'm just not a good enough builder yet, but I think others have had the same problems when trying to work from his "plans".

Osbourne plans alone I don't think can really get the job done, but this is just my own opinion and experience, having built many illusions so far. I say they are good starting points towards your intended goal. Again, this is just one man's opinion.

Steven
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Steven,

All of Osbourne's plans are drawn using an architect's scale, so the measurements are there, just not written out plainly. At any rate, since most illusions should be custom built to fit the assistant, any measurements supplied would need to be modified. (I'm guessing my 6'0" 200lbs body would have a tough time using a smoke chamber built for a 5'5" 160lbs performer. This is why so many of us recommend building a mockup out of cardboard first.)

And- like you said, the plans themselves are inspiring. I'm planning on picking up some new blueprints, just to give me a springboard for my own ideas. I'd rather figure out materials and cutting information myself, anyway- those will vary depending on measurements, and I could probably add some improvements that will suit my style. I find it nice to have plans to work from, though- it gives me a reality check- as in, "Yes, I'm not the only one who thinks this idea will work..."

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicianessmagic
View Profile
New user
Magicianess Magic
6 Posts

Profile of magicianessmagic
And from the other side of the world, thankyou Dennis you truly are amazing!!
ldwarf
View Profile
New user
RI
6 Posts

Profile of ldwarf
Hi Folks..
.. just a little shameless self promotion here..
.. I have just listed one of the last remaining sets of plans for my Disembodied Head illusion on E-bay. Item number: 150296277057

The Illusion is a classic, the plans are *** good, practical, easy to follow, what more could you ask for. Please checkout the listing, and pass this information along to anyone who might be interested in this modern interpretation of a classic.

be well,
Scott
a.k.a Prof. Badger
EightCornerGlobe.com
Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between the creative magic Bryce's Screens and the ones that would be built using Paul Osborne plans?
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Wanted plans for a dove tray / balloon to dove tray. I live in uk.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
There has just been added plans for the spiker on the osborne website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL