The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promotional video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
I am looking to do a short promotional video that I could give to prospective clients. I mainly focus on doing children's parties but I have been expanding lately to doing some events and larger shows. I am trying to put a website together to help me better promote. My show is solid, my marketing lacks a lot!! Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start looking for someone who could help me put a video together? My local searches have produced nothing for me.

I appreciate any and all advice.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Here are some threads I would like to share with you:

Start recording it yourself first: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Pay attention to the positive posts only: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
More tips: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Some great tips Bill and others gave me previously: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Aim towards publicity and use the photos and videos: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Mike -

Here's my strolling promo video.

https://youtu.be/Ml2gk_boIwI

I hired a professional videographer to put it together. I wrote and read the script. Cost for this was about $1000. The first day I had access to the completed video, I sent to a prospective client and was booked (signed agreement) the next day.

My advice: put together the message you want yourself. Share it with a professional and pay to get a great video. Don't skimp on the cost. A great video will pay dividends.

Hudson
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Thanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I contacted a local company that I found and they are working on putting some ideas and prices together for me. I will take the time to read through the links previously posted. Thanks again for the advice.
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Great video Hudson!!

Mike, thanks so much for those links. Lots of great reading there. Thanks again for taking the time to put that together.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
No problem, Mike. It is a pleasure. People gave me a lot of respect by supporting me on The Magic Café. The jealous ones who were against me in succeeding gave me just as much support. Their negative post motivated me the most to prove they were wrong.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I enjoyed your video, Hudson. Here are a couple of my promo videos:

Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Awesome videos as well Mike. Thanks for posting. I love the name dynamike and dynamo as well.

I've got to do something with my name and I'm coming up with a total blank. I've been performing children's shows for several years. I started out as Magic Mike, then the movie come out a few years later. I really hate to go a different way because I am already established as Magic Mike, but the relation to the movie is getting to be to much. I even had a grandmother ask me to strip for her lol. I'd love to keep Mike in some form (that is actually my name) but I haven't been able to come up with anything that I really like. I'm also concerned about losing the some of the base that I have with a name change. However passing out children's birthday invite with Magic Mike listed as entertainment isn't great either. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. PM is welcome as well if you would rather send a message.

Thanks for the support. I really do appreciate it!!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I can honestly tell you I personally know of 12 or maybe even 13 (I'm sure more if I was at my office and had access to my files) performers known as Magic Mike performing in the U.S. plus several in the UK, Australia and Canada. For this reason alone I would avoid it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Magical Mike, Mystic Mike, Mysterious Mike, Mystery Mike, Michael Magic, Mike Mystics.
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
I like all the m's. I actually did start using Magical Mike but it's not enough difference. People seem to not notice the al on the end.

Thanks for all the suggestions Mike!!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Marvelous Mike, Magnificent Mike, Magician Mike.

You have the power you make what decision that is best for your business. Take your time and think it over carefully. There is a right path for that is just waiting to happen. Always remember, "The Magic Is Within You.": http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
Mike75, if you are looking for an editor, I'll invite you to take a look at my website: www.GigReels.com

Let me know if I can help, at all.

Steve
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, jugglery wrote:
Mike75, if you are looking for an editor, I'll invite you to take a look at my website: www.GigReels.com

Steve

Thanks Steve. I appreciate you reaching out to me. One of the problems I face is that I don't have any video suitable for editing. I also don't have a camera suitable for taking decent video. I looked into possibly renting a quality camera but I haven't had any success in finding anywhere locally that rents. I'm currently talking with a local company that does the recording and the editing. I haven't gotten a final price yet and I don't know how it will work out. I would definitely be interested in getting with you if I could come up with a option to get some decent video to work with.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Mike75 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, jugglery wrote:

Steve

Thanks Steve. I appreciate you reaching out to me. One of the problems I face is that I don't have any video suitable for editing. I also don't have a camera suitable for taking decent video. I looked into possibly renting a quality camera but I haven't had any success in finding anywhere locally that rents. I'm currently talking with a local company that does the recording and the editing. I haven't gotten a final price yet and I don't know how it will work out. I would definitely be interested in getting with you if I could come up with a option to get some decent video to work with.

Do you have a smart phone?

Any smart phone released in the last 24 months has more than enough camera on it to do what you want.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with Robert. Mike, I advise using your own smart phone first to record yourself several gigs. You will learn more about the reaction timings, best angles for presentations/reactions, how good the quality of the video is, etc, by taking it home and reviewing everything. Your next gig you will know more of where to set the camera.

Record yourself using a tripod set up in place. Record multiple shows yourself. Edit the clippings together that look more entertaining. That is what I did. It saved me a lot of money. It will be a good practice before hiring someone to record you. You will know how to instruct the videographer to aim the camcorder the right time to get great facial expressions, flash effects, etc. If you do not know how to edit videos, take it to someone and explain to them how you want the clippings edited.

If you take another look at my promo videos you will notice sometimes the video captures the audience only. Sometimes the video captures directly in front of me. Sometimes the video is set behind me at an angle to capture my back and the audience reactions. That is because I used two camcorders at most of my gigs.

Mike, I have a few questions for you:

Are you a close up or parlor performer?
Do you want a promo video for kid shows or adult shows?
Do you have a website yet?
What kind of cell phone do you have?
Do you have a tripod?
Do you have a camcorder?
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Dynamike wrote:

Do you have a tripod?
Do you have a camcorder?

I mainly do kids shows with the occasional show geared at mixed audiences (adults and children). I rarely ever do anything solely for adults. If I do a show for adults it's typically closeup.

I have a page on gigsalad and a facebook page. I'm in the process of putting together a website now.

I have a IPhone 6

I don't have a tripod or a camcorder.

Any other questions you have I would be happy to answer Mike. Thanks for your interest and advice.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Mike75 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Dynamike wrote:

Do you have a tripod?
Do you have a camcorder?

I mainly do kids shows with the occasional show geared at mixed audiences (adults and children). I rarely ever do anything solely for adults. If I do a show for adults it's typically closeup.

I have a page on gigsalad and a facebook page. I'm in the process of putting together a website now.

I have a IPhone 6

I don't have a tripod or a camcorder.

Any other questions you have I would be happy to answer Mike. Thanks for your interest and advice.

ip6 camera is plenty good enough. Go buy a tripod and a mobile phone mount at Walmart.

So do this...

Make a video of you performing. Make sure it highlights the VALUE you bring to a buyer and not just you doing fancy tricks because no one cares about the tricks.

Create two or three different versions and deploy a small ad on Facebook against a targeted demographic. Kids birthday parties? I might target moms in a given area at a certain salary level. Spend a small amount, say $25 - $50 on each one and track the metrics and response. Once you've got one you know is hitting, deploy that ad at the same targeted audience, but spend a more doing it. What's the right amount? I don't know. $100? $250? $500? What kind of reach do you want? The higher the bid the more likely the response.

I mean if you deploy $500 worth of ads, you only need 3 bookings to pay for it. What if you get 20 shows? 100 shows?

The quality of your campaign all comes down to the quality of the ad. If your video is about stroking your own ego, you'll suck. If it's about value for the customer, you'll win.

-Robert
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mike, it is good to get the equipment as Robert mentioned. Download your videos to your computer. Look for the scenes where the audience is being highly entertained. If you cannot edit videos yourself, or cannot afford a high quality editor, go to "Fiverr" to have someone do it for you with a low fee. Put the video on Youtube and other free video media websites.
Mike75
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mike75
Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I really do appreciate it!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promotional video (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL