The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anthony Robbins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zenmistress
View Profile
New user
London
34 Posts

Profile of zenmistress
Hi all,

Magic interests aside, I am currently in a very intensive course of training to become a Life Coach, here in London. A friend attended an Anthony Robbins weekend here in town last week, and has recommended it - but I'd like to hear of any more experiences with 'The Master of Coaches' before I irredeemably sign up for the next one here in October.

All thoughts very much appreciated - while this sort of thing may be very familiar to those in the States, I think his language and modes of expression (including the very recognisable NLP / anchoring methods) will be very helpful to 99.9% of us Brits who were brought up not to show our range of talents, potential and powers to the utmost!

I love language and how it can inspire, but I would be really keen to hear what people have made of the guy himself in live performance?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
"Life Coach"? Remember when people used to just LIVE their lives? They'd stumble, and occassionally fall flat on their faces, but would learn from that and move forward. They would have great moments of victory and grace that was earned by themselves. Sorry, I just find it humorous that for something that every living thing was born to do, i.e. live, some of us have become so self-doubting that we feel we need to be coached on how to do it. Anyway, Good luck with that. I hope it helps you live your life.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Do you have infomercials in London?
That is what I think.

I know two people who have gone that path. One is on to better things, the other is still persueing coaching. The one who is still involved started by being coached and has now been coaxed into spending more money on her further training.

I suppose there is a market, but it might be in recruiting more coaches?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Three cheers for Firedice27! I have never agreed with anyone more than you.
It is my opinion that it is only by trial and error that one truly learns how to get along with themselves and others and to live the best life that they can.
That is not to say that a little guidance here and there is not needed. The key word here is guidance but to pay someone to tell me what to do or think is going a bit far.
Life can be hard at times and unfair but with some work and self analysis, one can learn to get through it. Just my personal opinion Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I usually don't get too involved in these types of discussions as they tends towards the personal.

That being said, Minnesota Fats, the pool player extraordinaire, said words to this effect: study stupid people, watch what they do, then don't do it. Conversely, and more easily and quickly learned, (Joe's corrallary) study success, then emulate it, or, why reinvent the wheel?

Some people have a problem with Tony Robbins. He is just the latest, and more successful of a group of people who have distrilled the wisdom of successful people who have come before them and then packaged that wit and wisdom for mass consumption.

There is nothing wrong with trial and error, and even following folks like Robbins will lead down the ooccasional wrong path, for some individuals. However, advising the sole use of the trial and error method is folly when there are teachers available.

There are certain universal truths that lead to success, and people like Carnegie, Ford, Edison, Trump, Gates, etc., have followed, conciously or unconciously, these tenents and have made much of themselves and those around them. I would think it preferable to follow their leads to success. After all, they are proven successes.

As with all things, it depends on your belief in yourself, and your willingness to pay the price, whatever that price is.

Robbins, and other like him, like Napolean Hill (Think & Grow Rich) and Norman Vincent Peale (The Power of Positive Thinking) have much to offer, if only to confirm what you already know. In my personal opinion, dismissing them lightly is to close oneself off from an infinite number of possibilities.

That's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
zenmistress
View Profile
New user
London
34 Posts

Profile of zenmistress
Quote:
On 2004-03-31 19:44, blindbo wrote:
Do you have infomercials in London?

Not really. We have short commercial breaks for a multitude of different products, not the long infomercials that run and run like in the U.S.

You've made some great points I should address here.

In an ideal world, of course no-one would need help of any kind. And yes, there are plenty of people who are looking for their self-help guru to follow around the world on their seminars and circuits, getting the buzz from the atmosphere that needs to be sustained by more and more of the same programs, but not actually doing anything to help themselves.

For every one of those though, there are plenty of normal folks who, through depression, illness, trauma, loss, or other difficulties, are temporarily steeped in a fog. Sometimes this loss of purpose and focus can be more crippling and confusing than the stuff that put them there. I don’t believe it’s a case of ‘telling’ anyone what they should be doing, more helping them find the way to the stairs to help themselves. Different to counselling, which is making sense of what’s been – it’s more a case of helping people to move forward in the way they want to go. And very often, this is achieved in a remarkably short space of time. Sometimes, we just need a vital dose of courage, clarity, or logic for the path to open up. Again, in an ideal world friends would do this - but often friends won't say what they should because they don't want to hurt you and lose the friendship!

But Firedice, I salute you – with the clarity, self-belief and bouncebackability that you clearly possess, you will no doubt get wherever you’re going the fast route!
Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Feedback is a good thing.

Good feedback is all the more important when you are in one place and want to move ahead in your life.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Zenmistress, thank you for not taking my words as a personal attack. But it just breaks my heart to see people who have become so down on themselves that they can no longer see their own worth as a human being. Sure, we all get down, but I, personally, would rather be the one who pulls myself back up again. My life is by no means the fantastic vision of greatness and fortune that I often wish it was. But it's my life, and I love it, despite all its bumps and bruises. I fear for those people that constantly feel the need to struggle with the natural flow of life in order to constantly make it better, to the degree that they have given themselves goals that are not only far too high, but unimportant in the bigger picture. If striving for happiness is so much hard work for you, then you're not really striving for happiness anymore, are you? Ahhh... I'm going to go play with my deck of cards. That makes me happy.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anthony Robbins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL