The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
To keep the straightedge from sliding, simply tape it to the cardboard with masking tape or, preferably, painter's tape. Since it's just a mock-up, you're not really worried about whether the tape tears off a bit of the surface.

You could also put a thin layer of rubber cement on the back of the straightedge and let it dry. This would provide a non-slip coating, and it is easily removable.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Osborne now has the Harbin Table plans in a set of three table plans, with a rolon table and a thayer table.
http://hamiltonholtinc.site.yahoo.net/worgreatmagt.html is the link for the tables
J Sleight
View Profile
New user
Western Australia
10 Posts

Profile of J Sleight
If you are looking for a longer strait edge why not get some square tube pipe (which can be as long as a full sheet of wood)and make up a small wooden block with a trimmer blade attatched at the depth of your cardboard (easy to make an adjustable one)and a handle so you can run it along the side of the pipe. Shop fitting suppliers have pipe that does not have rounded corners if you don't like the block idea. A tiny rectangle of double sided tape at each end will stop it moving on cardboard. If you want a long strait edge that will last a lifetime you can make one out of hard wood ( mine is Austrailian jarra ) about 3 inches by 4 inches and the weight alone will hold it in place. Especially if your put the cardboard on the floor and kneel on the wooden strait edge at the time ;-). James
World Class Entertainment
http://www.wcentertainment.com
The touch of an artist, like the birth of a child can be a moment that lasts a lifetime.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Anybody know where I can get the plans to windshear? (Walking through a fan) or where to purchase one from (at a cheap price!)

Stephen Able
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
Stephen, I think Jim Steinmeyer is the creator of this one, and I think Bill Smith is the authorized builder. I do know it's big and expensive!

Check it out here- http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Stephen Able,

Andrew Mayne has this effect in his SOLO X book. Its cheap to make and not bad of an illusion. I plan on building it and add my own flare.

-Seeker
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Tim Clothier's new book offers an excellent wealth of information concerning building cardboard mock-ups!

-Bryan Gilles
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Just browsing the osborne site again and he has released some new plans (several of which are on my next purchase list).

Fire Cage
The knife board
Morrit Cage
Seeing Through a Woman
Startling Vanish of a Girl in Mid-air (I think this is the longest name for an illusion I have heard)

I have picked up a couple of the newer plans, I think they are even better quality than those of the 70's-80's with reliable updates.
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
What is the morrit cage?
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
Joe,

From Osborne's site http://www.osborneillusionsystems.com/ (click "Plans", scroll down to "Morrit Cage" and click there)...

"A handsome cage rests within a large opened cabinet. There is a close fitting curtain all around the cage which raises or lowers by means of a cord at the side, leaving all parts of the outer cabinet fully exposed to view at all times. Nevertheless, ..."

Regards,
Gene
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
190 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Re the Morrit Cage...read up in Hiding The Elephant. A good read.

Scott
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Thanks for the Link !!

David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Where can I find the best plans to build DeKolta Chair and matching Deceptive Base. Or do I just use the Osborne Chair Plans and put in on a base? The Osborne plans say it needs a trap door.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
You don't necessarily need a trap door. A good base is actually more deceptive and fortunately still a very well guarded Illusion secret. There is a Copperfield special where he performs it exactly like that. I think it's called 'After the Show' or similar. This way the audience can look right under the table when it happens. Important though is to match the props with the settings. For example if you have a nice Maplewood De'Kolta Chair you want kind of a matching Table-Base with it like you would furnish your home. Smile
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2007-01-12 02:55, RSD wrote:
Where can I find the best plans to build Dakolta Chair and matching Decpetive Base. Or do I just use the Osborne Chair Plans and put in on a base? The Osborne plans says it needs a trap door.

Osborne just meant that you need a way out like a trap door or a DB with a trapdoor or Spandex. I prefer trap door over Spandex because it tends to wear out fairly quick depending on how many times you will perform it. Hope that helps.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I have a question about having someone else build the illusion with plans I purchase. I am probably going to buy the black book, just makes sense. I am also interested in designing and building my own illusions. But for now I just don't have the proper tools to do a professional job.

If I hire a cabinet maker or go to a cabinet making shop, what precautions should I take, if any, to ensure I'm not compromising the rights to the illusion? Does it matter that someone else learns the "secrets" to the plans?

I'm wondering if a contract of "silence" is used in these cases, or if you have most of the work done, but not assembled so as to keep the secret from being revealed.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
Hello,

is it better to buy Haunted Illusion Book for the Easy build Guillotine or better to order the plan for the Easy build Guillotine ?

I mean .. if the plan is same as in the book or not and what is added to the plan ( $ 25 ).

Thank you
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
I would buy the book, The cost difference is marginal, and the other plans could inspire you to create and even better effect.
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The plans are the same plans.. the difference is the size. Paul's single plans are done on 24 x 36 paper.. in true blueprint fashion..

Paul and I have been friends for going on over 20 years.. and I converse regularly with his wife..

The one thing that I find sorely lacking on paul's plans are specifics.. Tips and tricks and things you need to specially pay attention to while building certain props. Also some hardware is very hard to find... Giving the original source would be nice.

Not neccessarily an actual store.. but what it was originally used for. Illusion hardwar hardly ever is actually custom made on the classic props..but often comes from unusal places like boat shops or restaraunt supplies or odd other niches.

Knowing what the hardware was originally used for would be a HUGE timesaver.

However.. since Paul isn't a carpenter.. he probably doesn't know... His background is in desgin and graphics..and he's REALLY good at that. Perhaps he needs a website that takes illusion woodworking tips from builders..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL