The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sherlock'oin by Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
You're welcome MSD921.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
I agree with about everything Alex said in his review above except about using the gaffed deck for other effects. Since only a quarter of the deck is off limits there are many, many effects that could still easily done with the deck. An Ambitious Card, various small packet tricks, and countless others. In fact, I was just watching an old Karl Hein lecture where he showed his wonderful version of Out of this World in which he only uses a portion of the deck. Not to mention that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to switch out the gaffed cards utilizing the built in misdirection the Sherlock'oin routine provides.

Anyway, the props provided are very well made and the gaffs are practically undetectable. The fact that it all comes ready to go out of the box is a great thing and almost unheard of these days. I have yet to give it a go so I'm not sure if it will garner good reactions or not. It's hard to say with this effect but I like that it incorporates a coin into a card routine which could lead into another coin routine. And it leaves them with a pseudo souvenir which is never a bad thing.

It has enough potential that I feel it's worth putting in the work to get it smooth (which isn't difficult) with the hopes that it will turn out to be a real worker.

Oh, and yes, a coin the size of a quarter is the absolute largest you can use and smaller coins are even easier to perform it with. Also, if anyone cares, it comes in blue Rider backs.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Sherlock'oin
Creator: Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 42.48

Type of effect: Vanishing object box

Manufacturer's Write Up: From the minds of Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan, all the way from France.

Sherlock'oin is an effect of pure magic! This is one of the most direct and clean methods of sending an object to an "impossible" place.

A selected and signed card is lost in the middle of the deck. You put all the cards back in the box and you borrow a coin from your audience. The coin is signed by a spectator and you make the coin magically disappear. The signed coin reappears instantly in the box and in the middle of the deck on the signed card! Audiences are amazed!

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception

Tricks that it is similar to:

Captivity by Rodolphe Candela
Block buster by Tony D'Amico
In a flash by Jay Sankey

What's in the box? You will receive a custom gimmick printed by United States Playing Card Company, ready to use immediately and the download code for the video.

Key points:

45 minutes of detailed instructions (English and French)
Easy to learn - Instant reset
Spectator signs the card and the coin
You can even use a borrowed ring

How are the production values: Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan talking to you, there is some language dubbing. Stationary camera shot over the shoulder to give you a magician’s view.

Is it well made: This is handmade and should last you a long time.

Is it well taught: Chiefly the initial routine is taught, with some variations and ideas. I would have liked a section on making your own from your favorite deck (although it is obvious).

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It is the size of a standard deck of cards – and the ring or the coin can be borrowed.

Does it "play big?" Wonderful because it’s three tricks in one, it’s a card trick a vanish and an impossible location.

Difficulty / Skill level required: Very simple, does not require any sleights.

How much arts and crafts are involved? None, but since the trick involves a signed card, you will need to keep replacing the deck with new cards to maintain it’s size.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Easily, however the deck is a “one hit wonder” and you can not use it for any other effects.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

__X___ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts: This a very powerful piece of magic than anyone of any skill level can do.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: ​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqKr7x2f1Q
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have both this and Jay Sankey's In a Flash. I think this one is much more versatile and I would be much more likely to use this in a professional or non-professional setting. If you use this professionally, I would highly recommend you use the deck for one or two follow up effects that only need 3/4 of the deck or less.

One little tip if you use this with other effects: Make the top card of the gimmick portion a corner cut key card. Now, you can cut to the gimmick easily.

There are a lot of really good effects that only use 1-4 cards that could be done with this deck. One thing that comes to mind is Masterpiece by Rick Lax.

You could link a few effects under the premise: "Things that never happened"

KJ
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Fero
Got this yesterday and easily passed the girlfriend test. Easy to perform, just be careful to not expose the gimmick.
Overall reallly well made trick
8/10
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Hmmm. I liked this but not, it seems, as much as some of you. But it is ok to have different opinions! Very visual but I feel like the effort needed to get it smooth with the gimmick might just as well be put into some more sleight of hand to get a similar effect! Re. In a flash - the 'versatility' argument for this one doesn't really do it for me - if you like the effect, then it's worth carrying an extra deck, full stop... Feel free to disagree Smile
A bigger problem for me is the limited range of UK coinage that works with it - but I LOVE Dominic's idea of using a ring instead...
Full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2017/05/0......edition/
http://www.morethanmagic.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
Thoritech
View Profile
New user
France
14 Posts

Profile of Thoritech
Hi there !
Just this message to tell you the video to learn how we can fix the gimmick is now online and available with your purchase ! Hope you enjoy this trick more than I do.
See you,

Thomas Riboulet
Ramon M
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ramon M
As much as I do?
Thoritech
View Profile
New user
France
14 Posts

Profile of Thoritech
I'm French sorry for my English. I wanted to say I love this trick and I hope you too Smile
thannah
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of thannah
Love the trick and I have no problem using this deck for other effects. I also find that, at least for me, spectators don't seem to mind, or take any special notice, if I switch to other decks during a routine....

My one question, and appreciate any feedback -- when doing the reveal, the instructions are to keep one card in the deck and put it on top of the gimmick card, while removing the deck from the box. This is, for me, very awkward. I've practiced the move a lot and can't make it smooth. It's obvious I'm doing something sneaky. Does anyone use this move? If so, any tips? Does anyone just pull out the deck without this move, with the gimmick card on top, in a way that the gimmick does not expose? Interestingly the video of the actual routine doesn't have this move. Interested in any feedback, thanks!!
Thoritech
View Profile
New user
France
14 Posts

Profile of Thoritech
Hi thannah,

Thanks for purchasing my trick, I hope you enjoy it ! For this move, that's how I do it. When I remove the cards from the deck, my middle finger push the last card of the deck inside the box. Then I drop on the table the deck and I say : " sorry, I forgot one them". When you do this move, I move the box just above the deck on the table to hide it a little bit. Because I don't want the gimmick exposed. I take the card left in the box and I drop it on the deck.

Just to tell you a little story, one day, I was practicing Sherlock'oin without this move, and because of the light exposition, spectators saw the gimmick. Since that day, I always do this move ! I hope I've been help you with this post. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have other questions !

Ps : sorry for my English, I'm French Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sherlock'oin by Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL