The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Issue with Penguin Magic (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Ordered a book and two force decks. While ordering the force decks I put a note that said "Both decks must be 7 or clubs." Received the package and I got the Queen of Diamonds and 6 of Hearts. They asked me for a screen shot of the order. I advised that I didn't take one as I didn't realize that was required. They suggested I mail the decks back to them at my expense. I tried to explain that it wasn't my error and they just didn't seem to get it. I mentioned that as a regular customer I was concerned that I had to go through so much for two $5 decks. Bottom line they won't own up to their mistake. Nice information to know and obviously I won't be ordering from them again.

jeff

ps. I even sent two emails to Acar and to response.
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
cuervo5150
View Profile
New user
Riverside, CA
56 Posts

Profile of cuervo5150
I know it's disappointing to receive something incorrect in the mail, especially if you gave specific directions. But they did offer to exchange it for you, and asking for you to return the products is pretty much standard procedure. Most reputable dealers will either toss in a little freebie or discount code for your next order to cover any inconvenience they may have caused.

Penguin has been around awhile, give them a chance to make things right and see what happens.

Psst…Penguin….Hook him up.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

The cost to return two decks of cards from Canada is basically the cost of buying two new decks. The cost isn't the issue...the principle is. I order something and never received it. The error wasn't mine and I shouldn't have to take responsibility for it. If this is the way they handle a problem with a small order I can't imagine how I'm supposed to feel comfortable with a large purchase.

jeff
www.MagicalEducator.com

Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Hi Jeff, I'm sorry for the confusion, the responses you got from our customer service weren't very clear. Let me try to help.

1. We sell a product called the forcing deck 7 of clubs. Everyone who orders it gets the 7 of clubs. You didn't order that. You ordered a product called The One Way Force Deck, that has a note on the first line of the description in bold red:

"Please Note: If you wish to request a particular card (i.e., Ace of Clubs, 2 of Hearts), do so in the comments box (on the last page of the checkout process). If we cannot provide that card, the closest match available will be provided."

2. This means that we *try* to accommodate requests, but we don't promise them.

[Incidentally (and totally beside the point), your order didn't have a comment on it. I double checked. We get lots of comments on orders every day, and the feature seems to be working. We've never had an issue with comments not working before, so I'm not sure what happened to your comment. Your situation has given me an idea for a site improvement where we include your comments when we email you your receipt, so in the future you can have a record of the comments you leave too.]

3. Even though we explicitly don't promise specific decks, after receiving 2 decks that weren't the 7 of clubs, you *insisted* that we send you replacement decks at our cost, OR ELSE we will lose you as a customer for life.

Help me out, Jeff. What would you do in my position? I don't feel like we made a mistake, but I also don't want to lose you as a customer!

As a goodwill gesture, (and because the responses you got from our support team were a little confusing, and because your situation has inspired a new website feature, and because right or wrong, it's a shame to be mad over $10) I will give you a $10 gift certificate so you can add two 7 of Clubs decks to your next order. All I ask is that you agree to always be a customer of penguin magic for life and never leave. EVER. And get a penguin magic tattoo on your back. Deal? Ok, cool.

Here's your gift certificate: [nice try, Café user.. I edited this part out -Acar]

Here are the links to the decks you want:

red: http://penguinmagic.com/p/S6664
blue: http://penguinmagic.com/p/S6609
Lempereur
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Lempereur
I would like to chime in here and point out that Penguin Magic is one of, if not the best, online magic dealers in the world.

I recently ordered a classic standard book that every Prestidigitator should have.

Upon receiving it, I had to hide the Penguin box in my recording studio so my wife did not see it.
She does not care that I buy magic, she complains about how we are running out of room.

At any rate, a couple a days later, I opened up the box and discovered the book had major mildew smell.

I called up the Penguin and they took it back immediately and shipped me out another one.
When that one showed up, still sealed like the first in plastic shrink wrap, it also had the same mildew smell.

Turned out the entire shipment from the printer had the mildew smell, but until the shrink wrap was removed, there was
no way to know that the books were in that condition.

When I called they took it back again and gave me a refund.

I spent close to $4k dollars with Penguin in the past year, mostly books and dvds, and every order was satisfactory.

And I love the ability to see my order being packed, as well as the free shipping, and in my humble opinion (MHO) for you younger folks, first class customer service!

Signed,

Jim Rose
Hopelessly hooked on Magic, among a few other addictions!
Cordially Yours,

Jim Rose
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

I have had a mostly good experience with Penguin. My issue was just with my most recent order which has now been resolved. I've spent a fair bit of money there as well and am still a little surprised that I had to go through so many hoops but in the end it was resolved. Thanks Acar.

jeff Smile
www.MagicalEducator.com

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2017, Acar wrote:
Hi Jeff, I'm sorry for the confusion, the responses you got from our customer service weren't very clear. Let me try to help.

1. We sell a product called the forcing deck 7 of clubs. Everyone who orders it gets the 7 of clubs. You didn't order that. You ordered a product called The One Way Force Deck, that has a note on the first line of the description in bold red:

"Please Note: If you wish to request a particular card (i.e., Ace of Clubs, 2 of Hearts), do so in the comments box (on the last page of the checkout process). If we cannot provide that card, the closest match available will be provided."

2. This means that we *try* to accommodate requests, but we don't promise them.

[Incidentally (and totally beside the point), your order didn't have a comment on it. I double checked. We get lots of comments on orders every day, and the feature seems to be working. We've never had an issue with comments not working before, so I'm not sure what happened to your comment. Your situation has given me an idea for a site improvement where we include your comments when we email you your receipt, so in the future you can have a record of the comments you leave too.]

3. Even though we explicitly don't promise specific decks, after receiving 2 decks that weren't the 7 of clubs, you *insisted* that we send you replacement decks at our cost, OR ELSE we will lose you as a customer for life.

Help me out, Jeff. What would you do in my position? I don't feel like we made a mistake, but I also don't want to lose you as a customer!

As a goodwill gesture, (and because the responses you got from our support team were a little confusing, and because your situation has inspired a new website feature, and because right or wrong, it's a shame to be mad over $10) I will give you a $10 gift certificate so you can add two 7 of Clubs decks to your next order. All I ask is that you agree to always be a customer of penguin magic for life and never leave. EVER. And get a penguin magic tattoo on your back. Deal? Ok, cool.

Here's your gift certificate: [nice try, Café user.. I edited this part out -Acar]

Here are the links to the decks you want:

red: http://penguinmagic.com/p/S6664
blue: http://penguinmagic.com/p/S6609

Seriously cool customer service stuff here! Way to step up when it wasn't even necessary.

I have never been a fan of online magic shops. Too bad I buy painfully little because this response alone has me as a customer for life.

The bad thing is it might translate into about $50 over the lifetime.

So in all great to see this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I had bought the UWC dvd
. It included the needed cards. Unfortunately the cards were sticking together. I called Penguin and I was told that they would send out another one immediatly.....and they did! You just don't see customer service like that anymore. It is genuinly appreciated and is also how you keep customers for life. Thanks! db
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
If I get a Penguin Magic tattoo on my back, can I get a deck too!??

Totally worth it, though my wife disagrees.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Strange how M-E Didn't even say thank you for the STELLAR customer service provided by Penguin? You may not have him as a customer for life but you sure solidified a position in my consumer repertoire.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2017, paul180 wrote:
Strange how M-E Didn't even say thank you for the STELLAR customer service provided by Penguin? You may not have him as a customer for life but you sure solidified a position in my consumer repertoire.

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, MagicalEducator wrote:
I have had a mostly good experience with Penguin. My issue was just with my most recent order which has now been resolved. I've spent a fair bit of money there as well and am still a little surprised that I had to go through so many hoops but in the end it was resolved. Thanks Acar.

jeff Smile

He wrote thanks to the owner. What more do you want him to do? Or did you just read the first post and skim the rest?
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
I did miss his response. Given the amount of complaining he did I thought his gratitude would have been much longer. And to answer your " What more do you want him to do?" question, I don't want him to do anything. This is the right/wrong forum. I would hope we all want each other to do the right thing. Penguin sure did!
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Issue with Penguin Magic (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL