The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Derek Dingle (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of shakuni
I read somewhere that Derek Dingle made a living using only 6 card tricks. Out of those, he mostly used only 3. I know this is true for most professionals. But can anyone post the names of these 6 tricks. Thanks!
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
No idea if this was one of the supposed 6, but this is easily my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPN5uOBX0E
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
639 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I will be curious to see the answer to this. There is another story of another DD magician, David Devant. A young boy who was learning magic proudly told Devant that he could perform over a thousand tricks, to which Devant replied that he could only perform seven.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2948 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I've heard that story attributed to other magicians, including Dai Vernon. Either way, it's a good point.
I j
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of magikcid
There is a book called Derek Dingle's Last Notes by Rich Marotta and Simon Lovell. Supposedly they worked with Derek and studied everything he performed and the booklet has the routines he actually performed. Which were (at least according to the book);

-Cigarette through Quarter
-Coins Across
-Ring Flight
-The Collector's
-The Fabulous Jumping Card Trick
-Sympathetic Cards
-The Whispering Queen

Hopefully this helps. I'm a big fan of Derek Dingle myself and his Complete Works is easily in my top 10 of all time. Good luck...
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
639 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
But now there is a new question: was Derek Dingle's wife as hot as Not Steve's?

Seriously, Not Steve, I think you made a number of good points. I am prepping for a show on Monday, and as I was putting together a set list, I found myself wanting to include some items really just for my own benefit. And then in looking back at some old notes, I would be thinking, "Oh, that trick is too easy.... But it ALWAYS gets great reactions!"

There is a great line in the Eagles documentary on Netflix where Glenn Frey discusses a disagreement he had with Randy Meisner. Meisner was complaining that he was getting tired of singing "Take It To The Limit," and having to hit those stratospheric high notes at the end of the song, they'd been doing it for years and he was beginning to lose interest in it, and so on. And Frey's response was, "What, you think I love opening the show with 'Take It Easy' every night? But think about those fans, Randy -- this may be the ONLY time they ever get to see you sing it live!"

In all performing arts, there has to be a balance between artistic expression and respecting the audience's desire to be entertained; sometimes, I am afraid I err on the side of wanting to do "something new and challenging" at the expense of doing "something I am really good at." Audiences will not let me get away with this indulgence for too long..... So I think my obligation is to make sure that my new and challenging material is every bit as entertaining as the tried and true material.

In other words, don't do the trick until it is ready for prime time!
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2905 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Certainly we must be conscious of the audience's desire to be entertained. But I think our job is to get them interested in new things to some extent. As a musician, I am tempted to do a bunch of covers that I know people generally like e.g. Brown Eyed Girl et al. It's really cool when I can do something that they have never heard and have them asking "What was that one? That was really cool."

I'm not sure what the analogy to this in magic is, but I think it means that we don't just have to do Ambitious Card and other standards that we know work. Do things you love and believe in and sell the magic to the audience.

Mike
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2948 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think doing new stuff keeps us having fun and at the same time the audience will have fun.
I j
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of magikcid
I don't think learning new tricks is bad and I don't think being able to do a lot of tricks is bad either. There is an argument for both sides. Michael Skinner had a vast repertoire and Paul Potassy has been going the same routines for a lifetime. I think artistically if you can keep improving the same set then awesome. For others the challenge is to grow, sometimes in new directions. Which sometimes means retiring older sets and breaking in new ones. I guess I'm arguing for continual improvement. And for some people that is refining for a lifetime. For others, it is moving out of their comfort zones. The tough part is figuring out is what part of the fence you lie.
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
54 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Magikcid - 5 of the tricks you mention are explained on "Dingles Delights" from Meir Yedid Magic
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
483 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, Not Steve Brooks wrote:
I think the only reason to continually change the tricks we do, for the most part, is to entertain ourselves.

And?

I prefer to have a career that invigorates and excites. We're capable of mastering more than just a handful of items. And yet we don't because.... why? His Majesty Dingle didn't?

How dare you come to the Café with your well reasoned and accurate points?!
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
847 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Being like someone else should never be the goal. Michael Skinner was said to have worked the Magic Castle for a week, three shows a day and never repeated a trick. And he was a full-time professional. So in the end, does it really matter? Choose a path and be true to it.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
I think the only reason to continually change the tricks we do, for the most part, is to entertain ourselves.

Some magicians work restaurants or bars that have regulars.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
847 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Quote:

Some magicians work restaurants or bars that have regulars.

Good point. Also, it isn't that we need variety to entertain ourselves, but to prevent boredom and to keep things fresh. Doing the same 6 tricks over and over may bring home the bacon, but I imagine at some point it is easy to begin going through the motions.
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
54 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Lonnie Chevrie in Outlaw Magic DVD described tricks that he used professionally. Over a decade later in his penguin Live lecture he was describing the same tricks that he was still using. He still seemed to be enjoying the presentation and the explanation. The tricks were good
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
470 Posts

Profile of martysh
You guys all make a lot of sense...Dingle...at the time was one of the most accomplished card guy in his time..his pass was remarkable as he showed on late night TV..just that...look at his book and see how hard his stuff was..look at rollover aces ..I thg think the first to do that...he did only a few tricks for rank and file one the famous jumping card trick...for me I've done..open sesame aces for 40 years...to have invented so many hard tricks as nd perform regularly so few is quite a testimony to him
Marty
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
930 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
My buddy Michael Korn made a video few years ago. Hey knew Derek very well, and this was his tribute. Some really nice stuff here!

https://youtu.be/211clcM2__g
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
566 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Ed, Thanks for posting. I enjoyed viewing the video.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
546 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Hey Ed,

Thanks for posting that video!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8511 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Anyone here know about DINGLE'S DECEPTIONS? A booklet I wrote a looong time ago - when not too many magic people knew his name.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Derek Dingle (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL