The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Anyone remember Zagoni's Magic Shop; Chicago? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charles schneider
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of charles schneider
Just curious if anyone remember's Zagoni's magic shop in Chicago. I think that was the spelling. It was a small place that also had many gags and masks. It was certainly no Magic, Inc. nor like the wonderful Treasure Chest, downtown, (which I visited during it's decline in the late 60's - 70's - when they started selling commercial pseudo-Hippie merchandise - it was still a big treat for me)

None the less, Zagonis - on the North side of Chi - was run by a whimsical fellow whose last name was that of his shop. Wonder what happened to him and his business. I have fading but fond memories of his prankster-like enthusiasm and am curious, as the years unspool, if the place was a mere figment of my feverish imagination.
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
54 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
Charles,

I had completely forgotten about this shop, which was in the Lincoln/Belmont area. No figment of your imagination. I have exactly the same recollection of the place!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I remember the shop from one visit. Rather small and the owner was a kind, gentle man with a really wry sense of humor.

As to Treasure Chest, I used to run the magic counter there in the mid 70's for a period of about 2 years (before I worked at Marshall Brodien's shop at Old Chicago and before I moved to Ann Arbor, MI and back).

I think I bought a set of Vernet finger goodies there...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
fugawee
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of fugawee
I remember that store from very early 70's.Used to stop there every saturday morning after I dropped off my Booster Paper route money.Store was on Melrose,just south of belmont and west of Lincoln ave.
I have seen Mr.Zogoni at Wolffs flea market (the outdoor rosemont one) last year.He says he is a regular vendor there,also was in the middle of purchasing a new build to manufacture halloween masks.
Still had the fake dog crap and mutilated finger tricks... good stuff... good memories
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Boy. Treasure Chest. I was always there when I was a kid. It was 1 bus ride & a transfer for the subway. I've also been to Zagoni's. Bishop's in North Riverside was also a great place.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Anyone remember Zagoni's Magic Shop; Chicago? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL