The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DIY Topit (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
England
282 Posts

Profile of Tom Wong
Please excuse me if this thread is in the wrong place, if so please could a moderator move it to where it should be. Thanks.

In the past I have never really looked into buying a topit as I never previously wore a jacket while performing. As I am looking to begin table hopping and strolling I have become interested in topits. I was wondering if I could create my own, and if so how? All related ideas are welcome.

If this is classed as exposure, sorry you may remove this thread. It is probably best if you have ideas about a DIY topit to PM them to me rather than reply to this thread as I am sure a few of the other members may not be familiar with a topit and the workings of one.

Regards,
Tom
Mentalistry | Providing quality material to Mentalists across the globe
www.mentalistry.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My dear friend, the late Pat Page (a "wearer of the kilt")was a master of the top it.

His family still sells his dvds, books, and props. They are inhabitants of a small island, called UK, located between the "English Channel" and the Atlantic Ocean. (hee hee)

It may be fun to experiment. However, unless you have a lot of time, and some money, to invest, it might be cheaper, and quicker to buy one "tailor made".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Michael Ammar has a Good Book on the TOPIT
Check it out

http://www.ammarmagic.com/topitbook201.html

Hope this helps

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! I perhaps should have mentioned by friend Michael, also, but, since you live on "UK" Island (hee) I thought I would mention Pat first.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Check "The Clothes We Wear" threads in the Odds and Ends section. Quite a few discussions about topits there
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Buying the Topit would be the easiest and fastest.

But if you understand the basic idea of the Topit , then of course you could experiment and find something that worked for you.

A little empirical data collection never hurts a project and it doesn't preclude buying a Topit in the end.

By and large the field of Magic would be better off if we Magicians experimented and thought about our Magic a little more. We rely on "ready made" and "off the rack" too much.

-Mary Mowder
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In his Dollar Store Magic "Tote Bag Change Bag" e-Book, Spellbinder gives some creative ideas for not only using a Tote Bag as a separate trick in itself, but also having it serve secret duty as a Topit before or after it is used as a separate trick.

Wiz Kid Eleazar also has some clever ideas for building in a Topit to a T-Shirt, for those who prefer not to perform in jackets, in his "T-Shirt Magic" e-Book in The Wizards' Journal #7.

Think outside the bag!
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
I agree with above. Buying it would be better and more reliable in the long run. I have the 21st century topit by David Penn. Comes with a DVD with handling, tips, tricks, etc. Recommend highly.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
"Inventing your own" works a lot better when you are thoroughly familiar with what has already been invented.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I have Ammar's original topit book as well as his current work. Making a pattern from his instructions gave me a good starting point for designing my own version. I suspect looking at others works on the topic would provide additional ideas as well.

Gary
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Count me in as another "buying it would likely be more reliable and cost effective in the long term" vote.

That said, you didn't really specify: is there any particular reason you're looking at maybe creating your own instead of buying one? That information could probably help us to point you toward specific products that fit your needs (either in terms of buying or making).
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Avocat
ScotteVest has a blazer with enough pockets to carry an entire magic collection

Two pockets are sufficiently large and well-placed to serve as Topits - you just need a safety pin or a bulldog clip

https://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-Sportcoat.shtml
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
518 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
SERIOUSLY!...I looked at the Blazer (here is the specific page with the dress blazer) and YES it looks like a Topit type pocket AND a Vertical opening pocket that you could do something like a TKO type spot too!
Has anyone really tried to modify one of these in real world use? $235 isn't too bad considering buying a good jacket, then having a tailor make the needed pockets in the lining.

https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens-jac......en.shtml

Let us know if anyone has bought one of these before.

Thanks,
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DIY Topit (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL