The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
A Go fund me for Daryl's family has been set up.Below is the address.

https://www.gofundme.com/the-easton-family
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
For those who prefer to use PayPal:

"The Magic Castle are raising money, but some magicians have chosen to just send directly to us by sending a PayPal donation using the email address magic@daryl.net - If you go onto PayPal.com and choose to "send" it walks you through it very simply."

-Mary
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Thank you for posting the contribution pages. While I have met Darryl a number of times, I can't say that I really knew him. He was always most kind, innovative and inspiring. I've been speechless since first hearing the news and my heart goes out to his family.

Dan.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Some more info I found from Misdirection's Magic Shop.

"FYI... About Daryl, this from Scott Wells from The Magic Word....
FEBRUARY 28, 2017 from Jerry Ferguson:

"I spoke with Alison, Daryl's wife, for a long time on the phone today.
"She explained that Daryl had been suffering from clinical depression for years. He had been taking medication for his condition for a very long time. She explained that people in show business are often very fragile people. Growing up Daryl had been badly physically abused by his mother. Not sexually, but she would often hit him. His escape was the world of magic, reading books, learning magic, performing and getting love, respect and appreciation from an audience that he loved. He loved to make his audience feel good by entertaining them.��"Alison was an illusionist working on Norwegian cruise lines and theater venues in Japan when she met Daryl in 1996 at one of his lectures. They got together and in 1998 they were married. They had two beautiful daughters and Alison said that Daryl was a very caring generous loving father. They had a wonderful normal loving family being together for 20 years. They both loved each other and with the children were committed to each other forever.
"Alison said that some of the internet sensational fake news stories and blogs are hurtful and not true. Simply a way to sell ads.

"She said that because of legal issues the coroners will normally rule suicides as accidents unless there is absolute proof and absolute certainty in order to protect themselves from legal issues involving insurance companies etc.. Daryl loved the Magic Castle where he had spent so much time learning from Dai Vernon and other great master magicians. It was like home for him. A place he loved. A place he felt safe. Those who saw him friday said he was peaceful and serene as he quietly visited every room. Fond memories of the happy years he spent there. He went to the dressing room area in the parlor. He was fully clothed. He had placed a bag over his head so that the people finding his body at the Castle, out of respect for them, would not have to see or remember seeing a gruesome dead face. He had placed certain items, and papers, in his coat pockets that have meaning to Alison. So Daryl had decided to end his long bout with depression on his own terms at a place that he loved. His body was found hanging fully clothed with a bag over his head in the parlor dressing area behind the curtain of the parlor. His body will be sent home to be cremated. There will be a memorial service at the Magic Castle some time in the future.

"Daryl had no life insurance. Alison and Daryl's relationship was fine. He had planned to spend one day at home after the Phoenix lecture before leaving on a 30 city lecture tour in Spain. "Alison and the kids are now faced with funeral expenses. Alison like Daryl works from home. So this is a real good time to stock up on Daryl magic supplies which would help Alison and the kids pay for the funeral expenses. Daryl's web site is fully operational and all orders will be promptly filled. His web site is: "
Welcome to daryl.net

Daryl would have been deeply moved by the outpouring of support for his family and the many fond memories spontaneously shared by friends around the world in response to his sudden and unexpected passing on February 24th 2017.
WWW.DARYL.NET."
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm angry at the loss and at the situation but people don't commit suicide because they are thinking clearly. They are in pain and can't deal with it.

I knew Daryl too and by EVERY signal I got from him, he was a committed Husband and Father.

Depression is a real illness with devastating consequences and the treatment options don't always help (I have a Brother who was drugged to stupidity in a professional effort to cure him, still depressed, but thankfully getting fewer drugs now). We may as well blame the victims of Cancer.

We lost one of the Great Ones in Magic and a Wonderful Person. Leave it at that.

-Mary Mowder
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah they are not thinking clearly or rationally otherwise they would not do it. It is easy for those in the proper state of mind to be angry and assume that is was a selfish act. But sometimes people just snap and want a way out and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. Not everyone is the same or is strong enough to handle it all. Sometimes they just break.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
It's quite amazing how many people really have no understanding of the state of a depressed individual's mind when they are contemplating suicide. I suffered severe depression in high school (and on occasion, since then) and you get to the point that you consider yourself so inadequate for not being able to just live. Just enjoy a day. What goes along with that is you consider yourself a burden, not only to yourself, but especially to your family who are so awesome and special and who would really be so much better off without you. I remember thinking about giving my sister my shoes- I had a pair of shoes I really liked- suede oxfords I got from the Sears catalogue- paid more than $40.00 for them, which was a lot for me at the time. We lived way below the poverty line and my Mom raised my sister and I on Social Assistance, so that price for the shoes was significant at the time. Here I sat in Environmental Science Class one day, beside my sister, who had that class with me, thinking about giving her my shoes. As though they'd have more value to her than I did. I didn't deserve such a cool pair of shoes and she should have them and be free of me at the same time. This is the way the mind thinks in such a state. That's how this disease claims earthly lives.

Call me what you will. You all might have a little more insight into some of my posts around here. I don't just talk through my hat, though I've been accused of it. A little more listening with an attempt to understand and accept, and realize grace, would go a long way toward healing for so many.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Powerful and magical post Laurie. Hopefully it will help others to understand a bit more the multi-faceted disease of mental illness. Smile
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2017, sirbrad wrote:
Some more info I found from Misdirection's Magic Shop.

"FYI... About Daryl, this from Scott Wells from The Magic Word....
FEBRUARY 28, 2017 from Jerry Ferguson:

"Daryl had no life insurance. Alison and Daryl's relationship was fine. He had planned to spend one day at home after the Phoenix lecture before leaving on a 30 city lecture tour in Spain. "Alison and the kids are now faced with funeral expenses. Alison like Daryl works from home. So this is a real good time to stock up on Daryl magic supplies which would help Alison and the kids pay for the funeral expenses. Daryl's web site is fully operational and all orders will be promptly filled. His web site is: "
Welcome to daryl.net

Daryl would have been deeply moved by the outpouring of support for his family and the many fond memories spontaneously shared by friends around the world in response to his sudden and unexpected passing on February 24th 2017.
WWW.DARYL.NET."

I am sure to take grief for this, but NO LIFE INSURANCE???!!!

Most policies pay a suicide after a 2 year wait.

I carry $500K+ right now, at a cost of about $600/year (at age 55). I had well over $1 million when my kids were minors, and it cost next to nothing, relatively speaking. No I am just providing for my wife, as my kids are well employed.

I am not judging anyone by any means, but protect your family, people.

One of my best friends from high school died in a car wreck on 2004, and he did not heed my advise. His family struggles unnecessarily as the youngest child graduates HS.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Dyrwolf, I don’t want to start an argument, or infringe on this thread dedicated to Daryl.

But the sad reality is: Sometimes life’s circumstances play havoc with the best-laid plans. I had great health insurance until 9/11/2001, which changed my life forever. Could not afford any health insurance until late last year, when I turned 65, and Medicare finally kicked in.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, arthur stead wrote:
Dyrwolf, I don’t want to start an argument, or infringe on this thread dedicated to Daryl.

But the sad reality is: Sometimes life’s circumstances play havoc with the best-laid plans. I had great health insurance until 9/11/2001, which changed my life forever. Could not afford any health insurance until late last year, when I turned 65, and Medicare finally kicked in.

I'm talking life insurance, not health insurance. Every adult with children should have a term policy to provide for their kids should something happen to them. Bought at the age most people start having kids, $500K is about $20-40/month. Of course, if you have serious health issues, you might not be able to get the best price, or any price. However, I would argue that if you have a health condition so serious that you could not obtain life insurance, you probably should reconsider having children, since you likely will not be around to raise them.

If anyone reading this has kids and no such insurance, I would advise rethinking this approach. I have seen so many families destroyed by the unexpected death of the breadwinner. I've stepped in to help some of these kids.

I don't think this is infringing at all. Daryl lectured at my ring back in the early 80's; nice guy. I'm just saying people with kids should examine their priorities, and drop some cell phone expenses, or forgo a night at a restaurant once a month. The expense is really small, in comparison with the consequences.

As a teacher, I would refer to his death as a "teachable moment" in this respect.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, dyrwolf wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, arthur stead wrote:

I'm talking life insurance, not health insurance.

Of course you are. I was just illustrating, with my health insurance story, that you never know what life can throw at you. And incidentally. because of my own situation, I don't have any life insurance either.

We also don't know what Daryl's circumstances were. Just sayin' ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I second the incredible importance of evaluating your needs for life insurance.

My parents never even mentioned it to me before I 'left the nest'. The realization of its importance only came about a number of years later.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, Chessmann wrote:
I second the incredible importance of evaluating your needs for life insurance.

My parents never even mentioned it to me before I 'left the nest'. The realization of its importance only came about a number of years later.

And I will add that you probably want a second plan outside of one that you get from you employer. I drove truck over 20 years and always carried between $100,000 - $250,000 thru my employers group rate plans. Most of those expired when I left the job. (I forget what "type" insurance that is officially called). Now that I am no longer working and do not still have an active plan thru an employer, I think it would be difficult to find a plan as affordable as my "work plan" since I have had cancer twice in 5 years and many other problems stemming from that.

Also, the generosity of others is on and off. Pages like Go Fund Me are great but with a few scams sticking thru the cracks from time to time, people can get a little nervous about donating. The fact that "we, as magicians (and possibly many non magic fans) know this is a very legit "GFM", Here we are, a month in and $11,000 has been raised for his family. While that is great, and I know it really helps his family out, it is too bad there wasn't more of a financial safety net.

I was told by my accountant (years ago when I owned my own truck and was "self employed") that you should AT MINIMUM carry 3 - 5 years salary in life insurance.

I had a weekend long "Daryl Watchathon" this weekend and I have to say, It was a little tough at first but as the dvds went on, his infectious enthusiasm for presenting magic and teaching it to the masses got a smile back on my face. My thoughts go out to his family still in this unthinkably hard time.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
The cheapest insurance and the kind that Poof Daddy is talking is "Term Life Insurance." My two cents: If an insurance salesman want to sell you "Whole Life" or anything other than term, don't do it. You will do much better paying for Term and investing in the difference between Term and Whole Life.

If you die young, your insurance pays the total amount and your family still has money in the bank. Yes, you can "lock in" lower rates by getting "Whole Life" when you are young, but the hope is that as you get older, your income will rise. This provides more insurance for less money at a time when you don't have it to spend.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'm still stunned. "Daryl died at the Magic Castle". Those words echo in my head. Daryl. He was my age, 61. See, I have no one. And, I really have nothing of value anyway. But he did. A family. I imagine he looked at his life. At his accomplishments. And...his future. I know I have. I chose my lifestyle and career early on. At fifteen I knew I wanted to be a disc jockey. In 2008, I was fired for the final time. Not one radio station has expressed interest.

I am a disabled veteran. Otherwise I'd be on the street. My family wants nothing to do with me. To them, I am a loser. A burden. Well, I have a pension now, and am quite comfortable, although not able to save. Suicide has crossed my mind in the past. Mainly because I am tired of being a burden, a loser and one foot outside the Homeless Shelter. But...(and this is KEY) I have God. That prevents me from losing all hope.

I don't think Daryl planned this. I could be wrong. A spur of the moment thought. Do it. Done. A shock that resonates all through the Magic World. I know one thing. I am re-buying all the Daryl magic stuff I had before the foreclosure. On DVD this time!

Doug
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Doug, I haven't been posting much, but let me say a couple of things... What you said is not only brave buy obviously from your heart!
I know for a fact that I am not alone in saying that you don't have "no one.' I, for one became a member of this café because of your and JoeJoe, and Devious's, poof-daddy, Ekuth's, post. The information I have learned from just reading has been as valuable as Daryl's contribution to others. I was very excited to see you back posting, and enjoy reading your words of wisdom. You may not have a 'family" as such, but you do have fans in this cyber world, because I am one!

Bruce
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2017, Magic_son wrote:
I know for a fact that I am not alone in saying that you don't have "no one."

Well, comparatively speaking. I've never been married or had kids. That is a good thing. I would have been a lousy provider.

Quote:
I, for one became a member of this café because of your and JoeJoe, and Devious's, Poof-daddy's, Ekuth's, posts. The information I have learned from just reading has been as valuable as Daryl's contribution to others.

Really? I am honored to be included with them! Thank you!

Quote:
I was very excited to see you back posting, and enjoy reading your words of wisdom. You may not have a 'family" as such, but you do have fans in this cyber world, because I am one!

Bruce

I didn't think anyone noticed I was gone! A year and a half. Fans? Me?? Wow! I will try to live up to that. Smile

Doug
RowB
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of RowB
What a tragedy. Smile Walking through the castle the days after was surreal.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, RowB wrote:
What a tragedy. Smile Walking through the castle the days after was surreal.

To be sure, RowB. Another tragic thing is, this will always be a part of The Castle's legacy. That Parlour will always be know as "where Daryl died". Drat. I'm wiping tears as I type. Daryl...one of the TRUE greats. And the thought of him visiting room to room before it happened...silently saying goodbye to everyone...God! If they only knew!

I kinda gave up Spooky Magic for now. The deaths of Daryl, Gary Kosnitzky and Bob Cassidy hit me HARD. Death ain't fun or funny.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL